Non Conference Schedule next season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
2013-14 Non Conference Schedule

Here is a look at some important dates for the non conference schedule and the beginning of the conference schedule:

First day of practice-Tues Oct 1

Scrimmage at Creighton-Sun Oct 27

Exhibition vs Augustana(S.D.)-Sun Nov 3

First game vs UNC Wilmington-Sun Nov 10

Thanksgiving break begins for students-Sat Nov 23

Game vs UMKC-Mon Nov 25

Thanksgiving break ends for students-
Sun Dec 1

Finals Week for students: Mon Dec 16-Fri Dec 20

Christmas break begins for students-Sat Dec 21

Diamond Head Classic @ Honolulu-Sun Dec 22, Mon Dec 23, and Wed Dec 25

Game vs Northern Illinois-Tues Dec 31

Game vs Baylor-Tues Jan 7

Christmas break ends for students-Sun Jan 12

Game vs Kansas-Mon Jan 13

Here is our full Schedule:

http://www.cyclones.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=10700&SPID=4252&SPSID=46663

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneErik

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I think we get one or two more games then that. I believe in the past the Hawaii tourneys like that only count as 1 or 2 games on the schedule that is why you see the teams that play in those alot with more games played. That may not be true anymore but I know it use to that way.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I think we get one or two more games then that. I believe in the past the Hawaii tourneys like that only count as 1 or 2 games on the schedule that is why you see the teams that play in those alot with more games played. That may not be true anymore but I know it use to that way.

They do only count as 1. All teams every year don't play more than 12 to 13 games though. We play 13 every year.

Karsten21

May 4, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Here is a look at what our schedule might possibly look like next year. I based the dates off of trends of our past scheduling and trends of schedules from teams that have participated in the diamond head classic that have 10 teams in their conference.

Important Dates (all dates are guesses)

Midnight Madness Friday October 11

Scrimmage Sunday October 27

Exhibition Sunday November 3

First official day of college bball Friday November 8

Thanksgiving break Sat Nov 23-Sun Dec 1

Finals Week Mon Dec 16-Fri Dec 20

Diamond Head Classic Sun Dec 22, Mon Dec 23, and Wed Dec 25

Start of conference play Sat January 4

Non Conference Schedule (all dates are guesses; bolded teams are the teams that we are for sure playing)

Fri Nov 8 Low Major team?

Tues Nov 12 Low Major team?

Wed Nov 20 Low Major team?

Sun Nov 24 Low Major team?

Sun Dec 1 UMKC

Tues Dec 3 Big 12/SEC challenge?

Fri Dec 6 Iowa

Wed Dec 10 Michigan

Sat Dec 14 UNI @ WF Arena

Sun Dec 22 Diamond Head Classic-Low Major/Mid Major

Mon Dec 23 Diamond Head Classic-Mid Major/High Major

Wed Dec 25 Diamond Head Classic-Mid Major/High Major

Tues Dec 31 @ BYU

Sat Jan 4 Start of conference play

I put the Michigan game on a Wednesday instead of a Saturday because I don't see too many available Saturdays that aren't early in the season where our students will be on campus. So Wed Dec 10 seemed fitting since the students will be on campus then. I would love to see BYU later in the non conference compared to an early season road game, and that's why I placed it on New Years Eve. I would love to see us progressively play harder teams the closer we get to conference play to make it an easier transition from non conference to conference play. Hopefully this is how the schedule pans out!
I didn't know we are playing in that tourney next year, missed that one. Who are other teams?

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I didn't know we are playing in that tourney next year, missed that one. Who are other teams?

South Carolina, Oregon state, saint Marys, George Mason, Hawaii is hosting, maybe Colorado state, and one other un announced team

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Love that you did this.

My eyes light up every time I think of that Michigan game. That should be a great night!

Yeah I just wanted to paint a picture better for people of what our non conference schedule would look like next year.

I love our schedule already next year. Iowa and Michigan are great home games. UNI instead of Drake on a neutral court. At BYU as a true road test. Then possibly a game vs an SEC team. And just think all of those games aren't even part of our yearly tourney where we could play a couple more solid mid and high major teams!

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
That would be a tough stretch playing UMKC, SEC team, Iowa, Michigan and UNI. Not a bad non-conference schedule with that tourney included and the return trip to the mormons.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Thanks for looking into it.

I also wasn't aware of Diamond Head Classic -- love to get back into tournaments like that.

Is Big 12/SEC going to happen officially, or hasn't that been determined? If it does happen, who would we face? I would guess something like Vanderbilt.

If I get time, I'll fill in teams for those early home games just for fun. :smile:

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
That would be a tough stretch playing UMKC, SEC team, Iowa, Michigan and UNI. Not a bad non-conference schedule with that tourney included and the return trip to the mormons.

UMKC is terrible but yeah the stretch of SEC team, Iowa, Michigan, UNI would be brutal. That's usually how most teams schedules are during early December though because they want to play the good teams while the students are on campus in between Thanksgiving and Christmas break.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I say it a lot and it may get annoying but:

Michigan is winning the national championship this year

Duke. I guess I didn't realize we ended up beating UMKC by 15, seemed closer to me. Probably because the video was so bad I couldn't see the score. Still better than some of the early teams we play.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Thanks for looking into it.

I also wasn't aware of Diamond Head Classic -- love to get back into tournaments like that.

Is Big 12/SEC going to happen officially, or hasn't that been determined? If it does happen, who would we face? I would guess something like Vanderbilt.

If I get time, I'll fill in teams for those early home games just for fun. :smile:

The Big 12/SEC challenge is in the works. Not sure who we would play.