Texas Talent vs. Iowa State

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
What I think we saw today was a prime example of our lower levels of talent compared to Texas. We obviously were not perfect in every aspect of the game, but I find trouble faulting our coaches and players completely for today's loss. Rhoads is upgrading the talent level one recruiting class at a time. Today was simply the difference between four and five star talent and two or three star talent. We can't fault the coaching for having less talent. We can maybe fault the recruiting, but I think history will show it's extremely hard to recruit top talent to Iowa State.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
I agree there has been a big talent disparity the last two weeks which is really nothing new, good news is we have enough talent to compete with almost everyone not named OU and Texas. I would take that most years. Hopefully once in a while we can get a senior layden class that can jump up and give us a special season, this has been KF's model and has always worked pretty well for him

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I agree there has been a big talent disparity the last two weeks which is really nothing new, good news is we have enough talent to compete with almost everyone not named OU and Texas. I would take that most years. Hopefully once in a while we can get a senior layden class that can jump up and give us a special season, this has been KF's model and has always worked pretty well for him

It didn't work so well for KF this year, but the rest of his career he was successful with it. Iowa would be nuts to fire KF. It's also the Bill Snyder model to some extent and obviously it's worked for him too.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We will never have the talent OU and UT can get. But I think we can be fairly comparable to the rest of the league.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Excuses and ***holes. Sheer will, can achieve tremendous things. Excuses erode the foundation of being built to date by Paul Rhoads?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Excuses and ***holes. Sheer will, can achieve tremendous things. Excuses erode the foundation of being built to date by Paul Rhoads?

I don't think it's an excuse I think it's just fact. Obviously I hope that we can fight through having less talent because if we can't, we'd only win maybe one conference game every season. Rhoads knows how to win, it's a combination of good fundamentals, smart play, and hard work. It's just that sometimes a team can do all those things and still lose, that doesn't make it an excuse. Your argument is that whenever a team losses it happened because they didn't work harder than the other team.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Oh, you are right. Excuse "Texas has better players". We should demand better. We should get really upset because they are better than we are. We can't improve until we get upset and have higher expectations. Except none of us are coaching or playing. Some of us give some money. I guess we should all give more money. That's all we can actually do except get upset and call each other *** holes.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Watching the pots game interviews on lhn, I couldn't help but notice James White talking with a couple of Texas players on the field. You see his all the time with the pro's, it is unacceptable in either level. If you can switch "it" off that quickly after a game you were not invested enough in it to begin with. "All In" doesn't lend well to slapping *** after the game.
More stars, yes and a fact of life. More heart? That is a team beating us at our own game.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Watching the pots game interviews on lhn, I couldn't help but notice James White talking with a couple of Texas players on the field. You see his all the time with the pro's, it is unacceptable in either level. If you can switch "it" off that quickly after a game you were not invested enough in it to begin with. "All In" doesn't lend well to slapping *** after the game.
More stars, yes and a fact of life. More heart? That is a team beating us at our own game.

I don't know if I'd say that. Rhoads mentioned this week how he and Mack Brown would talk about DKR and his battle with Alzheimers when they talked. And I think Rhoads has mentioned about his friendship with Tuberville too. I see no problem with players being friendly with each other.

Last edited:

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Texas has tons of talent...most teams in the country don't have that much talent. They don't have heart...and their coaching is suspect.

CPR will get us up as high as he can on the talent level aspect. But at the end of the day we will never be able to go and out talent OU or UT.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I think you're entirely wrong. I've been able to be competitive in sports, and then turn it off when the competition was over.

I see nothing wrong with that

TallKidIsTall

Mar 4, 2012
Fairfield

not sure if serious

some fans take these games harder than the players do which is just sad on the fans' part for living vicariously through the players

they are just 18-22 yr old college kids, let them have some fun playing the game they enjoy

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Unacceptable to talk to the other team's players? It's called sportsmanship, numb nuts.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Sportsmanship is shaking the competitors hand and congratulating them on their victory despite your own disappointment.
Hanging out shooting the breeze at the 50 is continuing a lackadaisical attitude. We need more of an edge, perhaps more self reflection on 48 rushing yards on a poor rushing defense should have been on James Whites mind instead of catching up with old friends.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
What I think we saw today was a prime example of our lower levels of talent compared to Texas. We obviously were not perfect in every aspect of the game, but I find trouble faulting our coaches and players completely for today's loss. Rhoads is upgrading the talent level one recruiting class at a time. Today was simply the difference between four and five star talent and two or three star talent. We can't fault the coaching for having less talent. We can maybe fault the recruiting, but I think history will show it's extremely hard to recruit top talent to Iowa State.
View attachment 16273

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Sportsmanship is shaking the competitors hand and congratulating them on their victory despite your own disappointment.
Hanging out shooting the breeze at the 50 is continuing a lackadaisical attitude. We need more of an edge, perhaps more self reflection on 48 rushing yards on a poor rushing defense should have been on James Whites mind instead of catching up with old friends.

I'm sure James White and the rest of the team had some self-reflection later that will continue into the start of practice this week.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009

At the end of the day, it's still just a game.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Funny because last year besides the turnovers, I thought ISU was pretty even with Texas on talent. So much easier to reload if you're Texas. No excuses, have to execute better.