Malzahn back to Auburn?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I hadn't seen this discussed, but the guest on Murph and Andy mentioned that Malzahn is headed back to Auburn. Any chance that this was planned last year because he knew that Chizik would fall apart? It must have been difficult for him to be coaching under a coach like Gene. I wouldn't be surprised if he was calculating that he would only be at ASU one year before he got an SEC job.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Not really that surprising I was kind of surprised it has not been talked about much. I still claim Malzahn won Auburn their NC, not Chizik. Chizik was screwed when Gus left.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I hadn't seen this discussed, but the guest on Murph and Andy mentioned that Malzahn is headed back to Auburn. Any chance that this was planned last year because he knew that Chizik would fall apart? It must have been difficult for him to be coaching under a coach like Gene. I wouldn't be surprised if he was calculating that he would only be at ASU one year before he got an SEC job.

Gus is no dummie. I think you're exactly right.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

It would make sense. There were always rumors that Auburn had told Chiz to go get head coaching experience somewhere else before they brought him back. Wouldn't surprise if Malzahn was on a similar plan.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
ESPN confirmed! Auburn is now one of my favorite teams. I count every win Guz has as a discredit to Gene's national championship.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Take that, A-State. He would not have been your coach in the Liberty Bowl in any case.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
New John Grisham book. A man goes through a rapid advance like never before seen in college football. After winning a National Championship as an OC by himself along with the help of a Heisman winning QB bought by "The System" the man schemes to tear down his former employer only to get the head coaching gig. This is an epic thriller that will leave your jaw on the floor through all of the twists and turns.

Gus Malzahn is The Accountant.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This was the obvious move, visible from miles away. Congrats to him. He can go ahead and do a fine job. or not. It's all good.

This nails my feelings exactly. Auburn was a punchline when Chizik was there - now they just go back to being an entitled football team that I don't really care about.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
New John Grisham book. A man goes through a rapid advance like never before seen in college football. After winning a National Championship as an OC by himself along with the help of a Heisman winning QB bought by "The System" the man schemes to tear down his former employer only to get the head coaching gig. This is an epic thriller that will leave your jaw on the floor through all of the twists and turns.

Gus Malzahn is The Accountant.

I wouldn't read it, but I'd probably rent the movie adaptation.