ESPN's 2010 scouting report on Richardson

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
Someone did their homework...

Richardson is an athletic pocket passer that is flying under the radar as a quality passer with a cool demeanor and upside to develop both his frame and physical tools. He has a calm swagger about him, a live arm and a fluid release. Has adequate height and a lean build. Looks to have a late-bloomers frame with room for growth. He really grows on you the more you watch him. Gets set quickly and gets rid of the ball very fast. Release is smooth, quick and compact; he doesn't waste any time and is very decisive in his reads. He will move around and buy more time with his feet when necessary. Shows good pocket presence, has a feel for the rush. Can throw the ball efficiently on the run. He has very good arm strength, delivery quickness may exaggerate it though. He will be able to make all the college-level throws. Shows good touch on the deep ball and can drop the ball in over coverage. His overall accuracy and timing are solid when his feet are set. He does a very good job of throwing from outside the pocket. He will make a lot of things happen after the initial play breaks down. Shows good vision and movement skills as a runner. Is competitive and tough. Richardson is a kid that has a release you cannot coach and if he can add bulk and strength to his frame over the coming years he could blossom into an entirely different player than he is now. We would be surprised if his recruitment does not heat up through the fall.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
"Richardson is a kid that has a release you cannot coach"

​Really was a thing of beauty last night.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Someone did their homework...

Richardson is an athletic pocket passer that is flying under the radar as a quality passer with a cool demeanor and upside to develop both his frame and physical tools. He has a calm swagger about him, a live arm and a fluid release. Has adequate height and a lean build. Looks to have a late-bloomers frame with room for growth. He really grows on you the more you watch him. Gets set quickly and gets rid of the ball very fast. Release is smooth, quick and compact; he doesn't waste any time and is very decisive in his reads. He will move around and buy more time with his feet when necessary. Shows good pocket presence, has a feel for the rush. Can throw the ball efficiently on the run. He has very good arm strength, delivery quickness may exaggerate it though. He will be able to make all the college-level throws. Shows good touch on the deep ball and can drop the ball in over coverage. His overall accuracy and timing are solid when his feet are set. He does a very good job of throwing from outside the pocket. He will make a lot of things happen after the initial play breaks down. Shows good vision and movement skills as a runner. Is competitive and tough. Richardson is a kid that has a release you cannot coach and if he can add bulk and strength to his frame over the coming years he could blossom into an entirely different player than he is now. We would be surprised if his recruitment does not heat up through the fall.

This is exactly why I look at the ESPN recruiting instead of the Rivals... the scouts for ESPN seem to actually scout a kid instead of just looking at their offer list and then give them stars.

By the way ISU has 16 3* recruits from ESPN in this class and that is not counting our 2 JUCO recruits!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I've never seen a more accurate scouting report. Do you have a name attached to that report?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I really liked what I saw out of the kid, but I'm afraid if some on this board don't temper their expectations of a freshman quarterback, they'll be setting themselves up for a massive collapse.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I really liked what I saw out of the kid, but I'm afraid if some on this board don't temper their expectations of a freshman quarterback, they'll be setting themselves up for a massive collapse.

So we can't start calling him "Sammy Football"?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Usually espn scouting reports are so general or neutral that they can't be wrong haha. This one is actually pretty good.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Great analysis by ESPN. SR's hs highlight videos from his junior and senior years showed an incredible major college prospect and I can't believe we stole him out of SEC/ACC country. Amazing how open our receivers looked last night when you have a qb with the ability to look off defenders and go to open receivers instead of constantly throwing into double coverage as Barnett and SJ often do. Yes it was Kansas, but an improving Kansas that's played some good football lately, and was off to a good prety good start last night until we kept scoring on them. It was an incredible performance for a rs freshman and as the game went on he was making it look easy. I'll try to temper my enthusiasm but it feels so good to finally see an ISU qb that may be the real deal.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
23-27 250 yds 5 TD 0 TO is still an outstanding stat line

This. Barnett and Jantz didn't have that against western Illinois for crying out loud. My expectations are tempered but I want to see him on the field against WVU.