The 2013 football recruiting class in CPR's opinion

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Also last night during the his weekly call-in show, CPR was asked if he would evaluate the 2013 recruiting class as it stands today. More specifically, CPR was asked if this class measures up favorably with the preceding couple of classes, if the current commitments will carry the program forward.

Paraphrasing, of course, CPR said something like, 'people who know me know that I'd probably say it wasn't a good class if I thought it wasn't.' But, CPR went on to say, the class is in keeping with the previous classes.

CPR said, again, that the goal is to build a championship program. He and the staff would not have offered any of the current commitments, he said, if the coaches felt they would not help Iowa State build a championship program.

Coach speak? Each one of us will decide for himself. We all know that most of today's commitments haven't been much chased by other BCS schools. Me, watching the progress of the program from 2-10 (0-8) the season before CPR arrived to where we are today, I kinda believe him when he says he likes the class ;-)

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Time will tell. Just seeing the WR core we have. I hope there is some redshirt talent or backups that will really step it up next season. Jarvis and Bundrage can't do it alone.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Well it is coach speak in a way. There isn't a coach in the country that hates his recruiting class come signing day. If a coach offers a kid, it's because he sees that player making a contributon to his team. What is he supposed to say? "Well I really wanted some other kids and didn't get them so I offered a bunch of kids that I doubt will be successful"

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
That foundation needs to start moving people at the line of scrimage. If we can't run the ball better the next couple years it is going to be a lot tougher.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Total coachspeak, but he HAS to say that. ISU has to recruit different from most programs, and IMO CPR and Co have done a great job the last 3 years. Sure we don't have bluechip talent at every postion but you could make the argument that this team is one impact offensive player (QB!!!!!!!!!!) away from a special season. From a defensive perspective I don't think you can knock CPR's recruiting, offensively is where we've seen the lack of progress.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I don't believe it is coach speak, I honestly think he sees a lot of potential in the class. Like someone else said he wouldn't have offered someone if he didn't think they could help build the program.

But really even CPR's opinion doesn't matter that much right now, there is only so much he knows right now since they aren't even on campus. It's like asking NFL teams if they like their rookies the day after the draft. 100% will say they like who they got but the success rate in 2-3 years isn't going to be that high.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
On a side note, if we land Curtis and Campos. I will feel GREAT about the future of the OLine.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
It's possible they may have more talent, but maybe they haven't picked up the playbook yet.

If they got the talent just tell um what route to run and where the ball is going on the play. Is it a pain? Yea. Does it get hands on the field? Yes.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
That foundation needs to start moving people at the line of scrimage. If we can't run the ball better the next couple years it is going to be a lot tougher.

The offensive lineman we have redshirting and "in the wings" is some of the best raw talent we have had in years.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Then why for the love of god with how bad the WR's are playing, have they not seen playing time? Are they hurt?

I think physically they have talent to contribute eventually. I think the mental aspect of learning the offense and refining their route running is what is taking them some time.

JQ was an athletic QB in high school so it might take a year or two to really learn his new position. Ecby may either need to work on his WR skills or physically mature.

That's one big difference between some 4 star talent and developmental talent that we get at ISU. They may end up being as productive, but it sometimes takes longer them to mature mentally or physically.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Then why for the love of god with how bad the WR's are playing, have they not seen playing time? Are they hurt?

It was rumored that JQ has a battled with a hamstring injury. Also, it is logical to think they screw up the mental part of it even more than the older guys.

If our skill positions (sans RB) catch up to how we have done developing the lines, we will take the next step..

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Time will tell. Just seeing the WR core we have. I hope there is some redshirt talent or backups that will really step it up next season. Jarvis and Bundrage can't do it alone.

Brun and Gary are back next year. Daniels and Ecby will be rsSophs. Daley, Harris and West will be coming off redshirt years. That is 9 guys, and the talent is there. Just a matter of getting experience.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
It was rumored that JQ has a battled with a hamstring injury. Also, it is logical to think they screw up the mental part of it even more than the older guys.

If our skill positions (sans RB) catch up to how we have done developing the lines, we will take the next step..

Not a rumor, he has a HS injury.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well it is coach speak in a way. There isn't a coach in the country that hates his recruiting class come signing day. If a coach offers a kid, it's because he sees that player making a contributon to his team. What is he supposed to say? "Well I really wanted some other kids and didn't get them so I offered a bunch of kids that I doubt will be successful"

Agreed. Also the ones you get you may feel have a slimmer chance of being the difference makers you need than the ones you wanted but couldn't land. What is a coach supposed to do if they can't get the players they want; punt and leave half of their class unfilled? You still have to field a team.

I'm not saying he isn't happy with his class, but to echo Clark, what else is he supposed to say?