Should BBall players have to wait a year to enter the NBA draft?

Should BBall players have to wait a year (+) to enter the draft?

• No, they should be able to jump straight to the NBA

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Yes, 1 year minimum

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Yes, 2 years minimum

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Yes, 3 years minimum

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Yes, 4 years minimum

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

tre

Mar 21, 2010
I say kids should be allowed to go straight from HS to the NBA, but if they go to college they be required to stay for 3 years before making the jump.

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
Players should be able to go straight from HS to the NBA if they want, but if they choose to play in college, they should be forced to stay for at least 2 years.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I dont know what is best, but the 1 and done is not the way to go. I see no reason to MAKE kids go to college first, but I agree that if they do, they should be required to stay for a few years, especially if they are getting a full ride. Maybe do something along the lines of if you are on scholarship, you need to get a degree before you go to the NBA. If you want to go to college for a few years and then jump ship, pay your own way.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
It will never go back to kids being allowed to go right from high school, the NBA already has won that battle they don't want to reverse course on that and give up a year of free marketing. I do think the NBA will push the union for a 2 year removed rule in the next CBA.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I dont know what is best, but the 1 and done is not the way to go. I see no reason to MAKE kids go to college first, but I agree that if they do, they should be required to stay for a few years, especially if they are getting a full ride. Maybe do something along the lines of if you are on scholarship, you need to get a degree before you go to the NBA. If you want to go to college for a few years and then jump ship, pay your own way.

Reduces scouting costs, provides the NBA with well known players due to a year of free marketing from the NCAA. There's plenty of reasons why the NBA doesn't want high schoolers coming straight into the league.

K

KFitzy87

2 years seems more appropriate. 1 year is too short for development reasons and is inconvenient for colleges/coaches. 3 years, like in football, is a bit too long.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I say kids should be allowed to go straight from HS to the NBA, but if they go to college they be required to stay for 3 years before making the jump.

/THREAD
This way the LeBron and Garnets could go pro, but marginal players would think twice.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
I think it is a crock that they 'make' a guy wait a year before they go to the NBA. I should ultimately be left the individual but that's not what is best for the NCAA nor the NBA so I doubt we see that again.

The NBA draft has turned into a joke after about the 15th pick. Might as well let HS players be eligible rather than drafting a player from overseas that can't come to the NBA for a few years anyway.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think it is a crock that they 'make' a guy wait a year before they go to the NBA. I should ultimately be left the individual but that's not what is best for the NCAA nor the NBA so I doubt we see that again.

The NBA draft has turned into a joke after about the 15th pick. Might as well let HS players be eligible rather than drafting a player from overseas that can't come to the NBA for a few years anyway.

Yeah, protecting their product, what a crock!

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
1 and Done's make it so there will only be records broken on occasion in the NCAA while in the NBA records are being broken all the time. (See Kobe 30K, Nash 10K ast, LeBron 20K)

it is ruining college basketball and making it hard on NBA teams. Players are not physically or mentally ready. (See Royce White)

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
1 and Done's make it so there will only be records broken on occasion in the NCAA while in the NBA records are being broken all the time. (See Kobe 30K, Nash 10K ast, LeBron 20K)

it is ruining college basketball and making it hard on NBA teams. Players are not physically or mentally ready. (See Royce White)

It's actually making it much easier on NBA teams, they no longer have to waste time scouting high schoolers, plus they have at least a year to evaluate players against better competition that's no in an AAU setting, this is very valuable, especially for scouting big men.

Royce White was three years removed from high school, he would not be affected by changing the rule to 2 or 3 years out, he would have still been eligible.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Yeah, no way they require a degree.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It's actually making it much easier on NBA teams, they no longer have to waste time scouting high schoolers, plus they have at least a year to evaluate players against better competition that's no in an AAU setting, this is very valuable, especially for scouting big men.

Royce White was three years removed from high school, he would not be affected by changing the rule to 2 or 3 years out, he would have still been eligible.

NBA was much worse off when teams reached for HS players and they completely bombed.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames

This exactly. I think that Baseball has that portion of it right. (we can leave out the Junior college part though)

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Yeah, protecting their product, what a crock!

Never said it isn't better for them to have to play a year in college...just saying it should be left up to the individual and let them make their own choice. There are examples on both sides of this argument were college would have been good for some and not needed for others.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
2 years seems more appropriate. 1 year is too short for development reasons and is inconvenient for colleges/coaches. 3 years, like in football, is a bit too long.

2 years seems right. Whether coming from HS or a Junior College, you should have at least 2 years in a program - that would align the two, somewhat.

tre

Mar 21, 2010

Steve Nash went to college...graduated from Santa Clara University. LeBron was absolutely ready for the NBA right out of HS. I'd say he was one of the few where it actually made sense for him to go straight to the league.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron