Niang's technical

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What did Niang get the technical for? On TV, they talked about the refs being more vigilant this year regarding sportsmanship. Apparently, it was something Niang said (for which he had an apology reported in this morning's paper).

So, what did he say? Who did he say it to? And what were the surrounding circumstances?

It sure hurt us when he fouled out.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
What did Niang get the technical for? On TV, they talked about the refs being more vigilant this year regarding sportsmanship. Apparently, it was something Niang said (for which he had an apology reported in this morning's paper).

So, what did he say? Who did he say it to? And what were the surrounding circumstances?

It sure hurt us when he fouled out.

If you watch after it, he tells one of the players on the bench that he said "F*** you" to the player that bumped him.

Kind of ridiculous.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The refs were looking at something on the replay TV after the call. Were they really checking what he said and who he said it to?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yeah. Because I can promise you much worse things are said in the game.

I believe he said it to the player.

But if he said it to the ref, yeah, he deserved it.

Disagree 100% Niang deserved it if that's what he said.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The refs were looking at something on the replay TV after the call. Were they really checking what he said and who he said it to?

Well, I'm not sure what they were looking at. You couldn't see anything on TV, and if he did something physical, surely the cameras would've caught it, or at least one announcer would've seen it.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
As if that was the only utterance of the phrase all night!

It was the only time the phrase f*** you was heard by the refs. If Niang turns the ball over, for example, and responds by saying f***and gets t'd up, then I agree, ridiculous call. However, by directing a F*** you directly to another player of the opposite team, you're looking for some in game drama to start, and at that point a technical is well deserved.

K

KFitzy87

I respect your opinion, but much worse things are said on the court.

In fact, watch Tyrus McGee. Biggest trash talker on the team, and I promise he isn't saying: "Yo momma makes terrible cookies."
Tyrus is awesome.

Wasn't it Elijah Johnson that flat out shoved Korie with two arms? With no foul call? BS.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
[h=3]Sportsmanship[/h]A sportsmanship initiative from the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules Committees will be implemented this season. It calls for more stringent adherence regarding bench decorum by coaches and bench personnel.
Basketball rules committee members believe the following behaviors hurt the image of the game and should result in a technical foul against the coach or other bench personnel:

• Comments directed at or referring to any game official that question the integrity of an official (repeated references to the number of fouls called against each team; suggesting an official is “cheating” a team, etc.).
  • Profane, vulgar, threatening, or derogatory remarks or personal comments relating to race, ethnicity, religion, gender or sexual orientation directed at or referring to any game official or opposing player/bench personnel.
  • Prolonged, negative responses to a call/no-call that are disrespectful or unprofessional, including waving or thrashing the arms in disgust, dramatizing contact by re-enacting the play, or running or jumping in disbelief over a call/non-call.
  • A negative response to a call/no-call that includes approaching/charging an official in a hostile, aggressive or otherwise threatening manner, emphatically removing one’s coat in response to a call/no-call, or throwing equipment or clothing on to the floor.
  • Continual criticism during a game regarding the same incident after being warned by an official.
Committee members understand there will be spontaneous reactions to calls, but they don’t want prolonged responses to harm the game environment.

New rules go into effect for winter sports - NCAA.org

This is about "bench decorum." I don't see anything here about players.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I respect your opinion, but much worse things are said on the court.

In fact, watch Tyrus McGee. Biggest trash talker on the team, and I promise he isn't saying: "Yo momma makes terrible cookies."

Such as? Id like to hear some examples of much worse things said. I use the word f*** quite a bit in a day, but I rarely direct a f*** you towards anyone.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think we can all agree it probably shouldn't have been said.

But Kansas does have the advantage. They probably did their trash talking when the crowd was loud.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If you watch after it, he tells one of the players on the bench that he said "F*** you" to the player that bumped him.

Kind of ridiculous.

If this is what happened, then there are going to be a lot of technicals called this year.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Such as? Id like to hear some examples of much worse things said. I use the word f*** quite a bit in a day, but I rarely direct a f*** you towards anyone.

Due to privacy issues I am not allowed to say any specific things.

But lets just say our team has a good time on the court.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron