Royce White featured on next week's HBO Real Sports

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
Not sure if this has been posted or not. Should be interesting. Especially since my on line cable guide refers to him as "football player Royce White".

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks for the information. Looking forward to the interview.
Here is some more specifics: Tuesday 10PM Eastern / 9PM Central HBO
HBO Real Sports - Royce White
View attachment 17693
.."Royce White, the 16th overall pick in last summer's NBA draft, has yet to play for the Houston Rockets. The 6' 8" power forward's absence isn't due to lackluster performance or injury, but an anxiety disorder that, among other things, makes air travel extremely difficult for him, something no NBA franchise has had to face before with such a high-profile individual. Determined to ensure that the club, league and players association accommodate his needs, the Minnesota native refused to report to the team last fall until a “mental health protocol" was prepared and signed by all parties. The situation reached a tipping point Jan. 6 when White was suspended for failing to perform his contract. In this REAL SPORTS/Sports Illustrated collaboration, correspondent Bernard Goldberg travels to Houston to meet the engaging and thoughtful 21-year-old for his first TV interview since the controversy erupted. White details the depth of his anxiety disorder, how he copes with it and what he feels needs to be done to ensure he is provided a safe work environment. "..

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Hopefully he goes into some detail as to what accommodations he expects the Rockets to provide. He has been very vague about what he expects outside of saying a "protocol", and I'm very curious what exactly these are these expectations.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This is petty and not politically correct, but I do not want this program to make him seem sympathetic...

I wouldn't even bother watching it if I were you. Obviously your mind is made up, and the only reason you would watch is to get ****** if it doesn't fit what you perceive to be the truth.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I wouldn't even bother watching it if I were you. Obviously your mind is made up, and the only reason you would watch is to get ****** if it doesn't fit what you perceive to be the truth.

Very true on this account. Sorta true in others areas as well but I've always been fairly honest with my shortcomings.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Go on whatever show you want but the sports world already knows you are nothing more than a little primadonna *****.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
They're also supposed to talk about him and his situation on ESPN's OTL Tuesday at 2pm...

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Thanks for the information. Looking forward to the interview.
Here is some more specifics: Tuesday 10PM Eastern / 9PM Central HBO
HBO Real Sports - Royce White
View attachment 17693
.."Royce White, the 16th overall pick in last summer's NBA draft, has yet to play for the Houston Rockets. The 6' 8" power forward's absence isn't due to lackluster performance or injury, but an anxiety disorder that, among other things, makes air travel extremely difficult for him, something no NBA franchise has had to face before with such a high-profile individual. Determined to ensure that the club, league and players association accommodate his needs, the Minnesota native refused to report to the team last fall until a “mental health protocol" was prepared and signed by all parties. The situation reached a tipping point Jan. 6 when White was suspended for failing to perform his contract. In this REAL SPORTS/Sports Illustrated collaboration, correspondent Bernard Goldberg travels to Houston to meet the engaging and thoughtful 21-year-old for his first TV interview since the controversy erupted. White details the depth of his anxiety disorder, how he copes with it and what he feels needs to be done to ensure he is provided a safe work environment. "..

What, don't dunk in my face......don't steal the ball......don't foul too hard......no harsh language......let me score......give me the ball.....don't make me sweat....what? Is the ball leaking toxic substances...are the uniforms made of toxic material....do the courts not meet OSHA regs.....what? Or is it:

don't expect me to show up and give 100% because right now I don't feel like working and you better not be critical because of this disorder you have no clue what I go through even though I have no anxiety fighting with this multi million dollar business and tweet all sorts of BS about them because I am a victim because they want me to do it their way not mine...when I may not feel like it and I certainly am NOT going to play "D" league ball because the Rockets owe me the chance to do what I want..when I want..with who I want!

Reactions: cyfanatic

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Ultimate Rockets » Royce White suggests potential mental health solutions

Suspended Rockets rookie forward Royce White has confirmed that he wants the team to hire a physician – a “medical point person,” in his words – with authority to determine whether White’s generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder will allow him to practice or play each day.

I don't really understand Royces logic (per usual). He says the Rockets don't want Harden to break his ankle and I'm sure they dont, no more than they want Royce to have mental health issues, but if Harden was injured they would expect him to be going to rehab and doing everything he could to recover. Royce isn't doing anything to get better, in basketball or w/ his disorder. He may have been very unclear in his twitter rants in weeks past but now that he's speaking w/ national media it's becoming clear he's just an entitled, selfish, child.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems like Hoiberg's trust (and his trust of Hoiberg) went a long way, even though it was informal. In fact, it seems like it turned nearly into a non-issue. The only accommodation that was made public was driving to March Madness.

Where this not trust, he thinks there needs to be formal agreement . . . which he isn't going to get.

The only solution I see is for White and Rockets to agree to criteria related to the protocol. It can't just be that White gets to rely on his family doctor to determine what is safe for him and when he can play. They need to agree on criteria for a doctor who specializes in this (maybe there is even a board certification that is relevant). Then White has to allow the Rockets to hire a doctor who meets the criteria and agree to what that doctor says. Seems like a stretch, but it is the only solution I see.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Seems like Hoiberg's trust (and his trust of Hoiberg) went a long way, even though it was informal. In fact, it seems like it turned nearly into a non-issue. The only accommodation that was made public was driving to March Madness.

Where this not trust, he thinks there needs to be formal agreement . . . which he isn't going to get.

The only solution I see is for White and Rockets to agree to criteria related to the protocol. It can't just be that White gets to rely on his family doctor to determine what is safe for him and when he can play. They need to agree on criteria for a doctor who specializes in this (maybe there is even a board certification that is relevant). Then White has to allow the Rockets to hire a doctor who meets the criteria and agree to what that doctor says. Seems like a stretch, but it is the only solution I see.

Only solution is for RW to officially quit and the Rockets to officially cut him and sue for any money paid.

RW is the Rosa Parks of spoiled brats... No disrespect to Rosa, MUCH disrespect to RW.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I don't really understand Royces logic (per usual). He says the Rockets don't want Harden to break his ankle and I'm sure they dont, no more than they want Royce to have mental health issues, but if Harden was injured they would expect him to be going to rehab and doing everything he could to recover. Royce isn't doing anything to get better, in basketball or w/ his disorder. He may have been very unclear in his twitter rants in weeks past but now that he's speaking w/ national media it's becoming clear he's just an entitled, selfish, child.

Plus if Harden's ankle did not get better (with or without rehab), the Rockets would cut Harden.