If guaranteed a split the next two weeks....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
I remember in 2002 a reporter asking DMac going into back to back against OU and UT if someone guaranteed him a split would he take it. Ultimately, he gave the coaches response of not selling his team short which I appreciated at the time. These next two games are not as daunting as those two were at the time but I still ponder if guaranteed a split over the next two games if I would take it. Would you?

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Against a team we've had three straight close games against and Oklahoma State? Not a chance.

But ask me this at the end of the month and you bet I'd take the Oklahoma/Texas split.

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Absolutely not. We honestly have a chance to win the rest of our games. We had KSU and OU on the ropes last year and I think we can get them both this year. OSU, Baylor, Kansas are games we should all expect to win.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Probably wouldn't be too happy about it over the next couple of weeks, but at the end of the season if the split is the difference between bowling and staying home for the holidays, I'll probably look at it with a different perspective.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
The only way I'd take a split is if that guaranteed us a conference championship, and then only if the national championship is out of the question.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Taking a split means accepting a loss, and like the wise person said above, I now believe we are capable of winning any game we play in. I think this program is past being ok with losses.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Taking a split means accepting a loss, and like the wise person said above, I now believe we are capable of winning any game we play in. I think this program is past being ok with losses.
I think the fanbase referred to these as "moral victories". My favorite from the 90's is "Hey, we only lost to Nebraska by 20 this year instead of 63 like last year".... Ohh the wonder CPR has done for Cyclone Nation...

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I think the fanbase referred to these as "moral victories". My favorite from the 90's is "Hey, we only lost to Nebraska by 20 this year instead of 63 like last year".... Ohh the wonder CPR has done for Cyclone Nation...

It really is weird to think where we used to be. We used to have to be happy with moral victories to maintain any kind of fandom because rooting for a real victory was a pipedream.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
No, take 'em as they come and see how we measure up this year.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I remember in 2002 a reporter asking DMac going into back to back against OU and UT if someone guaranteed him a split would he take it. Ultimately, he gave the coaches response of not selling his team short which I appreciated at the time. These next two games are not as daunting as those two were at the time but I still ponder if guaranteed a split over the next two games if I would take it. Would you?

So you're asking me if I'll take a split as opposed to winning both? I'll go with 2-0.