Forde Article: The Bowl System Joke

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Forde is one of the best sportswriters out there. Good article.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
La Tech, 9-3, not going to a bowl game - Yahoo! Sports
La Tech is moving to Conference USA next season.

Van De Velde said he was working with C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky on possibly getting the Bulldogs into the Heart of Dallas Bowl or the Liberty Bowl. When Oklahoma and Kansas State both won, it looked as if the Big 12 would have two teams in the BCS and that could create room in either of those games for La Tech.
But, Van De Velde said, when Northern Illinois slipped into the Bowl Championship Series, taking a possible BCS bid away from Oklahoma, it started a domino effect that filled those spots with Big 12 teams.

So, VandyV looks like he was trying to get the Clones snubbed into Shreveport by shutting us out in Music City and/or HOD. The HOD should never have been a choice. What a guy. He deserves some butthurt.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
The student athletes are raising millions and millions of dollars to represent their school, with supposedly no pay (e.g. Scam Newton), i have no problem with too many teams going to bowl games. The kids should get the opportunity to get something out of the "system" that has been created.

The NCAA and the Universities use these kids to make millions, why not throw a free trip in for their efforts.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It was a good read, although I'm tired of the 6-6 argument being brought out again. There is a reason that they have 6-6 teams bowl eligible. It's so they can pick a team who has a fanbase with a pulse. And having teams from a major conference might drum up a little more interest on TV than watching Bowling Green play Arkansas State in a bowl game.

Maybe there are too many bowls, that argument could be made, but you have to be realistic, most 6-6 BCS teams are better than a 2 or 3 loss team from the MAC or Con. USA.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It was a good read, although I'm tired of the 6-6 argument being brought out again. There is a reason that they have 6-6 teams bowl eligible. It's so they can pick a team who has a fanbase with a pulse. And having teams from a major conference might drum up a little more interest on TV than watching Bowling Green play Arkansas State in a bowl game.

Maybe there are too many bowls, that argument could be made, but you have to be realistic, most 6-6 BCS teams are better than a 2 or 3 loss team from the MAC or Con. USA.

Agree. There is at least one 6-6 team out there that played nine bowl teams this year.

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
Great article. It shows how upset everybody is about the bowl selection this year. It just makes a playoff that much better, not by a lot. There is just too much money to be had.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
La Tech, 9-3, not going to a bowl game - Yahoo! Sports

So, VandyV looks like he was trying to get the Clones snubbed into Shreveport by shutting us out in Music City and/or HOD. The HOD should never have been a choice. What a guy. He deserves some butthurt.

How would that even be possible? Even if the Big12 had two in the BCS, ISU would still be available for the HOD. Does the HOD bowl have some clause in their contact that allows them to pass on an eligible Big12 team? I doubt it, but how else could they pass on ISU?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I don't mimd all of the bowls. Its amazing to me the way thry set them up. The conferance tie ins drive me nuts.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

So basically all MAC coaches voted NIU higher than they deserved while B12 voted them lower than they deserve because $2M per team was at stake. Yep, great system.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

It is the BCS system that creates the problems. In their efforts to determine a national champion they keep making adjustments that seem to make sense based on previous years, but don't quite make sense when it comes time to implement them.

I don't think the bowl system is the problem. I consider it the best post-season in all sports. It is so good for college football, the teams, the players, the fans, etc.

The problem is the never-ending push by ESPN and perennial powerhouses to be the clear-cut national champion. If we move to a format that is more conclusive regarding the national champion, I'm afraid that the rest of the bowl system will fall apart. All but one of the teams in the playoffs will finish with a loss. Traditional bowl settings will fade in significance to the playoff locations which will probably be rotated. My only hope right now is that they keep some form of bowl system in place for non-BCS teams.

Frankly, I don't care who wins the national championship. I care about Iowa State and college football in general. Perhaps this fiasco will help us see that the BCS system is the problem, particularly in its narrow focus on determining a national champion. The bowl games, without the BCS system, are the best post-season in all sports.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
It is the BCS system that creates the problems. In their efforts to determine a national champion they keep making adjustments that seem to make sense based on previous years, but don't quite make sense when it comes time to implement them.

I don't think the bowl system is the problem. I consider it the best post-season in all sports. It is so good for college football, the teams, the players, the fans, etc.

The problem is the never-ending push by ESPN and perennial powerhouses to be the clear-cut national champion. If we move to a format that is more conclusive regarding the national champion, I'm afraid that the rest of the bowl system will fall apart. All but one of the teams in the playoffs will finish with a loss. Traditional bowl settings will fade in significance to the playoff locations which will probably be rotated. My only hope right now is that they keep some form of bowl system in place for non-BCS teams.

Frankly, I don't care who wins the national championship. I care about Iowa State and college football in general. Perhaps this fiasco will help us see that the BCS system is the problem, particularly in its narrow focus on determining a national champion. The bowl games, without the BCS system, are the best post-season in all sports.
I appreciate what you're saying, but aren't we basically already at this point? The Rose Bowl, etc, are still a big deal and fun to watch, but I don't see them falling off the radar much further than they already have. There is currently one game that matters and the rest are exhibitions. In the new system there will be 3 games that matter, not much different in my opinion.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The student athletes are raising millions and millions of dollars to represent their school, with supposedly no pay (e.g. Scam Newton), i have no problem with too many teams going to bowl games. The kids should get the opportunity to get something out of the "system" that has been created.

The NCAA and the Universities use these kids to make millions, why not throw a free trip in for their efforts.

This is a VERY good point. I used to be totally opposed to 6-6 teams in bowls but nobody is forcing anybody to watch so no big deal. The money is there.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I appreciate what you're saying, but aren't we basically already at this point? The Rose Bowl, etc, are still a big deal and fun to watch, but I don't see them falling off the radar much further than they already have. There is currently one game that matters and the rest are exhibitions. In the new system there will be 3 games that matter, not much different in my opinion.

The big difference is seen in forcing the Orange Bowl to take NIU. This is a great bowl tradition that is likely to be tarnished because of the expansive influence of the BCS system.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
How would that even be possible? Even if the Big12 had two in the BCS, ISU would still be available for the HOD. Does the HOD bowl have some clause in their contact that allows them to pass on an eligible Big12 team? I doubt it, but how else could they pass on ISU?

HOD had to take a B12 team if there was a B12 team available and eligible.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
This is just stupid.
You have to account for strength of schedule
You also can't compare the PAC12 and Big12 with the SEC, ACC and Big Tens schedules.

We are a 7 win team if we have the same number of conference games.

Take 8-4 Miss State for instance.
4 non conference games
Jackson State
Troy
South Alabama
Middle Tenn State

I like our chances of getting to 7 wins with that schedule.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
HOD had to take a B12 team if there was a B12 team available and eligible.

That's what I thought, but I'm trying to figure out BVDV's strategy here. There was no way that HOD was going to have room for an at large team. How could both he and C-USA commissioner miss that (I know he is not respected here, but I can't see him being that dumb)?