Looking ahead to Next Year

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
But, what information do you use to make that evaluation? The current defensive line you can evaluate from observing them play. But, if you haven't seen the youngsters play? . . .

You make the assumption that they are not terrible. If they are terrible, we are screwed. However, I think it is much more likely that they are at least average players. In order for there to be a big drop off, there has to be an originally high ceiling. I wouldn't say our senior Dlinemen are irreplaceable or any kind of standouts, would you? I doubt any of them get even honorable mention. Maybe McDonough could get a 3rd team or honorable mention I guess.

Also, if our seniors were that good, we wouldn't rotate 12 linemen in. Our coaches don't have the elite talent other teams in the B12 have, so they try to gain an edge by building depth. It's a pretty good strategy. Depth plus discipline on the line creates an environment where new guys can step in and contribute without being incredible athletes and keeps the line consistent from year to year.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Something that bodes well for next year, in my opinion, is our ability to score through the air. We got 27 TD's through the air, this year, and that's just head an shoulders better than any season in recent history. I think our next closest season in the last ten years was 17 TD's.

Now, granted, our rushing TD's were considerably lower than what we normally get, but I like the idea that we are going to the air more in scoring situations. That, in itself, shows a change between Coach Mess and Coach Herman. And with the way Sam Richardson is slinging the ball, I look forward to seeing how things progress.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'm feeling good about next year. I'm concerned about each lines, but I think Bleil will get the O-line together and hopefully some young guys step up on the D-Line such as Irving, Morrissey, Aka, Pompey.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I'm feeling good about next year. I'm concerned about each lines, but I think Bleil will get the O-line together and hopefully some young guys step up on the D-Line such as Irving, Morrissey, Aka, Pompey.
I have 0 concern for the offensive line next season, if
nothing else we could be a lot better next year than this year. Defensive line will be talented but inexperienced.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Next year: Our offense is better and our defense is worse. I believe (and hope) that the extent of our offensive improvement will be greater than that of our defense's decline.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Next year: Our offense is better and our defense is worse. I believe (and hope) that the extent of our offensive improvement will be greater than that of our defense's decline.

Seems like it would make sense for the defense to be worse, but history tells us Wally's defense will improve despite some major loses. It will be interesting to see. Despite what some people think, our defense did pretty well yesterday with three major injuries. If we could finally get a dominant pass rusher, that will go a long way in making the defense truly top notch.

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
wouldn't say im that concerned with the secondary. Washington, broomfield, watson plus a more experienced Brackens, Stokes, and Thomas. Agree with the post above about the defensive line.

offense:
QB: Richardson (maybe Rohach if he turns out to be incredible)

HB: White

WR: Jarvis West, Albert Gary, Quenton Bundrage (excited for this one, the kid can play) and maybe some guys redshirting this year who knows

TE: brun

O-line: Brock Dagel, Ethan Tuftee, Kyle Lichtenberg, Tom Farinok and possibly Jamison Lalk but could just be dreaming

excited for this team next year now that its getting listed out, go clones!

This. I don't think we all realize how good Bundrage is going to be. Sam's TD pass to him yesterday was amazing. Considering we have both those guys for 3 more years, it could turn into something special.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
What do we know about Brackens? Thought he's suppose to be a stud but he never played when Givens got hurt. Think he will step up next year?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
There should be some great position battles next year. I think the OL is likely to be Lich-Tuftee-Farniok-Dika-Gannon and the WRs and DL should be rotated like this year, but these 3 spots should be very interesting battles.

2nd CB -- Stokes, Lynn, Richardson, Lawry, Rogers
WLB -- Knott, Miller
SS/NB -- Broomfield will grab one of these spots leaving Morgan, Mutcherson, and Brackens to battle for PT at the other. Maybe Schaeffer, but I hope somebody could beat him out.

Finding a 2nd big, outside receiver would be nice as well leaving Gary and West to the slots. Maybe Daley or Daniels?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
What do we know about Brackens? Thought he's suppose to be a stud but he never played when Givens got hurt. Think he will step up next year?

