Big 12 Expansion

L

LincolnWay187

Seeing how competitive the Big 12 is now, would you like to see us add a few schools to round out the league? I have heard a lot of people say they are happy with how things are, especially money wise. HOWEVER, look at that Iowa Hawkeyes schedule and tell me you wouldn't kill for a few more cupcake games.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Problem is there are few teams that would make things easier that are both available and yet good enough brands that it wouldnt be a big pay cut.

The real killer is the 9 game schedule, but that doesnt seem to be going away even if we expand.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It wont happen because for financial reasons, and sadly money is the only thing that drives this. But from a football and competitive standpoint 12 teams would be the best thing for us.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I

LOVE

the round-robin schedule. It offers the fairest possible conference title format in both football and basketball. The resulting television product is attractive to broadcast, but TV companies don't have to feed 12, 14, or maybe 16 mouths. I think in time we'll see a tighter sense of community amongst the schools, both in competition against each other (loving to hate each other) and in competition against other conferences.

I know people want to see a title game and divisions, but I don't know that they're worth it. The revenue increase would have to be particularly substantial to make expansion worth it in my mind, like Notre Dame and Florida State.

Or (for the sake of argument) it would have to involve significant rivalry implications within the conference like Nebraska - Iowa or Penn State - Pittsburgh. For obvious reasons, this will never happen.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Louisville and Cincinnati create a pathway to West Virginia. That way we can go back to north/south... if we could be so lucky.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'd be all for adding Louisville and Pitt. Or FSU and Clemson. Even Louisville and BYU. Even if the money is a little lower, I'd like to get to 12. Stability and being clearly better than the ACC would be a big plus.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
If we're not going to expand we have to change our name. Big 12 with 10 teams is ****ing stupid.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I'd be all for adding Louisville and Pitt. Or FSU and Clemson. Even Louisville and BYU. Even if the money is a little lower, I'd like to get to 12. Stability and being clearly better than the ACC would be a big plus.

Why is stability better with 12? We had 12 and were not stable. The number doesn't make it stable, economic viability and a sense of belonging do. I think we have that with 10.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
We are stable now.

Dont want to add scrubs.

Like playing everyone.

We will have same number of conf games no matter how many teams due to tv money...so no change there.

stay like we are.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
We are stable now.

Dont want to add scrubs.

Like playing everyone.

We will have same number of conf games no matter how many teams due to tv money...so no change there.

stay like we are.

Completely agree with the way the new contracts have been written we are a pretty stable league.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
90% of the time the BCS computer average is higher than human voting polls for Big 12 teams.

Human beings are not intelligent and objective enough to give the Big 12 credit for playing the toughest schedules in the nation. Every Big 12 team is being penalized for it. There is a highly ranked SEC team with a 98 SOS rank yet the idiot human voter perception is that SEC schedules are all brutal.

If money is king, fine. But it's a fact that this current mix of teams and playing 9 games hurts the Big 12 competitively in football. For hoops there's no drawback at all though.

The hilarious thing is you still hear Big 12 fans complain about the computer 1/3 of the BCS like all other college football fans. Big 12 fans should want a 100% computer BCS ranking. It's the only way we won't be bent over and raped by the rankings every single year.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Seeing how competitive the Big 12 is now, would you like to see us add a few schools to round out the league? I have heard a lot of people say they are happy with how things are, especially money wise. HOWEVER, look at that Iowa Hawkeyes schedule and tell me you wouldn't kill for a few more cupcake games.

If we add teams, it isn't going to be cupcakes. The Big 12 would only add teams that add value to the conference and that means it would be a known football school. 9 game conference schedule is here to stay, so it would probably just make our schedule tougher. IMO, the only reason we would expand at all, is if the TV contracts dictated we needed more games. Since we just signed new ones, I'm pretty sure things are set, unless some power house schools comes begging to join.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think there's a chance Baylor, TCU, KU and unfortunately ISU and KSU all become average to bad looking at things historically. Baylor's 0-4 in conference but they'd have a winning record in any other league besides the SEC with their offense. I think it may just be chance that the league has had 90% good teams for two straight years now.

A league with 5 good teams and 5 average to bad teams isn't so brutal and the calls to add beatable teams would go down, the computer rankings won't always be higher than every voter poll with that mix like they are now. I'm not saying I want ISU to be one of the bad teams, but when the league goes 33-4 non conference or whatever it was last year (and looks to be headed for this year depending on bowl matchups), good teams beat each other up and voters are idiots who just look at brands and records. I'm sure WVU and TCU would still be ranked in their old leagues, you're not rewarded in the slightest for your schedule unless you're a top 5 team trying to make the NC game.