BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
West Virginia & Syracuse get to play in this:

A_TP0_zCQAAVlnI.jpg

Last edited:

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
When we where there last year it was like 55 degrees for kick. Much better weather to watch a game in ha!

Advantage Syracuse.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I think that's a bit of an overstatement. The offense does quite a bit of reacting also.

Not nearly as much as the defense. The receivers, running backs, and linemen all know where they are going on any given play. Nearly everyone on the defense has to react to the movement of the offensive players.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
WVU/Syracuse fans may elect to be sitting in their hotel rooms to watch this extravaganza....or leave at halftime for drinks.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Not nearly as much as the defense. The receivers, running backs, and linemen all know where they are going on any given play. Nearly everyone on the defense has to react to the movement of the offensive players.

receivers and running backs have an idea of where they're going but are reacting to defenders all over the field and if the field is slippery it's hard for running backs to make good cuts.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
receivers and running backs have an idea of where they're going but are reacting to defenders all over the field and if the field is slippery it's hard for running backs to make good cuts.

I get what you're saying but defenders have no idea where the offensive players are going, giving the offense a leg up already. Along with that, ball carriers know when they are going to cut and where they are going after the cut allowing them to mentally prepare themselves for the slick surface while the defenders are reading/reacting. The surface will be slippery for both teams, but the fact that the ball carriers/offense know where they are going gives them the upper hand.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I get what you're saying but defenders have no idea where the offensive players are going, giving the offense a leg up already. Along with that, ball carriers know when they are going to cut and where they are going after the cut allowing them to mentally prepare themselves for the slick surface while the defenders are reading/reacting. The surface will be slippery for both teams, but the fact that the ball carriers/offense know where they are going gives them the upper hand.

so you think every cut a ball carrier makes is planned out ahead of time? Interesting. QB scrambles, shifts, blitzes, receivers bumped off routes, there's alot more just plain reacting to what the defense gives you than that. I don't think the snow is as big of an advantage for the offense as your saying.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
so you think every cut a ball carrier makes is planned out ahead of time? Interesting. QB scrambles, shifts, blitzes, receivers bumped off routes, there's alot more just plain reacting to what the defense gives you than that. I don't think the snow is as big of an advantage for the offense as your saying.

No, I don't think every ball carrier has every cut planned out ahead of time, but they do know their general direction that they will be going or what they are thinking. They can set something up with a cut and they know when they are going to cut. The defense does not. It's no different in any other game, but when it's played in the snow, mistakes on defense are amplified when trying to react to the offense.

As for you not thinking the snow is a big advantage for the offense, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But most national pundits talking about the game this morning had the same view point as I did regarding the snow favoring the offense.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
On paper the Pinstripe Bowl is a good idea. That's pretty much where the good things end, from a game perspective. Obviously it's an awesome location, but bowl games are supposed to be warm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron