Hartzell, UNI AD, resigns

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
I just heard on the news that UNI's AD is stepping down and they will have an interim AD in place as of Feb. 1st. I just heard it on KCCI and don't have a link or anything. Anybody else know anything?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Re: UNI AD

He is threatening to leave if some of his demands are not met. It doesn't have anything to do with money.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

I don't care what anyone says, it never seemed right to me that this guy was an AD at UNI and reffing D1 basketball games. A couple years ago when UNI was a bubble team and he was reffing a game of another bubble team, I don't care how "professional" you are, in my eyes there was a definite conflict of interest.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com

yep, this is all true stuff. We've all known about this for awhile - probably won't have that big of an effect on athletics at UNI in the immediate future. All i know is i would not want that position other than that it pays better than what i do. supposedly there are some real hardheaded people in the university's administration.

This reminds me, we need to protect Pollard. someone make sure he is staying at Iowa State right now!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

I don't care what anyone says, it never seemed right to me that this guy was an AD at UNI and reffing D1 basketball games. A couple years ago when UNI was a bubble team and he was reffing a game of another bubble team, I don't care how "professional" you are, in my eyes there was a definite conflict of interest.

I don't disagree at all. Seems like an obvious conflict of interest to me. Even if you aren't refing your own team - the outcome of other teams you officiate could have an impact on your program

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

As someone who has had interactions with Rick in other forms of business' he is involved in (Mainly Motorsports) I can tell you he is a good guy and I believe in his refereeing and his ADing he keeps them seperate and while on the surface there may appear to be a conflict the integrity he has wouldn't allow it.

Back the topic of Rick resigning. Rick has many business interests outside of UNI like I said above mainly in Motorsports. He owns a 2 car race team (his wife Jill drives one of the cars) and they travel quite a bit for this in the summer and Jill is now currently involved in the NASCAR drivers diversity program. Rick is also a part owner of 3 Wide Media a print company that publishes Motorsports (they will be doing an article on Vanillathrilla and myself in March or April) magazines in the U.S. Along with that it is rumored but not confirmed in the Iowa racing community that he will be running a race track that is in the Cedar Falls area this summer. Oh yeah and add to all that that he and Jill had a baby last year about this time. I honestly do not know when the guy has time to sleep!!!

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota

Rick is a class guy and a outstanding AD, he has done a great job at UNI, they will miss him.

I am not sure his passion, love for UNI, and what he has accomplished will be replaced.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Bad Timing

I can understand if Hartzel had some problems with who he was reporting to & wanted a salary bump, but IMO the timing was poor.

Were things so bad that he couldn't last 4 more months? He should have stayed until the spring season was over and moved on.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Between yesterday and today, overheard some individuals discussing this in Ames. More than one or two people saw it coming.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006

As someone who has had interactions with Rick in other forms of business' he is involved in (Mainly Motorsports) I can tell you he is a good guy and I believe in his refereeing and his ADing he keeps them seperate and while on the surface there may appear to be a conflict the integrity he has wouldn't allow it.

Back the topic of Rick resigning. Rick has many business interests outside of UNI like I said above mainly in Motorsports. He owns a 2 car race team (his wife Jill drives one of the cars) and they travel quite a bit for this in the summer and Jill is now currently involved in the NASCAR drivers diversity program. Rick is also a part owner of 3 Wide Media a print company that publishes Motorsports (they will be doing an article on Vanillathrilla and myself in March or April) magazines in the U.S. Along with that it is rumored but not confirmed in the Iowa racing community that he will be running a race track that is in the Cedar Falls area this summer. Oh yeah and add to all that that he and Jill had a baby last year about this time. I honestly do not know when the guy has time to sleep!!!

And none of this has anything to do with his resigning. He wanted to report to the prez and he wanted a contract extension. The prez blew him off so he quit. Good for him.