Illegal block

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
He led with his shoulder. Legit block, the guy clearly had an opportunity to tackle the ball carrier.

Tredici

Mar 2, 2011
West Des Moines
Completely legal. Defense pursuing a WR, not looking, offensive player comes in and lays a shoulder down. I see no reason why this wouldn't be legal, we aren't playing soccer here.

Reactions: Clonegrad07

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
pause it at the 46 sec mark. Looks like clear helmet to helmet action to me

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It was legal. If you are going to start penalizing guys for putting a block on someone who had a shot at the ball carrier, then you might as well put flags on everyone. He lead with the shoulder, it was clear in full speed and in slo-mo replay. It was one of the worst calls of the season, imo, for all the "defenseless" type calls I've seen this season. It's football, sometimes you get hit so hard it hurts, doesn't mean it's illeagal.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I wish I knew how the rule was written. In principal it's no different than the free safety targeting a receiver going across the middle. If it's written to only protect receivers then it was legal. Then you get into the quarterback argument where going near the head is an automatic flag.

All that said, it was a good flag. The helmet to helmet made it a pretty easy call, especially considering it's a point of emphasis for this year and probably will be for the foreseeable future.

Tredici

Mar 2, 2011
West Des Moines
Defenseless receivers have not made the play yet, thus protecting the ability to not impede a play. In this circumstance, the receiver had caught the ball and the defense was in pursuit. The offensive player got in front of the defender chasing and used his shoulder to knock him down. The fact that their helmets made contact isn't the issue because that happens all the time.

The thing is that he did not lead with his helmet. If the defensive player was hit like that before the ball was thrown, then it would be the exact same rule as defensive receiver.

If you watch the whole thing, Kenny Bell was very well mannered in how it was handled. He did not celebrate; he talked with the officials and didn't throw a hissy fit even though the call didn't go his way.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Defenseless receivers have not made the play yet, thus protecting the ability to not impede a play. In this circumstance, the receiver had caught the ball and the defense was in pursuit. The offensive player got in front of the defender chasing and used his shoulder to knock him down. The fact that their helmets made contact isn't the issue because that happens all the time.

The thing is that he did not lead with his helmet. If the defensive player was hit like that before the ball was thrown, then it would be the exact same rule as defensive receiver.

If you watch the whole thing, Kenny Bell was very well mannered in how it was handled. He did not celebrate; he talked with the officials and didn't throw a hissy fit even though the call didn't go his way.

Wait...what?

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006

I agree, much different circumstance between a receiver going for the ball and someone in pursuit of a ball carrier.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
helmet to helmet seems clear to me.

Not sure on the launching: to me its clear he was but can you get flagged when one foot is still on the ground?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
This one's a hard one, the way I see it, and a good example of where football is right now.

By the rulebook, legal. There was helmet to helmet, but the blocker clearly led with his shoulder. Simple physics and physiology that the shoulder is close to the head and at those speeds, things keep moving.

However, with the defender having no clue that the blocker was coming, the same goal (block to prevent a tackle) could have been accomplished with a same speed push, leading with the hands. In my mind, an instance of 'ohhhhh....ima light this effer up right here'.

But how do you deal with that? If a hard hit, just because it's a hard hit, is illegal, then we're playing a different game. On the flip side, hits like this are why the NFL is getting sued by former players for brain trauma.

You could take the easy path and say let the refs decide...give them more leeway on 'unnecessary roughness', but we're already arguing those calls today, giving them the reigns to decide what's justified and not is only going to get more controversial.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Essentially saying. The catch had already happened so "defenseless" kind of goes out the back door, especially since the defender was in pursuit. Also that he led with his shoulder. Accidental helmet to helmet happens every play (linemen).
You can't tell me you honestly think a collision of linemen is the same as an open field collision like that.

Note: I do think if you're going to frown upon helmet to helmet contact the ball carrier leading with their head should be flagged accordingly. Hitting with your facemask is one thing, hitting with the crown of the helmet is another.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Led with the shoulder and initial contact was made with the defender's shoulder. Helmets hit thereafter, that can't be a penalty.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
pause it at the 46 sec mark. Looks like clear helmet to helmet action to me

Good point. The refs should pause life and rewind next time there's a questionable hit to figure out if it was the correct call.

Also, if you watch the part your speaking of, you can clearly see that his shoulder pad made first contact with the other guy's chest.

Wisconsin player was in pursuit of the ball carrier, Bell led with his shoulder and kept his head in front of the defenders body, it was a clean hit. A dang hard call to make at full speed though and 99% of the time that would have been flagged. Seems like any sort of seriously hard hit is pretty much an automatic 15 yard penalty anymore.

Tredici

Mar 2, 2011
West Des Moines
You can't tell me you honestly think a collision of linemen is the same as an open field collision like that.

Note: I do think if you're going to frown upon helmet to helmet contact the ball carrier leading with their head should be flagged accordingly. Hitting with your facemask is one thing, hitting with the crown of the helmet is another.

I agree linemen isn't the same. However, it is more direct. This was clearly shoulder first and momentum of head/helmet second.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Led with his shoulder. Legal. The Helmet to helmet contact is incidental.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron