So, what is the game plan to stop this guy?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Freeze ray.

[video=youtube;Vlq20E3SOVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlq20E3SOVQ[/video]

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
But I'm guessing we don't really change too much. We already play a pretty conservative D designed to stop the big plays. Maybe less blitzing than normal.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I'm getting the Shaky Smithson's just thinking about that guy. That video didn't help.

cyclonefan15

Apr 18, 2006
Ankeny
Id say we also need to worry about Stedman Bailey, he has more yards, better average, and TDs.

Also a Biletnikoff finalist.

Last edited:

cylentMike

Aug 15, 2012
Nothing against Tavon, but there is some horrid tackling and coverage in there. Most of that could be stopped with better coverage and fundamental tackling. I trust in Wally to solve this issue.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I expect our guys to make big plays in the defensive backfield. Pick 6s. One each for Klein (for the record) and Reeves (been close a few times and overdue). Great way to enjoy Senior Day.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Nothing against Tavon, but there is some horrid tackling and coverage in there. Most of that could be stopped with better coverage and fundamental tackling. I trust in Wally to solve this issue.
The tackling is the concerning part. Based on our play this year, I'd rank this team at #3 (only ahead of 2009) in terms of fundamental tackling of the Rhoads era. We miss a LOT of tackles.

We also need to clean up the responsibilities of the players if we want to slow them down. Defensive ends can't crash, defensive tackles have to demand double teams, etc. Irving HAS to learn to stay home or they're going to cut back across the formation right behind him. Defensive tackles demanding double teams leaves the linebackers free to roam the field. Tavon Austin can't hurt you when he's running side to side looking for holes.