ISU Themed Business?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clone4lyfe

May 21, 2008
West Des Moines
So I've always had a dream (I say dream b/c I doubt I'll ever have the funds to follow through on it) of owning my own business. A couple ideas I have had is an ISU themed sports bar & grill or an ISU store with clothing, tailgate items, and memorbilia type things. I think one or the other or both would be very successful in the West Des Moines area out by Jordan Creek or West Glen.

If you had the means of doing so would you have the urge to do something similar?

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Go for it... I heard a commercial over in Nubby land this morning for Husker Coffee... That is the name of the coffee.. Husker Coffee...

these idiots will buy anything with the name husker attached to it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think a location in Ankeny might be better, particularly with all the infrastructure being built there. It is the new West Des Moines for the metro. And it is in better proximity for the heart of Cyclone Nation.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'd love to do it but know that it probably isn't feasible for it to ever be only Iowa State stuff. There's a reason Scheels for example only carries a small amount of Iowa State merchandise: It doesn't turn over often enough to make a business out of it. Frankly I can't believe Cy's Locker Room on Duff stays in business because the place never has much traffic outside gameday.

On the restaurant side the same thing somewhat applies. Alienating the majority of people isn't normally a good business plan. In Ames a place like Wallaby's can get away with it because there just isn't as much competition and the cost of operations is significantly lower. In West Des Moines you wouldn't be in business very long.

Most business start ups fail so it isn't a shock if said new business fails. Most of the people who start new businesses have no business owning a business, hence why they are out of business within the first two years about 80% of the time.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
You're numbers are wayyyyyy off. 80% of them don't fail. Only 75% do. Wish that your numbers were off more but that is the reality of the situation. At this point I could turn this into a thread that would head directly to the cave, but I will refrain from doing so.

I'd love to do it but know that it probably isn't feasible for it to ever be only Iowa State stuff. There's a reason Scheels for example only carries a small amount of Iowa State merchandise: It doesn't turn over often enough to make a business out of it. Frankly I can't believe Cy's Locker Room on Duff stays in business because the place never has much traffic outside gameday.

On the restaurant side the same thing somewhat applies. Alienating the majority of people isn't normally a good business plan. In Ames a place like Wallaby's can get away with it because there just isn't as much competition and the cost of operations is significantly lower. In West Des Moines you wouldn't be in business very long.

Most business start ups fail so it isn't a shock if said new business fails. Most of the people who start new businesses have no business owning a business, hence why they are out of business within the first two years about 80% of the time.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I would like to think an ISU bar could make it in DSM. Hell, a ISU friendly bar, for that matter. :twitcy:

clone4lyfe

May 21, 2008
West Des Moines
I would like to think an ISU bar could make it in DSM. Hell, a ISU friendly bar, for that matter. :twitcy:

Yes an ISU "friendly" bar is kind of what I would do if I ever was able to. I think in the right location it could be a success. The clothing/accessories store was just an off idea. Somebody mentioned earlier the lack of ISU gear at Scheels and I can say with good knowledge that some of that is due to the lack of licensing ISU allows for it's trademark compared to what Iowa allows. For one reason or another Iowa State limits what it allows companies to put its logo on more than other schools.

CloneCat

Sep 12, 2006
Yes an ISU "friendly" bar is kind of what I would do if I ever was able to. I think in the right location it could be a success. The clothing/accessories store was just an off idea. Somebody mentioned earlier the lack of ISU gear at Scheels and I can say with good knowledge that some of that is due to the lack of licensing ISU allows for it's trademark compared to what Iowa allows. For one reason or another Iowa State limits what it allows companies to put its logo on more than other schools.

