MLB: Insane Trade Between Marlins and Blue Jays

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Rumors flying on twitter right now the names are this...

Blue Jays get:

Josh Johnson
Jose Reyes
Mark Buehrle
John Buck
Emilio Bonifacio

Marlins get:

Yunel Escobar
Henderson Alvarez
Adeiny Hechavarria
Jake Marisnick
Justin Nicolino

...talk about an epic trade. may be more names involved but that's what is reported for now. WOW!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Blue Jays get:

Josh Johnson
Jose Reyes
Mark Buehrle
John Buck
Emilio Bonifacio

Marlins get:

Yunel Escobar
Henderson Alvarez
Adeiny Hechavarria
Jake Marisnick
Justin Nicolino

...talk about an epic trade. may be more names involved but that's what is reported for now. WOW!

Mother of God. Blue Jays going for it!

D

DistrictCyclone

Blue Jays get:

Josh Johnson
Jose Reyes
Mark Buehrle
John Buck
Emilio Bonifacio

Marlins get:

Yunel Escobar
Henderson Alvarez
Adeiny Hechavarria
Jake Marisnick
Justin Nicolino

Addition by subtraction here for the Jays.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Blue Jays giving up a couple young players that are potential All-Stars for a few overrated players. Marlins definitely win this trade.

D

DistrictCyclone

Blue Jays giving up a couple young players that are potential All-Stars for a few overrated players. Marlins definitely win this trade.

Did you see that the Cubbies signed "Moonshot" Scott Baker today?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Now that I see th guys going back to Miami it's hard to totally hate this deal... But they should have insisted on d'Arnaud too...

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Blue Jays add over $40 million in payroll in a division with upstart O's, Yankees, Rays and I guess the Red Sox. Yeah, nice move. I wonder if these reports are accurate anyway. I'm pretty sure Buerhle has a no trade clause and I'd be shocked if Reyes didn't.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
definitely a gamble but you cant say the blue jays lost this one at this point in time. lots of young talent coming to miami though that could end up being very very good! in terms of winning now though, jays really did well. their rotation looks really nice and reyes/bonifacio will fit in nicely with their big bats like bautista, lawrie, etc.

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Sick trade. The Jays and Orioles both being legit for the first time in almost 20 years will make the AL east a lot of fun.

Sox and Yanks might finish 4-5 in the AL East.

Loria will get crap for a salary dump but Buerle and Reyes were badly overpaid to create hype for the new stadium.

I like this salary dump trade a lot more than the Sox one with Beckett, Adrian, and Carl Crawford.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Sick trade. The Jays and Orioles both being legit for the first time in almost 20 years will make the AL east a lot of fun.

Loria will get crap for a salary dump but Buerle and Reyes were badly overpaid to create hype for the new stadium.

I like this salary dump trade a lot more than the Sox one with Beckett, Adrian, and Carl Crawford.

Okay but if you are worth your weight as a GM and owner don't you parse out these pieces to various teams? Cardinals may have taken a look at Buerhle or Reyes by swapping Furcal and prospects. Johnson alone should command many prospects. Loria is a complete a hole. He pushed financing of lime/orange stadium onto the taxpayers and it's a joke. If I lived in Miami I'd be ******. Really, one year? I can't say enough about what a fraud Loria is. It's shameful.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Would have happened this year had the Jays' season not been destroyed by injury.

Also, I can't help but imagine that playing in Toronto is what Reyes had in mind one year after ditching New York to play in Miami.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Being a Jays fan, I love the trade. They are giving up some young talent but keep d'Arnaud and some of the other top prospects that I figured they would be sending when I heard about it. Obviously AA is taking a win now approach after building the talent level for his first few years. Will be interesting to see what else he does this year, but you can't be made about this trade. Barring the injury bug that killed them last year, they should be as good as anyone in the division now.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
great trade for the Marlins. Reyes and Buehrle did **** last year and the Marlins needed to dump them.

As for the Blue Jays being at the top...yeah right. It'll be Baltimore and New York again. The Red Sox will fight the Blue Jays in the cellar.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
how this deal was made and Anthony Gross nor D'Arnaud weren't included is crazy. Complete salary dump by the Marlins, and that city and team should be rioting after they paid for that stadium, but that would have to mean somebody cares about the Miami Marlins.
Miami got a few nice pieces, but Josh Johnson when healthy (i know, i know) is one of the best in the league, Reyes is declining but still an All-Star, Buhrle will give you 200+ innings with a positive WAR and win another gold glove and John Buck is going to get flipped for a second basemen or starting pitcher. The AL EAST is goign to be a clown show next year.

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Blue Jays add over $40 million in payroll in a division with upstart O's, Yankees, Rays and I guess the Red Sox. Yeah, nice move. I wonder if these reports are accurate anyway. I'm pretty sure Buerhle has a no trade clause and I'd be shocked if Reyes didn't.

Per SI.com: The swap was easier for the Marlins to swing because of their longstanding
policy of refusing to include no-trade clauses in contracts.

Read More:
Source: Marlins trade Josh Johnson to Blue Jays - MLB - SI.com

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Baseball does not and will not work in Florida (pro football barely does).

Help Support Us

Become a patron