ISU basketball will always be > ISU football --> http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/rumors

allenj32

Dec 4, 2011
This article is just the tip of the iceberg to as why Iowa St basketball will always be better to attend or watch on TV.

Better tradition in basketball = Better recruiting = better coaching = better players = long-term team/player commitments = competing for a natl championship

Hilton Coliseum > Jack Trice
better venue to play in = better fans = better media following = national exposure = actual chance to win a natl championship

GO STATE

allenj32

Dec 4, 2011
We will never dominate in Football bottom line. We dominated in the early/late 90s in bball and again in 99/2000/2001. I can see us getting back to that caliber in basketball. We will never compete for a national championship in football. We will never win 10 games. No recruits = no chance of winning against the teams that do get the recruits. This is why I am a season ticket holder for basketball and not football.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Why does it have to be one against the other? I wanna dominate in both sports. I love college football and I loves me some ISU hoops, too.

Exactly. Why does one have to be better than the other? Both programs are positioned really well for the future. Just enjoy it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This is flat out dumb. We can make an impact in both sports....period.

JTS is every bit the great environment that Hilton is also.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
We will never win 10 games

I disagree with this, other teams with similar talent have done it. Plus I think we may see a bit of an upswing the talent we are able to recruit with the new facilities, CPR as coach, increasing fan support, new stadium expansion/renovations (hopefully coming soon. ISU may have a tougher time getting recruits due to location, but when you have a coach who is passoinate, proven he can win, and develop kids into NFL talent I think it can be done (obviously to a certain extent anyway). Its not like central Iowa is a hot-spot for college basketball recruits either, they're coming here because Hoiberg has proven he can win (knows how to coach) and develop kids into NBA talent (get them into the league).

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
Outside of a few football programs in the power six (if the BE can even be considered that anymore) conferences, it's pretty much the norm for basketball teams to have more "success." I can think of a few reasons why... more games, probably less of a gradient in talent level top-to-bottom, the madness in March Madness. Anyway, even as someone who pays much more attention to the MBB team, I think it's silly to think that success in one precludes success in the other, or that there's even a need to draw a contrast (what's your point, exactly, OP?). Pollard has hired great coaches for both programs, and it just takes a lot longer to turn around a football team (at least towards the positive side of things) given the inertia in recruiting: recruiting three great football players is not the same as recruiting three great basketball players. The key is if the coaches can a) keep it up b) stick around for a long time.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I think if ISU can keep CPR here.....and he can build just a little more success.......ISU can be much improved in football. Whether or not it can ever win the Big 12 I'm not sure, but I do think ISU can be more competitive than it is right now.

I think it will be very interesting to see what a little more success brings. I also think that the new facilities ISU has not will definitely help with the recruiting. We probably won't see the effect of that until the recruting for 2014, although it still could have some effect on next year's class.

I don't see why ISU cannot be successful in both sports. They have the coaches and the facilities in place to do it.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
We will never dominate in Football bottom line. We dominated in the early/late 90s in bball and again in 99/2000/2001. I can see us getting back to that caliber in basketball. We will never compete for a national championship in football. We will never win 10 games. No recruits = no chance of winning against the teams that do get the recruits. This is why I am a season ticket holder for basketball and not football.

Disagree that we can't win 10 games. We've built a base to where we can expect 6 wins each year, maybe one more if things go well. This success has been achieved with bad qb play. If our qb's would play up to the standards of other Big 12 qb's I think we could easily see 8 wins on average with the type of defense Wally has brought to our program. So if we get our program to see 8 wins on average, to say 10 wins will NEVER happen is extremely negative. I think we have alot of potential here.

Things can change. Btw 20 years ago, who the hell ever heard of Virginia Tech football? And the great part is our fans are enthusiastic before anything major has happened. Imagine how much our fan base would explode if we went to a major bowl game?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Iowa State has a fairly rich basketball history, not on par with the Kansases of the world, but both the men and the women have traditionally put some good teams on the court. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to be known as a solid academic school that embraces its basketball.

Football is on the right track, but for now, basketball is king.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Wait, we dominated in basketball? When was that national championship?

WTF is your issue? Some weird kind of Hawk troll?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
We will never win 10 games. No recruits = no chance of winning against the teams that do get the recruits.

That is just stupid to say. If this years team had average QB play it would be knocking on the door to 10 wins.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
This article is just the tip of the iceberg to as why Iowa St basketball will always be better to attend or watch on TV.

Better tradition in basketball = Better recruiting = better coaching = better players = long-term team/player commitments = competing for a natl championship

better venue to play in = better fans = better media following = national exposure = actual chance to win a natl championship

GO STATE

Your a loser...

/Thread

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Never is a hellova long time.
Signed,
KSU
Northwestern,
Oregon State,
Iowa
Boise State

(But only 1 day for Mike Hlas)

Last edited:

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006

GO STATE

You almost seem happy about this. Seems odd. Which would you rather win a championship at? Either would be my answer while being good at the other sport. I wouldn't laugh at one while the other is more competitive. I'm quite pleased with the cross country teams, WBB and VB and so on. I'm hopeful that wrestling turns it around. I find alot of joy when looking at the director's cup standings and seeing our university doing well nationally as a whole. The great thing is that we're better than Iowa in football, basketball and in the Director's Cup standings. Did you notice that as an Iowa on our board?