Last 6:40... Wow!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
I just watched replay of the game and can't believe we didn't pull it off.

- ISU kicks field goal with about 6:40 left in the game.

- the d played so well against Austin all game and he runs 75 yards for td. No blame here, they played well against a great player but he broke one.

- WV tries to give us the game, face mask after third and long gives us fifteen yards and first down. Huge.

- after Shontrell breaks a nice 15 yard run we follow it up with a Richardson run for 15 yards.

- this is where things get weird. All of the momentum on our side we run after two 15 yard gains, right? Nope, throw to Mr. Clutch Josh Lentz.... Wide open, dropped. I'm still not sure how he dropped it. I'm not blaming anyone, goo play because he wa open, still can't believe he dropped it.

- second play, again weird stuff, Richardson throws a dead duck that skips to Shontrell who probably would have gained at least five yards if not more...

- third down, more weird stuff, good play to Gary who drops it and would have possibly got the first...

- this time WV still trying to give us the game get another penalty for first down...

- bring in woody! He never fumbles, guarantees two to three yards a carry... Weird stuff part four takes over, he fumbles... Again not blaming anyone just still in shock a day later that first Lenz, then woody dropped balls.

i really don't have any light to she'd on the loss just baffled by how many strange things happened the last six plus minutes.

great game, wish we could have pulled it off but I always do...

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
- this is where things get weird. All of the momentum on our side we run after two 15 yard gains, right? Nope, throw to Mr. Clutch Josh Lentz.... Wide open, dropped. I'm still not sure how he dropped it. I'm not blaming anyone, goo play because he wa open, still can't believe he dropped it.

Don't have to believe it because it wasn't a drop. Knocked out of his hand by the DB.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Refresh my memory, were there any missed tackles on the 75 yard run by Austin? Somebody said Shaeffer had one, but I don't remember this.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Thanks for the reassurance. I thought it was a block but somebody said it was a missed tackle. Kid played well for a walk-on against an explosive offense.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
First thing I remembered on the play was a tremendous amount of angst as Austin received the ball because he had a full head of steam on that play as he received the ball like none other, and one guy threw himself at his legs to tackle him and missed and he was off to the races.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Does that "touch pass" bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? Seems like such a cheap way to get around the rules. The reason they do that forward touch pass is because if the ball is dropped it's an incomplete pass and not a fumble. It's very smart offensively but seems so cheap to me. I've seen a few teams using that this year. Common sense says if they miss that play it should be a fumble.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Does that "touch pass" bother anyone else as much as it bothers me? Seems like such a cheap way to get around the rules. The reason they do that forward touch pass is because if the ball is dropped it's an incomplete pass and not a fumble. It's very smart offensively but seems so cheap to me. I've seen a few teams using that this year. Common sense says if they miss that play it should be a fumble.

That's true, but they're following & using the rules the their advantage.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA

I hate that damn pass! :realmad:

If a team wants the fumble-protection of a pass play (i.e., a miss being an incomplete pass rather than a fumble) they should be required to pass the ball with a normal throwing motion. The flick/shovel-pass bugs me, too.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
If the refs had guts, they could almost call it a fumble. It is subjective.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Nope. I love the play.

No different than running a shovel pass.

tee1up

Dec 29, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
First thing I remembered on the play was a tremendous amount of angst as Austin received the ball because he had a full head of steam on that play as he received the ball like none other, and one guy threw himself at his legs to tackle him and missed and he was off to the races.

That is a great point, and something I hope we can work in next year. A lot of their plays, their playmakers got the ball at full speed. Our guys always seem to get the ball standing still, and have to get going. Too slow developing.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
No, it is not.
Sure can be (key word in first post is almost). If it is not ruled pass, it would be a fumble, correct? What determines if it is a pass is the key, demonstrated control or potential for control by the QB. The ruling it a pass is the subjective part. Fundamentally, my point is not too different than the tuck rule or whether a receiver made a "football" move in determining fumbles.