KU Going Juco Crrraaazzzzyyyy

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Holy crap. I didn't notice this until now, but has anyone seen a recruiting class like Kansas' next year which is made of of almost entirely Juco kids???? I'm not over-exaggerating either. Take a look for yourself:

College Football Recruiting Schools - ESPN
Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com 2013 Kansas Commitments

By my count, of their 23 total commits, I've got 16 of them being Juco transfers. Don't get me wrong, I've seen KSU (this coming year including) and even ISU to some extent go pretty heavy on the transfers in the past, but has anyone ever gone this crazy with them? That has to be a record or at least near one. That Charlie Weis dude seems either crazy or stupid to me with this. Regardless, it is obvious that he wants to win now over anything, even if it means sacrificing the future. Or, maybe it just means that they had next to zero high school kids wanting to come there until now, so with it late in the game, you take what you can get. As you can see, most committed just recently.

I'd like to know other people's thoughts on this too. I personally prefer our current method where we can nearly redshirt our entire freshman class each year. For a team like ISU, I think that is the answer to long term success.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Not outside of the state of Kansas. Chubby taking a tip from Father Time.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Please have it flop for him....I cant handle losing to KS, ever.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Maybe Ron Prince's desperation class? Hopefully he is just as successful as Prince was.

It's a tough way to make a living but if you can get some instant success you could start building through high school recruiting. IMO 100 times tougher to do in football than basketball because of the numbers. It's a ballsy move because if this fails he won't last long.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm trying to figure out the math on this. I see 26 sophomores on this years roster. I realize that not all of them probably are scholarship players and of the 16 juco's (so far) not every one is probably going to be a junior next fall and maybe a couple will be able to redshirt. Even with those exceptions I don't see how he is going to be able to replace all of those scholarships that will become available fall of 2015 when he can only award 25 a year. It kind of looks to me like Charlie's plan doesn't include being there for the 2015 season.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Maybe Ron Prince's desperation class? Hopefully he is just as successful as Prince was.

It's a tough way to make a living but if you can get some instant success you could start building through high school recruiting. IMO 100 times tougher to do in football than basketball because of the numbers. It's a ballsy move because if this fails he won't last long.

He's not planning on being there long anyway. He planned on trying to get KU on the right track then handing it over pretty quickly to someone else.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Well, 19 of the Top 100 on the ESPN JUCO list are enrolled at community colleges in Kansas, so he has a lot of access to them. Still, though, why would they want to go there? He must be trying to sell the "most amazing turnaround" angle with them, but I doubt if it will work without a NFL draft pick at QB, RB, and WR.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Not unlike ISU Basketball Transfers and Juco to infuse talent and hope it works out. It's high risk but can work, KSU is an example.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
He's not planning on being there long anyway. He planned on trying to get KU on the right track then handing it over pretty quickly to someone else.

I heard him say this too. Guess he doesn't plan on leaving anything left in the cupboard when he leaves either.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I heard him say this too. Guess he doesn't plan on leaving anything left in the cupboard when he leaves either.

Yes.

Hey, Charlie, leaving the cupboard bare is hardly getting KU on the right track.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Not unlike ISU Basketball Transfers and Juco to infuse talent and hope it works out. It's high risk but can work, KSU is an example.

Slightly similar, but like stated above already, football is a somewhat different animal than basketball. For one, there is a difference between D1 proven transfers (Chris Allen, Clyburn) and Juco transfers for both sports. Lastly, football rosters are lots bigger and much harder to reload than a typical basketball recruiting class of around 4 guys.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yes.

Hey, Charlie, leaving the cupboard bare is hardly getting KU on the right track.

The way he said it too is that he'll get the program turned around in all his awesomeness and generosity, and back on track, then he'll hand it off to someone who can continue on his legacy. My guess is that they will have a hard time finding anyone wanting to take on that dung pile of a situation when he leaves.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Well, 19 of the Top 100 on the ESPN JUCO list are enrolled at community colleges in Kansas, so he has a lot of access to them. Still, though, why would they want to go there? He must be trying to sell the "most amazing turnaround" angle with them, but I doubt if it will work without a NFL draft pick at QB, RB, and WR.

The angle for JuCo's that only have 2 years to play would almost have to be instant PT, at least I'd think that is what it would be.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Apples and oranges.

Agreed. There is currently no (Tim Floyd) rule I am aware of that limits a team to replacing less than 30% of their BB scholarships in any one year. The 25 rule does this for football. If there was such a rule for BB, Iowa State would have an issue next year being unable to fill all of their schollys as they have 5 scholarship seniors leaving the program and have to replace 5/13 or almost 40% of their schollies.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The angle for JuCo's that only have 2 years to play would almost have to be instant PT, at least I'd think that is what it would be.

To go along with this, I think it is safe to say that the team they will bring out onto the field next year will probably have a lot of different players than the one they fielded this year. You don't exactly bring in that many jucos expecting them all to develop over time and contribute in the future. With Jucos, there is no future, only now.

Last edited:

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
To go along with this. I think it is safe to say that the team they will bring out onto the field next year will probably have a lot of different players than the one they fielded this year. You don't exactly bring in that many jucos expecting them all to develop over time and contribute in the future. With Jucos, there is no future, only now.

Exactly. It's going to be a team with a lot of guys having little to no big time college football experience. A few guys? Not a problem. 16 of them? That is a train wreck waiting to happen. I'm no coach and far from being anything near an expert on building a program, but when it comes to football, I'd think you have to work from the ground up. Build up young talent with red shirting and multiple years of training before they see the field while filling in a gap here and there with a JuCo player.

I'd go as far as saying that this is an incredibly selfish way to try to find instant, short term successes (i.e., actually winning a B12 game) with no regard for the long term health of the program by Weiss, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

Before anyone points to Hoiberg's strategy and makes a snarky comment, realize that football and basketball are nothing alike in terms of building a program and can't even be compared.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Yeah, I guess that is probably the fastest way to play in Big 12 games. Did they have this many good JUCO players back when KU was good?