NFL: Kansas City Chief's Fans - Dream Scenario?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I posed this question on Twitter, how about this one Chief's fans

Chip Kelly as Head Coach with Geno Smit running his speed offense with Jamaal Charles and Dexter McCluster as weapons? I think it could be pretty fun to watch!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
what makes you think that Geno Smith would ever get the starting nod over Stanzi? I hear that his Chiefs teammates have taken to calling him "Joe Montanamath" and "Elway McBradymanning" in awed tones, whenever he brings the 3rd team out onto the practice field.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
That would be interesting. I know one thing for sure, it cannot be any worse than it is right now.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Remember that time the option offense worked in the NFL?

Me either..

When has any team fully committed to it and built a team around it? Yeah, I don't remember that either. The Broncos BARELY even tried with Tebow and their running backs had much more success than they did with Orton.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
They would have to get a new GM, no decent to good coach will come work with Pioli.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would think a Chiefs fan's dream scenario would be winning a play off game.

I know as a Cowboys fan that is pretty close to mine. :wink:

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
1) More even playing field. Offense vs defense speed is much more even in the NFL.
2) Position depth. Running that type of offense is bound to get players injured.
3) Length of season. By mid-season teams would have figured out how to defend this gadget offense.

LegendofRodA

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2011
Des Moines
Remember that time the option offense worked in the NFL?

Me either..

Can it possibly be worse than what they are doing now? And what is most frustrating as a Chiefs fan is that they actually have a lot of young talant. IMO the trio of Pioli, Crennel and Cassel have to go at the end of the year.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
When has any team fully committed to it and built a team around it? Yeah, I don't remember that either. The Broncos BARELY even tried with Tebow and their running backs had much more success than they did with Orton.

The problem is there is too much speed on defense. In college, Oregon's offense works because they spread the D and expose weaknesses (slower players, big guys in space, etc.). In the NFL it is hard to do that because the guys on D are just as fast or faster than the skill players they are defending.

Just for reference, you said use McCluster and Charles like Oregon does. McCluster ran a 4.58 40 yard dash, Charles ran a 4.38. Look at guys like Patrick Willis (4.51) Brian Cushing (4.57) Von Miller (4.49) and even a huge guy like JJ Watt (4.81) and compare those to any team Oregon plays (say Cal for now) whose 2 outside linebackers run a 4.77 and a 4.98.

I know thats just going off 40 which obviously doesn't perfectly translate to everything on the football field. But when you have athletes, that are basically the cream of the NCAA crop every year, starting at every position on the field in the NFL, a system like that just doesn't seem to translate.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Can it possibly be worse than what they are doing now? And what is most frustrating as a Chiefs fan is that they actually have a lot of young talant. IMO the trio of Pioli, Crennel and Cassel have to go at the end of the year.

A very good point. Actually it might work a little better than what they are doing now.. I just think NFL defenses catch up pretty quick and it wouldn't be long before that system went the way of the Wildcat.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
**** (all in uppercase) NO....

Geno Smith seems to have an attitude problem. Cam Newton 2.0 perhaps. Have you seen some of his post game interviews?? Did you see his body language and attitude during the K-state game. Plus he is a throwing QB. He doesn't run that much. Chips offense does rely alot on running Qb's and fast running backs.

I want nothing of him on the Chiefs. I would say Barkley but when was the last time a USC QB not name Carson Palmer worked out.

Chip Kelley as coach..... Maybe. But I don't see the offense working. Too much speed at pro level. It's not like you are playing Washington or Washington State even Colorado every week in the NFL. Plus, after seeing it once in a season defenses will adjust and be able to stop it.

Last edited:

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
The problem is there is too much speed on defense. In college, Oregon's offense works because they spread the D and expose weaknesses (slower players, big guys in space, etc.). In the NFL it is hard to do that because the guys on D are just as fast or faster than the skill players they are defending.

Just for reference, you said use McCluster and Charles like Oregon does. McCluster ran a 4.58 40 yard dash, Charles ran a 4.38. Look at guys like Patrick Willis (4.51) Brian Cushing (4.57) Von Miller (4.49) and even a huge guy like JJ Watt (4.81) and compare those to any team Oregon plays (say Cal for now) whose 2 outside linebackers run a 4.77 and a 4.98.

I know thats just going off 40 which obviously doesn't perfectly translate to everything on the football field. But when you have athletes, that are basically the cream of the NCAA crop every year, starting at every position on the field in the NFL, a system like that just doesn't seem to translate.

Agree completely.

I think that offense would be a failure in the NFL, especially after the first season, or even half season.

Oregon succeeds in college because the talent is spread so thin on defenses. What percentage of NFL talent do they face on defense over their schedule? How many teams do they play with more than 2 future NFL players on defense.

They were shut down by Auburn.

It's a whole different proposition trying to run that against a defense of 11 NFL guys vs. a defense with 2 NFL guys, another All-Conference guy, 6 decent college players and a walk-on.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Oregon still isn't getting really getting big name recruits in the big scheme of things. You can't tell me that guys they are throwing out there on offense are that much faster than the guys on the USC defense.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
1. Pioli should have been fired 2 months ago.
2. Crennel is not the answer at coach
3. There is not an NFL Qb on the rooster
4. Fire Pioli again just because he deserves it
5. The Chiefs will do nothing more than fire Crennel and they will continue to suck.

Wake me up when they clean the whole joint out.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
btw if Pioli stays the next coach of your Kansas City Chiefs is Kirk Ferentz

As a hawk hater and a Chiefs fan, this is like getting kicked in the balls twice. That said, if the speculation about KF having a $20M buyout are even close to true, I don't see this happening. The general feeling in KC is that Pioli has been a little too tight with the purse strings, so I don't see him coughing up that much cash to get a guy who has never set foot on the field as an NFL head coach.