My guess is that the mental side isn't there for him yet. I think Broomfield will be a stud SS for ISU next year, and hopefully Morgan finally puts it all together at NB or Mutcherson steps up.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
Usually what happens is some of the guys that are predicted to really step up and contribute, end up not getting it done. Then you have guys that end up playing really well when not a lot was expected of them. It's hard to project how guys are going to play next year....just like recruiting it's often a crapshoot.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Does anybody see Barnett transferring? Being that he has now been passed up by someone that is younger than him and the possibility that a redshirt this year would possibly be higher on the depth chart... He has won some big games here but his inconsistency is his crutch. I think he could be a pretty good, consistent qb in the MAC/CUSA.

I've known the Barnett family for several years now and I spoke with his uncle that I played college ball with today. He was very adamant that JB is not going snywhere. JB will be in the thick of it this offseason and spring. And this team, coaches, and fan base should want that. I think CPR is a great coach however, he better make sure that the QB coach figures out why he let JB regress and get that fixed this coming offseason, spring, and summer considering he is the only returning QB that's been in those huge battles and has true ski s on the wall

Reactions: CycloneErik

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
JB will never start again unless there are injuries. He seems to do well with the headset on, and I think he should get used to that role.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I think CPR is a great coach however, he better make sure that the QB coach figures out why he let JB regress and get that fixed this coming offseason, spring, and summer considering he is the only returning QB that's been in those huge battles and has true ski s on the wall

OMG. This is some great comedy. JB regressed b/c of the coaches yet our other QB's either stayed the same or improved (SR since he jumped JB on the depth chart). Maybe JB needs to put in more work toward getting better. Naw, blame the coaches.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I've known the Barnett family for several years now and I spoke with his uncle that I played college ball with today. He was very adamant that JB is not going snywhere. JB will be in the thick of it this offseason and spring. And this team, coaches, and fan base should want that. I think CPR is a great coach however, he better make sure that the QB coach figures out why he let JB regress and get that fixed this coming offseason, spring, and summer considering he is the only returning QB that's been in those huge battles and has true ski s on the wall

Glad to hear that he is going to stick around. I'm not sure he will ever play any more meaningful snaps as a Cyclone, simply because of Richardson, Rohach, and the fact it looks like he hit a ceiling. He seems like a great teammate though, possibly a coach in the future, and a high football IQ guy that is good to have on the sideline.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
I want JB to compete for the job as I want Rohach to compete as well. All we know about SR is that he is a deceptive runner and has nice ball placement. Those hailing him as the future of cyclone football are premature. He has played two good games vs two of the worst big 12 defenses in the league, glad he got a chance and glad he played well but competition is good and will make the team better, I just hope they pick one and give him a chance through good and bad next year.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
OMG. This is some great comedy. JB regressed b/c of the coaches yet our other QB's either stayed the same or improved (SR since he jumped JB on the depth chart). Maybe JB needs to put in more work toward getting better. Naw, blame the coaches.

I'll probably get grilled for this, but I'm not sure JB regressed. Our O-line was worse meaning it was harder for him to run the zone read and get time to pass. He also had to play better defenses than last year IMO. I thought Okie State's defense was much better than the one we played last year, and he certainly didn't have to face a cupcake defense like Tech had down in Lubbock last season.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I want JB to compete for the job as I want Rohach to compete as well. All we know about SR is that he is a deceptive runner and has nice ball placement. Those hailing him as the future of cyclone football are premature. He has played two good games vs two of the worst big 12 defenses in the league, glad he got a chance and glad he played well but competition is good and will make the team better, I just hope they pick one and give him a chance through good and bad next year.
Just wait until Sunshine leads us to a bowl victory this year :v_SPIN:

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009

I train HS QB's everyday and YES, it's my responsibility as their QB trainer to make sure they leave me in a better position than they come. That's what the word "coach" means.