Babb

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
Lots of criticism for Lucious and Clyburn, but Babb hasn't started out well either. He was the "x factor" to me this year. It's early, and the suspension didn't help, but 6.5ppg/31%FG/26%3FG/3 rebpg obviously isn't helping. His defense is critical, but he has to find a way to get it going on the other end. You keep waiting for his breakout game...

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Lets hope his play is backwards from last year... struggling early vs. struggling during Big 12 play.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
There is criticism of Clyburn? Why? He's struggling with his shot but he still leads our team in points and rebounds(almost a double double). He's really struggled to start and has still been good. Just wait until his shot comes back (which he has proven in his career to have), than he will be a very tough guard.

As for Babb, he simply needs to go straight up on his jump shot. He's not a guy who can fade or lean to the side and make shots. You can tell instantly if he will make a shot and it's by his setup and jump.

Last edited:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Lots of criticism for Lucious and Clyburn, but Babb hasn't started out well either. He was the "x factor" to me this year. It's early, and the suspension didn't help, but 6.5ppg/31%FG/26%3FG/3 rebpg obviously isn't helping. His defense is critical, but he has to find a way to get it going on the other end. You keep waiting for his breakout game...

Babb hasn't exactly been lighting it up on the defensive side of the ball either. He seems to be reaching more and a step slower than last year.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Babb hasn't exactly been lighting it up on the defensive side of the ball either. He seems to be reaching more and a step slower than last year.

Babb held UNLV's best shooter to 0 FG's on Saturday. He's not going to shut down everyone he faces, especially someone like Kilpatrick.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
There is criticism of Clyburn? Why? He's struggling with his shot but he still leads our team in points and reboudns (almost a triple double). He's really struggled to start and has still be good. Just wait until his shot comes back (which he has proven in his career to have), than he will be a very tough guard.

I understood and agreed with everything quoted above, but I wouldn't feel right about myself if I didn't point out that this paragraph was full of ****.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There is criticism of Clyburn? Why? He's struggling with his shot but he still leads our team in points and reboudns (almost a triple double). He's really struggled to start and has still be good. Just wait until his shot comes back (which he has proven in his career to have), than he will be a very tough guard.

What? Here is his stat line this year:

Pts....R...A....B...St..F...TO
14.8 9.2 2.8 0.3 1.0 1.8 2.8

How is that anywhere near a triple double? Oh, I think I see it...
14.8 + 9.2 + 2.8 + 0.3 + 1.0 +1.8 + 2.8 = 32.7
32.7 = 11.5 + 11.0 + 10.2

I'm just giving you crap. I know you probably meant a double double.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

As for Babb, he simply needs to go straight up on his jump shot. He's not a guy who can fade or lean to the side and make shots. You can tell instantly if he will make a shot and it's by his setup and jump.

I agree completely minus the double double, not triple double description. It ticked me off when Doug Gotlieb was the commentator for the Cinci game and kept saying pretty much that Clyburn was so successful before because he played against bad competition at Utah and to start the season at ISU. Funny the next game he went 21 and 15. I bet Dougy would have felt silly if he had to do the UNLV game as well.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I agree completely minus the double double, not triple double description. It ticked me off when Doug Gotlieb was the commentator for the Cinci game and kept saying pretty much that Clyburn was so successful before because he played against bad competition at Utah and to start the season at ISU. Funny the next game he went 21 and 15. I bet Dougy would have felt silly if he had to do the UNLV game as well.

why? clyburn played terrible against cinci and great against unlv. hoiberg ran him at point, clyburn was much more aggressive, and he was a completely different player.

as for babb, i think he's a headcase. and he looks ridculous strutting around with his mouthpiece hanging out of his mouth. if you look like a doofus, you better be able to shoot, and babb is launching bricks.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
why? clyburn played terrible against cinci and great against unlv. hoiberg ran him at point, clyburn was much more aggressive, and he was a completely different player.

as for babb, i think he's a headcase. and he looks ridculous strutting around with his mouthpiece hanging out of his mouth. if you look like a doofus, you better be able to shoot, and babb is launching bricks.

Why? Because he claimed Clyburn wasn't a good player based off his play against Cinci and not for his career overall. The point I was making is, he would be eating his words when he saw him drop the double double on UNLV? Didn't think that concept was difficult to understand.
And Babb is a headcase now because he has his mouthpiece hanging out and has missed some shots? Look in the mirror buddy.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Color me not surprised at Babb's shooting percentages. I've said many times, he is who he is.

That said, he is a very valuable part of the team.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
You wanted Doug to comment about things that hadn't happened yet? Doug was correct with what he said at the time. He never said Clyburn wasn't a good player.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
You wanted Doug to comment about things that hadn't happened yet? Doug was correct with what he said at the time. He never said Clyburn wasn't a good player.

No I wasn't. He was making blanketing statements about his skillset based on a few minutes against Cincinatti. If Zeller has a bad game against say Kentucky, was it because he only looked good against weaker teams? that was my point. I wasn't expecting him to praise Clyburn, jsut not negate his accomplishments at Utah and to start the season. That is all.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
My opinion might differ with a lot of fanatics on Babb. Last year he struggled offensively (much like he is this year), but was a defensive freak out on the court. Was given defensive assignments on the opposing best player and did a fine job!!! This year his defense is not as strong (not bad though), and his offensive game continues to spiral downward... He chucks up three's most of the time that just bounce off the back iron. I have been disappointed in Babb overall this season and feel that Tyrus McGee is a better all around shooting guard and deserves to get the starting nod.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
My opinion might differ with a lot of fanatics on Babb. Last year he struggled offensively (much like he is this year), but was a defensive freak out on the court. Was given defensive assignments on the opposing best player and did a fine job!!! This year his defense is not as strong (not bad though), and his offensive game continues to spiral downward... He chucks up three's most of the time that just bounce off the back iron. I have been disappointed in Babb overall this season and feel that Tyrus McGee is a better all around shooting guard and deserves to get the starting nod.

McGee is the spark plug off the bench. Every good team needs one and he has shown his productivity does not slip coming off the bench. Babb would play worse coming off the bench (I assume) because he has never had that role before, plus he is the best defender on the court for the Cyclones and needs to be out there on the opponents top guard.

It's not like he isnt getting almost 25 mpg coming off the bench anyway. That is more than Booker, about the same as Ejim, and a little less than Lucious and Babb. He knows his role and accepts it.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Who cares who starts? Why are fans so hung up on this? McGee gets starter minutes. It's not like he is getting 10-15 minutes a game

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
Who cares who starts? Why are fans so hung up on this? McGee gets starter minutes. It's not like he is getting 10-15 minutes a game

I still don't get this logic. Why start anyone? Why start Clyburn? Why start Ejim? I mean, all that matters is minutes played right? Why not bring Clyburn off the bench?

I think you start your best players. And I don't care if McGee is a "spark" off the bench. Why can't he be a "spark" to start the game?