Hoiberg's keys to beating Texas Tech

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
It's a good game to try and fix these problems. Hopefully the guys can figure it out in time for Saturday. We'll need to rebound well against Purple Kansas and the rest of the upper-Big12.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Guards need to box out. It will be interesting to see whether ISU fixes that problem or TT exploits it...
Yep. Fred explicitly stated in his Monday conference that guards not getting a body on someone was one of the issues with rebounding in the WVU and TCU games. He also said there were some unlucky bounces in the TCU game, which although true, you usually do not hear the coach saying that.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
for the record, kenpom.com has TCU at #258 and TTU at #262.

Tech is much better offensively than TCU (234 vs 329), but still not good.

They are a much worse defensive team (276 vs 116). And they play at a pace similar to us, rather than glacially like TCU.

So this game should be up in the 70's, and we shouldn't have any problem scoring the ball. I predict that we make Tech look like a good offensive team for a while, then get stingy on defense late in the game and pull away to a 82-67 win.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland

They are a much worse defensive team (276 vs 116). And they play at a pace similar to us, rather than glacially like TCU.

So this game should be up in the 70's, and we shouldn't have any problem scoring the ball. I predict that we make Tech look like a good offensive team for a while, then get stingy on defense late in the game and pull away to a 82-67 win.

I was thinking along these lines as well. I think we'll probably come out slow, maybe only be up by a few at half, then explode to beat them by about twenty.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

There is no room for your so-called "facts" here.
:jimlad:

I think you are right. Their style of play definitely plays into the Cyclones' hands.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Guards need to box out. It will be interesting to see whether ISU fixes that problem or TT exploits it...

Seems to be a bigger problem than just the guards. Everyone seems to be playing hard on offense and defense, but relying on athleticism to get some rebounds we might not get otherwise, but not focusing enough on rebounding position. Lots of times, we are just clearing out and going down court after our shots. Or, we are letting their bigs get inside position for easy offensive rebounds and put-back shots. I haven't thought the guards not boxing out was much worse of a problem than our bigs not boxing out.

We are doing okay anyway, but it is one of those areas where improvement could take us to the next level. We are going to need to be a much better rebounding team.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I haven't thought the guards not boxing out was much worse of a problem than our bigs not boxing out.

We are doing okay anyway, but it is one of those areas where improvement could take us to the next level. We are going to need to be a much better rebounding team.

This dynamic is somewhat analogous to teams blitzing us on offense in football. If we do not rebound well enough to exploit them attacking the glass with our transition game, the more teams will attack the glass. In that way I kind of agree, because if we are forced to completely commit more resources to the defensive boards, they have already won.

Really, it is a fine line. The guards need to do a better job at chipping before leaking out. The bigs (Booker and Gibson) need to forget going for blocks and starting owning the boards regardless of numbers. A little better defense to prevent disadvantageous rotations would help too.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I see we opened up as a 10.5 or 11 point favorite. About the same as the TCU game. Hopefully the results are the same.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
I see we opened up as a 10.5 or 11 point favorite. About the same as the TCU game. Hopefully the results are the same.

I'd rather see us win by 20+...come out on fire and never look back.

Which, if we solve the rebounding issues, should be a no-brainer.