Rank our players

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Assignment for the day - rank ISU's rotation players (Babb, Booker, Clyburn, Ejim, Gibson, Lucious, McGee, Niang) 1 through 8. Rank based on how good they are today all-around, and not on future potential. I'm just curious to see how good people think these guys are in relation to each other, because I could see a lot of opinions going so many different ways.

Here's their minutes per game, points per game, and their PER score (higher is better; 15.0 is average), sorted by MPG:

NameMinutes per GamePoint per GameESPN PER
Babb31.59.213.06
Lucious30.09.710.48
Clyburn29.314.120.30
McGee23.813.427.40
Ejim23.510.522.52
Niang21.810.824.84
Gibson16.87.621.39
Booker15.45.418.10

Interestingly, as you cans see above, PER sees our two players who get the most minutes as our worst two players, and only two below-average players.

Anyway, here's how I'd rank them, with the full understanding that there will be plenty of disagreement here:

1. Ejim
2. McGee
3. Niang
4. Clyburn
5. Babb
6. Lucious
7. Gibson
8. Booker

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I rank them in order of the PER, with maybe Babb over Booker and maybe over Clyburn since defense isn't factored in as well.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
1. McGee
2. Niang
3. Clyburn
4. Ejim
5. Lucious
6. Babb
7. Gibson
8. Booker

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
1. McGee (has lapses on defense)
2. Clyburn (leading scorer, second in rebounds. Needs to limit turnovers)
3. Niang (Brings the most energy along with McGee)
4. Ejim (his rebounding is key)
5. Babb (defense is why he's 5th)
6. Lucious (Once he limits turnovers he will be fine. Capable scorer.)
7. Gibson (needs to get back to playing with Niang. I don't know why that stopped)
8. Booker (he should be so much better.)

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
1. McGee (has lapses on defense)
2. Clyburn (leading scorer, second in rebounds. Needs to limit turnovers)
3. Niang (Brings the most energy along with McGee)
4. Ejim (his rebounding is key)
5. Babb (defense is why he's 5th)
6. Lucious (Once he limits turnovers he will be fine. Capable scorer.)
7. Gibson (needs to get back to playing with Niang. I don't know why that stopped)
8. Booker (he should be so much better.)

I would pretty much go with this and possibly switch Ejim and Niang.

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
This is a tough exercise because it seems like every player has his niche. So, I've tried to rank using three metrics: Offense, defense, and rebounding. Not a lot of Real Numbers behind the rankings, and you could argue that rebounding should not count as much or should be incorporated into O/D, but nonetheless:

Offense:
1. McGee
2. Niang
3. Babb
4. Clyburn
5. Gibson
6. Ejim
7. Lucious
8. Booker

Babb might be surprising at 3, but possession-based statistics show that he's been very efficient. The main reason I didn't put Clyburn above is because of TO issues. Ejim and Booker, and Gibson to a lesser extent, need a facilitator to get them the ball in the right place.

Defense:
1. Babb
2. Lucious
3. McGee
4. Booker
5. Clyburn
6. Niang
7. Gibson
8. Ejim

Lucious is adept at running the press, and I hope Hoiberg runs it more often. McGee is sometimes overaggressive, but he seems to get at least one surprising block and steal per game. I'm not sure Ejim deserves to be on the bottom, but he does seem overmatched at times. Only reason I put Gibson above him is because of block potential.

Rebounding:
1. Ejim
2. Clyburn
3. Booker
4. McGee
5. Niang
6. Gibson
7. Babb
8. Lucious

Again, another McGee surprise is his rebounding ability. For better or worse, I noticed him on the block for ISU FTs yesterday instead of Clyburn.

Overall (Total):
1. McGee (8)
2. Babb (11)
3. Clyburn (11)
4. Niang (13)
5. Ejim (15)
6. Booker (15)
7. Lucious (17)
8. Gibson (18)

This team is stacked 2-4, which is both a problem and a blessing, but we didn't need this rating thing to figure that out.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Clyburn (leads in all stats)
Ejim (best post player)
McGee (best shooter)
Babb (best Defender)
Niang
Lucious
Gibson
Booker

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
1. McGhee. For scoring ability and effort.
2. Ejim. Double-doubles aren't a problem. Listens to coaches.
3. Niang. Going to only get better. Needs to get in better shape, but only a freshman.
4. Lucious. Can play pretty well when he's focused.
5. Babb. Hope he can continue to improve. Being able to take it to the basket instead of launching would help, like we did with Scotty.
6. Clyborn, I mean burn (come on Doerrfeld). Never know what's going to happen, so I have him this low. I can't stand the inconsistency.
7. Gibson. Love his ability to score, but I just yell and laugh at the same time at the matador defense.
8. Booker. If everyone could hit the gym like him, that would be great.

All subject to change, just how I feel at this exact minute.

nate42smith

Oct 23, 2008
Two people have Mcgee ranked second, one person ranked him third, and every other poster ranked him first. I agree with the general consensus and I think Mcgee should start and see 10 more mins per game. I know its not an easy answer...who do u sit, but I think he's too valuable to not have on the floor more. He did nothing but confirm this opinion for me in the few games he did start this year. Also, I think that Tyrus has earned the title and respect that comes with being called a starter.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Two people have Mcgee ranked second, one person ranked him third, and every other poster ranked him first. I agree with the general consensus and I think Mcgee should start and see 10 more mins per game. I know its not an easy answer...who do u sit, but I think he's too valuable to not have on the floor more. He did nothing but confirm this opinion for me in the few games he did start this year. Also, I think that Tyrus has earned the title and respect that comes with being called a starter.

I was looking at these rankings and caught myself thinking that Lucious, Babb, McGee, Ejim, and Niang should start. Those are roughly the top 5 everybody is putting. (Some difference, but not much)

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I was looking at these rankings and caught myself thinking that Lucious, Babb, McGee, Ejim, and Niang should start. Those are roughly the top 5 everybody is putting. (Some difference, but not much)

Problem with that is our tallest player would be 6'7". Tough to win a tip or play D against any center in the Big 12 with that lineup.