Shocking attendance KSU vs ISU

Cystheman

May 3, 2007
This isn't meant to bash KSU's fanbase but it just got me thinking what our attendance would be looking like if we were ranked the #2 in the nation.

This past weekend KSU only had ~50,500 at their game on ABC. This was a real surprise to me. I dont know if they allow any seating on their 2 hillsides or not. But take a look at their top 10 attendances.

• 53,811 Nebraska, November 11, 2000 (W, 29-28)
  • 53,310 Oklahoma, October 16, 2004 (L, 21-31)
  • 53,011 Oklahoma, October 14, 2000 (L, 31-41)
  • 52,254 Kansas, October 9, 1999 (W, 50-9)
  • 52,234 Nebraska, October 23, 2004 (W, 45-21)
  • 52,221 Nebraska, November 16, 2002 (W, 49-13)
  • 52,077 Colorado, November 6, 1999 (W, 20-14)
  • 51,614 Kansas, October 25, 2003 (W, 42-6)
  • 51,536 Colorado, October 18, 2003 (W, 49-20)
  • 51,234 Missouri, November 20, 1999 (W, 66-0)

They haven't cracked the top 10 in attendance since 2004. I know that Pollard capped our attendance at 56,800 for the KSU game this year, but what would our attendance and ticket demand be if we were undefeated and ranked #2 in the nation?

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
Our attendance would be 56,800 but you woudn't be able to scalp a ticket for under $200.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I think we would no doubt have over 60,000 in our stadium if we had K-State's record and ranking. Obviously we can't fit 60k in Jack Trice.

Okie State also has interesting attendance. They have a stadium that can hold 60k, but they have never sold out in the current configuration. Not even last season when they played Oklahoma at home and won the Big 12 title.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think we would no doubt have over 60,000 in our stadium if we had K-State's record and ranking. Obviously we can't fit 60k in Jack Trice.

Okie State also has interesting attendance. They have a stadium that can hold 60k, but they have never sold out in the current configuration. Not even last season when they played Oklahoma at home and won the Big 12 title.

I've heard they have insanely high ticket prices.

Plus, their fanbase is probably smaller than ours. Oklahoma is a little bigger than Iowa in total population, and they have another BCS program which is one of the Top 10 in the history of the game to contend with. Imagine the size of our fanbase if Iowa was actually the program they think they are.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
IMO, we do an awesome job of following our team, epecially given our history. If you compare us to programs like Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, KSU, OSU, Purdue, etc we are pretty similar or better in terms of following yet have a similar or more likely, worse history.

We have an awesome, loyal fanbase to build on. CPR is taking us to the next step and it's pretty dang exciting.

Cystheman

May 3, 2007
IMO, we do an awesome job of following our team, epecially given our history. If you compare us to programs like Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, KSU, OSU, Purdue, etc we are pretty similar or better in terms of following yet have a similar or more likely, worse history.

We have an awesome, loyal fanbase to build on. CPR is taking us to the next step and it's pretty dang exciting.

Exactly what I was thinking. We have an extremely loyal fanbase and if we were ranked this high during the season there would be such a high demand for tickets considering the enthusiasm CPR has brought to the program. I just hope that we can catch a break and have a year like OSU last year and KSU this year. If that would ever happen, heck, I know a number of Iowa fans that would come to a game or two to check out the team in person. Hope we can catch a big break in the upcoming years.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Would love to see the numbers. I have no doubt we have the best attendance vs. W-L record in the nation. How can you dispute that we have the best fans in the nation?

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008

It is going to be interesting to see the WVU attendance. Not tickets sold, I understand that will be over 50,000. But how many actual butts in the seat will there be?

Seems like our fanbase has come a long ways from the poor Thanksgiving weekend attendance against MU in 2005(?) when the North title was on the line.

CPR and Jamie are really building something special. Just think, we have not really been rewarded with a great home victory this year and have had three opportunities (Tech, KSU, OU) get away. But the fans seem to be still coming back, game after game, to support the boys.

I guess WVU will be a real tell, especially if it is cold. Probably depends also on what our record is at that time.

Also interesting that if we beat UT, we hurt KSU's chances at NC game. UT now winning and making top 20 BCS is helping KSU.

tmcats

Sep 30, 2010
mhk
k-state has been sold out for every game save one. the sro hill side at 'the bill' is pretty bad for viewing the game. some areas of the field can't be seen. seating capacity at 'the bill' is 50k.

i know this is of interest to some klein watchers: Kansas State coach Snyder hopes injured Klein can play against TCU - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and BCS Rankings

and here's what the stadium will look like when you visit next year.

West Stadium Center at Bill Snyder Family Stadium

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
k-state has been sold out for every game save one. the sro hill side at 'the bill' is pretty bad for viewing the game. some areas of the field can't be seen. seating capacity at 'the bill' is 50k.

i know this is of interest to some klein watchers: Kansas State coach Snyder hopes injured Klein can play against TCU - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and BCS Rankings

That's cool except I hate no color more than purple.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

We've decided to take a 4 year hiatus from going to Manhattan so we'll be expecting to see you in Ames again next year.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Looks good, what will capacity be next year / when everything is finished?

As of now ISU has the 6th largest stadium by capacity in the conference (ahead of KSU, KU, BU, TCU) and I don't want to fall backwards

tmcats

Sep 30, 2010
mhk

We've decided to take a 4 year hiatus from going to Manhattan

come on, it's farmegedon. we can't let that lapse. think of the brand. :rolleyes:

capacity doesn't change, just the never-ending ticket and license price escalation:sad:

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

We've decided to take a 4 year hiatus from going to Manhattan

come on, it's farmegedon. we can't let that lapse. think of the brand. :rolleyes:

The point of that was to say, since you got to go four years in a row without having to play in Ames before 2012, we want to do the same with Manhattan.

Let's play in Des Moines for two years before having you come back to Ames again in 2015. Then we'll go to Manhattan in '16.

tmcats

Sep 30, 2010
mhk
well, i hate playing anywhere other than on-campus, be that in ames or manhattan. so, no thanks. the arrowhead thingy was stupid although this year we'd have sold it out. many in manhattan resent supporting k-state all year and then having games shipped to neutral sites. another left over from the ron prince school of (idiotic) management. emaw.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Going to be really nice when it's done - even if it is kind of a ripoff of a certain stadium in Lincoln.

XZGNPAEZITNUTCA.20020731204620.jpg

tmcats

Sep 30, 2010
mhk
they're adding on again up there. unbelievable the number of sker fans will to sit in the clouds to watch them play. could put 'the bill' in a corner of memorial. but ours is a much better fan experience due to proximity to the field. great gameday experience in lincoln though. sorry they are gone, misery too. emaw.