Ford Fusion vs. Toyota Camry

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I rented a 4 cylinder Camry earlier in the year for about a week and I just got done driving a Ford Fusion while my other car was getting fixed. The Fusion was 3 or 4 years old and was a plain Jane model with few options and a 4 cylinder engine. The sizes seemed similar however I think the Fusion trunk was quite a bit bigger.

Toyota won hands down. Much quieter engine with better get up and go and geared much better. The Fusion was okay once you got up to top speed, but what a loud engine when accelerating! Seem underpowered relative to the Toyota. Wind noise also seemed to be greater in the Ford(that surprised me a bit as my Taurus is extremely quiet on the road).

Both got really good mileage.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I don't know much about the Fusion, but I love my Camry. I know it will last me over 250K if I take care of it. I don't know if you can say that about the Fusion, but like I said, I really don't know much about the Fusion

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
when we were car shopping, we drove the Fusion I4 and it seemed really underpowered. Slow to accelerate and just seemed like you were working it hard the whole time. Definitely liked the V6 better, though we went with something else. Never did get to try a Camry.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
When test driving Ford Escapes this summer the 6 cylinder was a HUGE upgrade from the 4. If all they had was 4 cylinders I wouldnt have bought one.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
The 2013 Fusions are supposed to be improved. I really don't think you could go wrong with either one. I like the look of the Fusion better. Toyota has historically been a more reliable brand but I think Ford has made great strides in that area. Their quality ratings have been down recently but mostly due to their touch-screen units.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Eco-boost 4 is new in the Fusion this year. Greatly improved power and minor improvement in gas mileage. They are still selling the old 4 cylinders so be careful because it seems like that's mostly what is on the lots so far. I'm planning on buying a 4 cylinder w/Eco-boost in the spring. I test drove one about a month ago and power quite good.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Both good and boring

I looked at Fusion, Camry and comparable Honda. I thought they all were boring. On a suggestion of a friend I tried the Hyundai Sonata. Hands down I could not give one reason to buy any of the more expensive cars for what you get with the Sonata. The only suggestion he had was to buy the Sonata and inject sound proofing and still save tons.

My friend's family owns four Hyundai models (Sonata, Elantra) and have almost 400K miles and have had three minor problems (a filter changed solved one, a recall to replace seat restrain another, and lubricant on a rear window).

I have many Toyota devotee friends and they absolutely baby their cars...makes me wonder if the baby treatment is part of the mystique of their longevity. And Toyata still has some conitinuing recalls. Hyundai not so much.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I looked at Fusion, Camry and comparable Honda. I thought they all were boring. On a suggestion of a friend I tried the Hyundai Sonata. Hands down I could not give one reason to buy any of the more expensive cars for what you get with the Sonata. The only suggestion he had was to buy the Sonata and inject sound proofing and still save tons.

My friend's family owns four Hyundai models (Sonata, Elantra) and have almost 400K miles and have had three minor problems (a filter changed solved one, a recall to replace seat restrain another, and lubricant on a rear window).

I have many Toyota devotee friends and they absolutely baby their cars...makes me wonder if the baby treatment is part of the mystique of their longevity. And Toyata still has some conitinuing recalls. Hyundai not so much.

I would put Hyundai right up there with The Japanese on most of their models.

I also don't worry so much about recalls. They've become a lot more common for ever car company. A lot of these recalls are tiny. I think the biggest recommendation would be not to buy a first year model from my car maker.

I would also read a lot of forums. Just in the last week after doing research in cars I found out some huge issues. A lot if VW TDI's have issues that can cost over $8k. I also was looking at a MB c63 AMG and learned that the tires last about 8k miles regardless of tire used. Audi S5's have engine sludge problems. BMW has had major issues with fuel pumps on certain models.

Here is info on the vw diesel issue
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286380

Last edited:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The 2013 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine has a recall (for both the Escape and Fusion) for flammable liquids that leak onto hot exhaust components and start fires. Nearly 90,000 vehicles have been recalled, of which I think 14,000 were Fusions. 13 total fires reported.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No. The Fusion and Camry are mid size. The Taurus and Avalon are in the larger class.

Not to derail but Avalon's are fantastic cars. My dad had one that he put more than 260k on it, and only gave it oil changes. Incredibly reliable.

We recently looked at the Taurus, and for some reason, it felt really tall to me. I just couldn't get over it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not to derail but Avalon's are fantastic cars. My dad had one that he put more than 260k on it, and only gave it oil changes. Incredibly reliable.

We recently looked at the Taurus, and for some reason, it felt really tall to me. I just couldn't get over it.

I would probably love it then. I can't drive most compact cars and I feel really tall in a lot of midsized cars.