Jason King: Big 12 Nonconference schedule analysis

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Our schedule is pretty weak other than the Vegas tourney. Need to start getting more quality games on the schedule.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
there are three ways to improve our schedule: 1) better exempt tourney 2) neutral court games picked up by tv and 3) conference challenges. right now we're 0-3 and none of those are likely to change.

the best exempt tourneys will keep inviting TX, KU, OSU, BAY, WVU etc and it'll be hard for us to get in the rotation.

we're not a big enough demogrpahic footprint to attract tv and attract a better opponent on a neutral court.

and other than the pac12 (which the b12 destroyed over 4 yrs), every other major conference is already paired up.

greatshu

Dec 4, 2007
KS
I would love to see Iowa State to play in Maui Invitational and/or CBE classic.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I would love to see Iowa State to play in Maui Invitational and/or CBE classic.

I went out to Maui last year. It's a blast. The arena seats like 2500 so you can see and hear everything from every seat. You see all the players hanging out on the beach all week. And it's early in the season, and it's Hawaii, so even if your team loses, you get over it, grab a fruity rum drink and head to the beach. If ISU is ever involved - C'mon, Jamie, show us what you're worth - I'd recommend everyone here to go.

Screw Allen Fieldhouse...The Lahaina Civic Center is the best place to watch a college basketball game.

cyclonefreak5

Sep 25, 2010
Ames
We were suppose to play Virginia this year before they backed out of it... so thats one fewer BCS match-up

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
At least we don't have Drake on our schedule this year...oh wait. At least we don't have UNI on our schedule this year

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i just don't see any programs of significance ever wanting to schedule us - there's nothing in it for them. no tv, no recruiting footprint, no "credit" if they win. every high major coach knows his fans will crush him for losing to iowa state.

i bet john belein is "thrilled" bringing his michigan team to hilton to face us with 4+ players from michigan and fred/corn recruiting all over his home state.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I went out to Maui last year. It's a blast. The arena seats like 2500 so you can see and hear everything from every seat. You see all the players hanging out on the beach all week. And it's early in the season, and it's Hawaii, so even if your team loses, you get over it, grab a fruity rum drink and head to the beach. If ISU is ever involved - C'mon, Jamie, show us what you're worth - I'd recommend everyone here to go.

Screw Allen Fieldhouse...The Lahaina Civic Center is the best place to watch a college basketball game.

Never been there for the tourney but I concur; Lahaina (and Maui for that matter) rocks!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
i just don't see any programs of significance ever wanting to schedule us - there's nothing in it for them. no tv, no recruiting footprint, no "credit" if they win. every high major coach knows his fans will crush him for losing to iowa state.

i bet john belein is "thrilled" bringing his michigan team to hilton to face us with 4+ players from michigan and fred/corn recruiting all over his home state.
Try "Strength of Schedule"--which is also why we need to schedule better than this.

Perhaps CFH simply figured this would be a rebuilding year.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Whole heartedly agree with you! The NCAA comittee will not look favorable on this if we are a bouble team..
QUOTE=gocubs2118;3101318]Our schedule is pretty weak other than the Vegas tourney. Need to start getting more quality games on the schedule.[/QUOTE]

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
it's better than last year, and we made the tourney, I don't think we are quite ready yet for a full fledged tough non-conference plus conference schedule. I think it's perfect for us right now. We are not Duke.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Comparing last year's non-conference schedule to this year's, using KenPom's pythag rankings from last season, it is clear that this season's schedule is worse, unless many teams on this year's schedule are a lot better than last year.

View attachment 15619

A big reason for this, as you can see, is that we went incredibly cheap for the guarantee games this season, inviting some of the worst teams available in the country to play at Hilton, which will do nothing but drag our SOS down from the back-end, even if the top-end games are more-or-less equal.

There's three games - perhaps four if Iowa is good; I think we all have our doubts - on the non-conference schedule that can help us with the selection committee, the two Vegas games and against BYU, all played within eight days at the end of November. Any other non-conference game won't have a positive effect for the selection committee. So how are we preparing for that crucial three-game non-conference stretch? By playing Southern, Alabama A&M, Campbell, and North Carolina A&T at home.

If we really want to invest in our basketball program, we can't continue to go this cheap with non-conference scheduling.

Last edited:

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Comparing last year's non-conference schedule to this year's, using KenPom's pythag rankings from last season, it is clear that this season's schedule is worse, unless many teams on this year's schedule are a lot better than last year.

View attachment 15619

A big reason for this, as you can see, is that we went incredibly cheap for the guarantee games this season, inviting some of the worst teams available in the country to play at Hilton, which will do nothing but drag our SOS down from the back-end, even if the top-end games are more-or-less equal.

There's three games - perhaps four if Iowa is good; I think we all have our doubts - on the non-conference schedule that can help us with the selection committee, the two Vegas games and against BYU, all played within eight days at the end of November. Any other non-conference game won't have a positive effect for the selection committee. So how are we preparing for that crucial three-game non-conference stretch? By playing Southern, Alabama A&M, Campbell, and North Carolina A&T at home.

If we really want to invest in our basketball program, we can't continue to go this cheap with non-conference scheduling.

the reason we are "preparing" against weak competition before the vegas games is because those teams are in the tournament - we have to play them, that's how those tourneys work.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
the reason we are "preparing" against weak competition before the vegas games is because those teams are in the tournament - we have to play them, that's how those tourneys work.
Can you really call it a tournament when even if you lose to a team in the preliminary game, you still advance to semis. That happened when Gonzaga lost to SD State two years ago in a "tournament".

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
So how does scheduling work for basketball? I always assumed that it was like football: you plan your games a few years in advance. Jason King makes it sound like you plan your schedule at the beginning of each season, or at least on a much shorter time frame.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
So how does scheduling work for basketball? I always assumed that it was like football: you plan your games a few years in advance. Jason King makes it sound like you plan your schedule at the beginning of each season, or at least on a much shorter time frame.

A good deal of it is shorter than the time frame for football. You can be filling in games pretty late. The larger home & home series are generally more in advance but not to the extent that football is.