Construction off of highway 30/ Dayton

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Anyone know what is going on just east of the Skunk River on highway 30 on the north side of the highway? Near Dayton? Looks like a lot of dirt being pushed around. Is that where one of the new car dealerships is going or is it something else? Just curious.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Deery Brothers is going in next to Central Landscape and it looks like they moved all of the dirt they'd built up between the Skunk and Dayton. :skeptical:

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Thanks. For some reason I thought that was going to be built off the 13th st exit.

Clonebydesign

Jul 21, 2009
Ames
In the not so distant future an epic battle will rage, cars vs. flood who will win? All of humanity (Ames) depends on it, and thelow, low apr.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
In the not so distant future an epic battle will rage, cars vs. flood who will win? All of humanity (Ames) depends on it, and thelow, low apr.

Judging by how far up they are building the land I think they are going to end up flooding out someone else.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Within the last year Cracker Barrel was also looking at a spot close to there. I don't think the HD, Menards rumors are all shot down yet either.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
They are pushing hard they have portable lights and were still working at 11 last night when I drove by.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Now that they've made that an urban revitalization area I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it develop very rapidly. That area of S 16th is probably the best location left in Ames for large-scale development, it is right along hwy 30 and visible from I35. Deery Brothers is developing 3 parcels to the east of the river (with their dealership going on one of them), and I think Hunziker is filling in and grading the area the west of the river. Heard rumors of Menards, Home Depot, Cracker Barrell among others, there is also a new hotel going in by the Marriott down that way too and the city is developing an entry way to the city down there with native grasses, trees, and light sculptures to line Hwy 30 between I35 and Dayton. Apparently Ames is realizing how important it is to draw people in off of 35 and 30 and have areas around there look nice. Not sure how I feel about the way they are going about thing though, with the tax abatements for developing the areas in the flood plain, although almost every large community located on a river has done it . Just look at Des Moines; developed right down to the river banks and built a reservoir to control the streamflow/flooding, they entirely changed that river and flooded a large area of land north of the reservoir. I'm not defending Ames but when you look at cities like Des Moines and Cedar Rapids it is really astonishing how they have altered those rivers.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Now that they've made that an urban revitalization area I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it develop very rapidly. That area of S 16th is probably the best location left in Ames for large-scale development, it is right along hwy 30 and visible from I35. Deery Brothers is developing 3 parcels to the east of the river (with their dealership going on one of them), and I think Hunziker is filling in and grading the area the west of the river. Heard rumors of Menards, Home Depot, Cracker Barrell among others, there is also a new hotel going in by the Marriott down that way too and the city is developing an entry way to the city down there with native grasses, trees, and light sculptures to line Hwy 30 between I35 and Dayton. Apparently Ames is realizing how important it is to draw people in off of 35 and 30 and have areas around there look nice. Not sure how I feel about the way they are going about thing though, with the tax abatements for developing the areas in the flood plain, although almost every large community located on a river has done it . Just look at Des Moines; developed right down to the river banks and built a reservoir to control the streamflow/flooding, they entirely changed that river and flooded a large area of land north of the reservoir. I'm not defending Ames but when you look at cities like Des Moines and Cedar Rapids it is really astonishing how they have altered those rivers.

I heard about a new hotel in that area quite a while ago, but never saw anything come of it. Any ideas when construction might start?

Also, the Menards rumor on the old truck stop site is still lingering. Had not heard about Cracker Barrel. I would never eat at one, but they do like the highway location.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Okay. So what are the big obelisk thingys that are being built now along 30? And are they done? Is that it? They don't really seem to fit in/make sense to me.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Plus they look stupid in person. They look like something out of one of the outdoor scenes in the original Star Wars trilogy.

And to top it off the color of the lights will make Jayhawk fans feel very welcome as they come off I-35.

Really? I must be in the minority because I think they look pretty cool and am excited to see what they look like lit up. IMO any money we spend trying to draw traffic off of I-35 is money well spent.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems odd that they feature the color blue.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Really? I must be in the minority because I think they look pretty cool and am excited to see what they look like lit up. IMO any money we spend trying to draw traffic off of I-35 is money well spent.

yep. Same here. Or, at least, I'm willing to give it a chance. I reserve the right to call it a waste if it does not meet my specific tastes.