Questioning Hoiberg's coaching? Read this.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Its to bad everyone over on Phog.net thinks that Hoiberg isn't a coach at all. Most of them think were just a run and gun team that gets lucky. Very few thought we had a "game plan" and that we were just "lucky" that we had a decent shooting night from 3 point range. I think Hoiberg is a hell of coach, and the big 12 should thank us on how to beat KU. I can't wait till we beat them on Big Monday in February.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Fred had a great gameplan, but more importantly good players to execute it. Some people here need to remember where the program was when he arrived and save their stupid commentary. We are seeing exactly what we saw last year, a team with many questions starting to come together and play at a high level, a level most never accomplish at the Phog.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Kansas fans I spoke to at the game were blown away by Hoiberg's game plan. They knew that this wasn't a lucky night by a bad team.

Some of the college-age people that really only know the McD-era Clones didn't think much about it either way. They simply expect KU to win (with very good reason), and they were surprised to see that game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Fred had a great gameplan, but more importantly good players to execute it. Some people here need to remember where the program was when he arrived and save their stupid commentary. We are seeing exactly what we saw last year, a team with many questions starting to come together and play at a high level, a level most never accomplish at the Phog.

Should we note that he's done that 2 years in a row, with 2.5 years in his life as a head coach?

Fred is developing at an amazing rate, both the program and as a coach.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Its to bad everyone over on Phog.net thinks that Hoiberg isn't a coach at all. Most of them think were just a run and gun team that gets lucky. Very few thought we had a "game plan" and that we were just "lucky" that we had a decent shooting night from 3 point range. I think Hoiberg is a hell of coach, and the big 12 should thank us on how to beat KU. I can't wait till we beat them on Big Monday in February.

Thats too bad. Sounds like Phog.net is special like EMAW.

i see a lot of KU fans on twitter saying he's the 2nd best coach in the Conf, and ISU is always going to play them tough.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
He is so smart. He said as he was going up through the ranks from college to the NBA he always paid attention to coaching to figure out what worked and didn't work. It really shows in how much he's grown since he got here. He coaches with much more experience than he actually has.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Hoiberg's approach to neutralize Withey was innovative enough that Rob Dauster has written a nice piece explaining how he attacked KU on offense.

Breaking Down: Iowa State’s upset bid, a clinic on neutralizing shotblockers | CollegeBasketballTalk

He wasn't the only one to notice:

Fran Fraschilla@franfraschilla Don't practice it enough and some don't believe. RT @Ernie_Webb_3: why do coaches not foul up three in the closing seconds?

Fran Fraschilla@franfraschilla
Absolutely...if he choose to be. He and family love Ames! RT @shanefinnegan1: @franfraschilla Do you see Fred Hoiberg as an NBA coach?

Rarely get too excited about coaching performances but Fred Hoiberg can coach. And, Bill Self ran same play that got Chalmers shot in NCAA's

Can't wait for KU-ISU rematch @ Hilton Coliseum on Big Monday in late February. It's one of the underrated great atmospheres in the country!

@DohertyMatt on target about Fred Hoiberg turning KU's defensive strength--Withey at the rim-into disadvantage by making him defend outside.

@JWalt_KU Nope, same play but Chalmers shot it off FIRST option, the dribble handoff.

Agreed! RT @JamesKman13: KU's been doing that play since he was at Illinois. ISU finally had it guarded. Except this time, 2nd option.

Both! RT @Brad_Hope: @franfraschilla Bad defense from KU or great gameplan from Hoiberg tonite? Forced Self to go small.

Five teams fighting for second place: ISU, OSU, KSU, BU and OU. RT @TH___3: @franfraschilla your Iowa state B12 and tourney predictions?

Most of these tweets were from followers of Fran......asking questions. For you non-twitter people to follow this....Fran did not ask any questions.....only gave responses.

What I thought was impressive and encouraging about last night was that not only did CFH have a plan......the players executed it well.

Last edited:

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
I'm mad as hell about the lose because I hate seeing us lose, but Fred IS ONE HELL OF A COACH!!!! And he's getting better every year. So glad he's here and getting national attention. Hopefully he stays around.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Love CFH. I was very impressed with this team last night as a whole. That was probably one of the best game plans I have seen executed. We have a good young coach who will only get better. I have watched Kansas a couple times so far this year and was absolutely smiling about the game plan we were watching because no other team has done that.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
It's tough for guys to step outside the box a little bit and try something different. Fred isn't that guy, he's innovative, fearless, and is going to win a national championship here before it's all said and done.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I think anyone that knows anything about basketball knows Fred can coach and that there have been many many changes since the Iowa game. Less Clyburn with the ball, more Niang iso, more McGee, more zone, less Booker, those are a few of the obvious ones. He has showed that in the last year and a half he adapts to his players and as the season goes on and he figures out what he has. He isn't perfect and is still young and will make mistakes like everyone else.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
It hurts to see Chris Babb play such poor defense on that final play. His man set the screen down on McGee, and Babb came right down into the paint with him, making the screen twice as big.

Why wouldn't he remain at the 3-point line to help contest a shot? We could not care less about a made two-pointer with 1 second left!

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Hoiberg has exceeded my wildest expectations. He does so many things well, and I think he finds people to help him do what he can't. This is a great lesson on ego. People who have great ego can't think clearly. Hoiberg sits on the bench and thinks clearly, even when he is behind. Most of us are guided by our ego. It blurs our perception of reality.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think anyone that knows anything about basketball knows Fred can coach and that there have been many many changes since the Iowa game. Less Clyburn with the ball, more Niang iso, more McGee, more zone, less Booker, those are a few of the obvious ones. He has showed that in the last year and a half he adapts to his players and as the season goes on and he figures out what he has. He isn't perfect and is still young and will make mistakes like everyone else.

The next several years are going to be amazing when:

1. He has players that have been in his system for several years so he knows what he has going into seasons instead of having to figure that out during the season.

and

2. He is pulling elite level talent in on a yearly basis such that his teams are capable of winning on sheer talent alone while Hoiberg is figuring out what he has.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
This is why this is so much fun. Yes, we have lost some games this year and last night's game was a hard one to swallow, but Fred is only in year 3 and still has many 1-year players. Coach K did not make the tournament until his 4th year at Duke which was his 9th season overall. He had 2 losing seasons in his first 3 years at Duke. But is the top coach in college history now. It takes time to build a program and Fred is doing that. I think he will do great things at ISU and will stay at ISU to see them through.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron