Will ISU even score today against Iowa?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't follow wrestling much at all, but are we even going to win a single match?

It's just sad how bad ISU has gotten in wrestling. Not that I care too much, but I'm sure there are people that do. I'm not sure JP cares all that much about wrestling to tell you the truth, and why should he really? It doesn't make money.

Reactions: Bobby45

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm not sure JP cares all that much about wrestling to tell you the truth, and why should he really? It doesn't make money.
If he didn't care about non-revenue sports why does he keep working to hold on to Coach Ihmels and Coach Johnson-Lynch exactly? He's the athletics director, not the football and men's basketball director.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't follow wrestling much at all, but are we even going to win a single match?

It's just sad how bad ISU has gotten in wrestling. Not that I care too much, but I'm sure there are people that do. I'm not sure JP cares all that much about wrestling to tell you the truth, and why should he really? It doesn't make money.

JP wants to win Big 12 titles, national individual champs, national team champs, and move up in the directors cup. Wrestling is one of the most natural sports for ISU to do those things in and he knows it.

That said, it's hard to watch a program that's been historically elite lose its footing. It'll come back around.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
We still have produced the two greatest wrestlers of all-time, and they are arguably going to become the two greatest collegiate wrestling coaches of all time. There-in lies the problem, they did not accomplish the latter at ISU due to better offers elsewhere. The only way to regain our heritage in this sport is to find a solid coaching staff and make the type of financial commitment that will help them first achieve it, then maintain it here.

Reactions: Bobby45

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We still have produced the two greatest wrestlers of all-time, and they are arguably going to become the two greatest collegiate wrestling coaches of all time. There-in lies the problem, they did not accomplish the latter at ISU due to better offers elsewhere. The only way to regain our heritage in this sport is to find a solid coaching staff and make the type of financial commitment that will help them first achieve it, then maintain it here.

So with the new Big 12 football TV deal and increased revenues coming in, does anyone ever foresee the day when we'd have enough money to lure Cael back, or is he gone forever?

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I don't want Cael back. Ever. The guy was willing to GUT his previous program - where he wrestled and went to school - so that he could start fast at his new job. The guy has no loyalty to ISU that I can see.

There are other coaches out there that would be worth getting if you are talking about throwing major money to lure back an x-coach. Get one of those.

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
Cael's gone forever...good riddance if you ask me. I'm proud of what he accomplished while here, he would have got paid by ISU like he did by Penn St. but it was easier there. I can't get on board with that.

We will win a match, maybe 2. It won't be close unfortunately. I can't wait til we are relevant again.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
I hope Meeks can get on the winning track today. Talented kid, probably our best hope right now for a national champion down the road. I don't know who he wrestles, I don't follow it that closely.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Is there a stream of the meet anywhere or an update link? Saw Judoka is out this weekend and didn't know where I could get updates through the match.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's on Mediacom 22.

ISU will have Twitter updates and a live blog.