Seriously? Where are you getting your facts? Why would the university limit licensing products? That would be like shooting yourself in the foot. I know for a FACT that ISU does NOT limit it's licensing and has the same vendors licensed that Iowa has. It's not the university's choice as to what a retailer puts on their shelves. That is YOU, the consumer, that draws demand. You want more ISU product at Scheels or any other retailer, YOU have to DEMAND it! I'm sure that ISU is sick of being a scapegoat for idiots that have no idea how licensing works or how hard they try to get more shelve space for ISU product. Anyone with half a brain would know ISU can't walk into a store and say "put more ISU product on the shelf" without NUMBERS to show it will sell. It's business and a business decision that comes from a retailers corporate office most often far, far, away from where a retail store is actually located. Trust me, ISU will get there and once again become THE CYCLONE STATE but WE need to demand our product in the retail market and then BUY IT!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Somebody mentioned earlier the lack of ISU gear at Scheels and I can say with good knowledge that some of that is due to the lack of licensing ISU allows for it's trademark compared to what Iowa allows. For one reason or another Iowa State limits what it allows companies to put its logo on more than other schools.
You're wrong here. Iowa State doesn't turn down squat for vendors. A buddy of mine works directly with the trademark/licensing office. Unfortunately Iowa sells more than we do (not totally surprising because of the difference in fanbase sizes) and inventory moves faster. That makes for an easy business decision of which to carry more of. Our royalties collected has gone up about 50% since Jamie took over as the AD but it still doesn't get remotely close to Iowa's.

Some of the disparity is due to the BTN versus our TV contract but the rest is royalties:

NCAA college athletics department finances database

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Wow, I've never seen anyone get more worked up over collegiate licensing.

Seriously? Where are you getting your facts? Why would the university limit licensing products? That would be like shooting yourself in the foot. I know for a FACT that ISU does NOT limit it's licensing and has the same vendors licensed that Iowa has. It's not the university's choice as to what a retailer puts on their shelves. That is YOU, the consumer, that draws demand. You want more ISU product at Scheels or any other retailer, YOU have to DEMAND it! I'm sure that ISU is sick of being a scapegoat for idiots that have no idea how licensing works or how hard they try to get more shelve space for ISU product. Anyone with half a brain would know ISU can't walk into a store and say "put more ISU product on the shelf" without NUMBERS to show it will sell. It's business and a business decision that comes from a retailers corporate office most often far, far, away from where a retail store is actually located. Trust me, ISU will get there and once again become THE CYCLONE STATE but WE need to demand our product in the retail market and then BUY IT!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What i don't get is why i pretty regularly see online stores with collegiate stuff, and while they'll have stuff for a ton of universitites with smaller draw than ISU, they won't have ISU. So i know its not a 'what will sell' thing in those cases... and that points me to licensing. And i've heard more than once at various points that our licensing isn't the easiest to work with.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale

If a new ISU "friendly" bar opened up in Ankeny, I would probably be there every away game.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Couple Husker ballplayers bought a bar (Johnny Rogers) and a restaurant (Scott Frost) and they lasted 3-8 years in Omaha. What lasted was Husker Hounds merchandise. Now, my idea is to combine the two. Why not sell beer and T shirts at the same place?

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I would invite former players to be the guests and gave their inputs during the game or just have a "pre-game' conversation. I even think during the ISU-EIU game, if you can invite former Hoks and Cyclone players who used to face each other, that'll be fun.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
So I've always had a dream (I say dream b/c I doubt I'll ever have the funds to follow through on it) of owning my own business. A couple ideas I have had is an ISU themed sports bar & grill or an ISU store with clothing, tailgate items, and memorbilia type things. I think one or the other or both would be very successful in the West Des Moines area out by Jordan Creek or West Glen.

If you had the means of doing so would you have the urge to do something similar?
Do both, like Hard Rock Cafe style

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I always thought it would be fun to have a Cyclone themed bar really close to Front Row or The Longest Yard and have big street parties for Iowa State vs. Iowa...

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
There are constantly threads on here for people looking for game-watches for away games. I think your sports bar idea is good. I don't think clothing would work out as well, unless you diversified it quite a bit and made it unique.