Maryland and Rutgers to Big 10?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I don't see why they'd want Maryland.... this isn't exactly a strong college sports base

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
So the B1G might get two nobodies and the Big 12 would be the landing place for an obvious FSU/clemson move if the SEC doesnt take them first?

Irony

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
So the B1G might get two nobodies and the Big 12 would be the landing place for an obvious FSU/clemson move if the SEC doesnt take them first?

Irony
SEC won't take then since they are already in FL and SC .

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I don't understand it really. I guess it proves this conference realignment will never be over until the networks get there way with one super conference combining the top 3 or 4 from every conference into one NFL Lite. The big should focus on building their teams from withing rather than adding a couple of other mediocre talents from another conference.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I don't understand it really. I guess it proves this conference realignment will never be over until the networks get there way with one super conference combining the top 3 or 4 from every conference into one NFL Lite. The big should focus on building their teams from withing rather than adding a couple of other mediocre talents from another conference.

Money

Money

Money

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Big10 network makes money by having cable subscribers. Getting into the Maryland/ NoVa market would pay.

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
Can't see Maryland paying $50 million. That's an exit fee.

A news article suggested this is in reaction to ND moving to the ACC

The newbies haven't received full shares because the leagues kick in to cover the exit fees. See WVU.

How long does it take for MD to cover $50MM? This seems outrageous.

I'll wait for Bowlsby to comment. It might be a long wait.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
What really needs to happen is a grass roots campaign to get the big ten network off basic cable. There are way more people that don't watch it than do and if they would collectively make a big enough stink it could die.

notengonacho1

Jun 5, 2006
Dallas, TX
I don't see why they'd want Maryland.... this isn't exactly a strong college sports base

It still gets the New York and Maryland/DC market. Lots of TVs there. Plus if youve got powerhouses like Ohio State and Michigan visiting those places every year then college sports will gain momentum in those markets.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
It still gets the New York and Maryland/DC market. Lots of TVs there. Plus if youve got powerhouses like Ohio State and Michigan visiting those places every year then college sports will gain momentum in those markets.

I understand which markets you are attracting. I'm saying they are not college football markets. NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA all have a presence in those markets that is much stronger

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I understand which markets you are attracting. I'm saying they are not college football markets. NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA all have a presence in those markets that is much stronger
I agree this is a stupid move by the big10, and to new seems a little desperate. I don't see any momentum gained, NYC and DC markets careless about CFB.....

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

For the big 10 that doesnt matter. B10net gets paid more per subscriber in the markets it is in.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
For the big 10 that doesnt matter. B10net gets paid more per subscriber in the markets it is in.

The only positive in this is if Iowa-Iowa State is a Big 10 network game in future years..... stupid big 10 network...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

It only gets paid if the cable or satellite company adds the BTN. Look at Mediacom here in Iowa. That was a messy fight and we're in the middle of Big10 football country. I doubt you'll get much support to increase fees because Rutgers was added to the conference.