Bigger sell-out?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Who is the bigger sell-out, Ice-T or Ice Cube?

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Ice Cube for sure. Ice-T is still 'cool' on Law and Order SVU. Ice Cube's movies are un-watchable for anyone above the age of 6.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Who is the bigger sell-out, Ice-T or Ice Cube?

you and I already had this discussion. They're both sell outs, but it's obviously Ice Cube. He's gone on to family friendly stuff, while Ice T is still "hard" on Law & Order SVU... plus Coco, nuff said.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I agree with you guys. I mean, Ice Cube really didn't fall that far, he didn't have the gangsta background. He was in NWA, but not as hardcore as Ice-T. He started off in Boyz n the Hood and Friday, and is now taking nut shots from toddlers in Disney movies.

On the other hand, Ice-T was a drug dealer, pimp, bank robber. The SVU character really isn't too big of a stretch (although the reality show is kinda lame). He may have changed the most from who he originally was, but he hasn't lost all street cred or anything, like Cube.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Ice Cube....for that horrendous XXX sequel....

There's snakes out there this Big?!?!?!?!
images

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
you and I already had this discussion. They're both sell outs, but it's obviously Ice Cube. He's gone on to family friendly stuff, while Ice T is still "hard" on Law & Order SVU... plus Coco, nuff said.

I know, I know. I just have watched a lot of SVU lately, and keep thinking how much of a change it is from his original self to doing TV shows and voicing video games - but he's still kept his dignity.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I know, I know. I just have watched a lot of SVU lately, and keep thinking how much of a change it is from his original self to doing TV shows and voicing video games - but he's still kept his dignity.

And he doesn't have a series of commercials chronicling his epic feud with a can of Coors Light.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ice-T wrote a song called "Cop Killer", and is now a cop on TV...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
And he doesn't have a series of commercials chronicling his epic feud with a can of Coors Light.

I forgot about those, just because we try to DVR everything and fast forward. Ugh.

Dre has sort of sold out in commercials, but I don't know that it's as egregious. He also really didn't start that "hard."

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
They're artists. Neither has sold out because it's what they're expected to do.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I can't remember which album my parents confiscated more times: The Iceberg or AmeiKKKa's Most Wanted.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I can't remember which album my parents confiscated more times: The Iceberg or AmeiKKKa's Most Wanted.

I got into rap just a little after each of those came out, around my freshman year in HS, about the time The Chronic and, later, Doggystyle came out. My parents straight-up banned MTV from our house due to those videos.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
The good old days, when MTV actually played music television. I do miss Fab Five Freddy and Yo! MTV Raps!

My parents never banned MTV but once The Real World took over, I banned MTV myself.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The good old days, when MTV actually played music television. I do miss Fab Five Freddy and Yo! MTV Raps!

My parents never banned MTV but once The Real World took over, I banned MTV myself.

That show was EVERYWHERE. I watched a couple of seasons (whatever season had Pedro and Puck), but that was it. I blame that show for the birth of all of the "let's force these people to live in the same house" reality shows.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Ice-t went from talking about killing cops to playing one on T.V. this is a no brainer.