Wills in Iowa....

Transient

Apr 17, 2008
I was hoping to avoid spending hours on the 'net and possibly legal fees, does anyone know what it takes to make a will legal in Iowa? Do I need witnesses, how many signatures, does it need to be notarized? I dont have much personal property at all, no land or house. No spouse, or x-spouse, and no dependents. TIA

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
I was hoping to avoid spending hours on the 'net and possibly legal fees, does anyone know what it takes to make a will legal in Iowa? Do I need witnesses, how many signatures, does it need to be notarized? I dont have much personal property at all, no land or house. No spouse, or x-spouse, and no dependents. TIA

man you weren't kidding with the username.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I use Quicken WillMaker from Nolo.com. There is a will format for each state. Two witnesses usually does it, and there are rules as to who they can be. It also can be notarized. A full set of instructions comes with the will software. Lawyers, Legal Forms, Law Books & Software, Free Legal Information - Nolo.com

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
The Iowa State Bar Association

In general, in order for a will to be legally valid in Iowa, a will must be (1) in writing, (2) signed by the person making the will, (3) declared by the person making the will to be his or her will, and (4) witnessed by two competent witnesses who must sign in the presence of the person making the will. The formal requirements of making a will must be strictly followed or Iowa courts will not recognize it as valid.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Transient

Apr 17, 2008
Thanks for the quick replies! I like the intestate (sp) concept, just dump everything on eldest surviving relative hehe.
Also, what does it take to get a executor (intestator) powers to empty my bank accounts after I am gone?

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Thanks for the quick replies! I like the intestate (sp) concept, just dump everything on eldest surviving relative hehe.
Also, what does it take to get a executor (intestator) powers to empty my bank accounts after I am gone?
You name your executor in the will.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron