Royce issues new statement

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Royce White explains absence

White will not join the franchise at training camp until he has "something in writing" that addresses the team's plan to treat his anxiety disorder and OCD, according to his publicist, California-based China Myers.

"There are often negative consequences to mental illness when not given the proper support," said White, according to a statement released through Myers. "Often, those consequences are more severe for the surrounding people than the sufferer him/herself. I am not willing to allow those consequences to befall on myself or others close to me.

"It causes me anxiety to know that serious consequences could happen if I do not express what I deal with, or if I am not truthful enough to ask for what I need to be healthy. For me, hiding is no longer a healthy option in treating my anxiety or OCD, so I have asked for some help from the organization to ensure long-term health for myself."

I hate to say this, because Royce is one of my favorite Cyclones ever, and I love the way he's gone public and told his story. But I think this is being mismanaged. I'm stumped why this couldn't be addressed in the three-plus months since draft day. And how, despite his quote that he isn't blaming the Rockets, this really reads like it's putting the onus on the Rockets to fix this.

I think Royce has generated a lot of patience and goodwill with his actions, but I feel like this could spark a backlash and hurt him as much as it helps. However pure and honest his intentions, it comes off as making demands and that's not good for a rookie who has yet to show up for camp.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Maybe he has attempted to get it resolved in the past 3 months and the organization hasn't been working with him. This statement reads to me as someone that has been well advised by his agent to get what he needs to be successful.

EDIT: The statement should not have been made public. I don't have a problem with the message sent however, it should have only been communicated to the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyfanatic

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Maybe he has attempted to get it resolved in the past 3 months and the organization hasn't been working with him. This statement reads to me as someone that has been well advised by his agent to get what he needs to be successful.

On your first sentence, I agree that's entirely possible. But on your second sentence, I think that statement reads like he was poorly advised to air his dirty laundry in excruciating detail to the public. It reads like it's meant to shame the organization. And for a rookie in an organization that took a chance on him, I just don't think he has the standing to do that. I have to think the Rockets are furious and Kevin McHale is getting a few "I told you so" texts tonight.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
On your first sentence, I agree that's entirely possible. But on your second sentence, I think that statement reads like he was poorly advised to air his dirty laundry in excruciating detail to the public.

Sorry, I should have qualified that this statement should not have been released to the public.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This is exactly what I was afraid of when Royce declared. Pro sports will eat you up and spit you out. It's 10x more cut throat than college. That isn't necessarily the best place to be if you're trying to manage an anxiety disorder.

ISU seemed like such a comfortable place for Royce that I was surprised he left.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this...but why wasn't this addressed better when Royce made the choice to head to the NBA? To me, it looks like the decision was rushed without thinking about all the things that could happen.

I really hope this doesn't kill his career and he doesn't regret declaring early. He's making a lot of money but with another year at college could help him more with this being that he would be up for lots of awards and have lots of attention on him.

Like I said, I'll probably get bashed for my stance on this...but this sounds really bad for both Royce and to all the people helping him out.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
My opinion is if they're paying him however many millions of dollars a year, maybe he should just hire someone to be his personal doctor full time. I don't know that it should be the Rockets' responsibility.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
CyCash, I don't think you will or should get blasted for your comments as they are valid.

The organization probably had (and still has) no idea how to effectively handle his anxiety.

Royce clearly did not want to be under the NCAA's control and that's why he left after one year.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
My opinion is if they're paying him however many millions of dollars a year, maybe he should just hire someone to be his personal doctor full time. I don't know that it should be the Rockets' responsibility.

Good point gold leader. I was going to say something similar to this right after my last post. Royce tried convincing the NBA teams that he would be ok and would settle his issues regarding his disorder. It shouldn't be the Rockets' fault that this has came up...it's all on Royce.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Royce has the help of his mental health practitioner and is doing what is best for him. In a lot of cases guys just go AWOL when they don't have the right support set up. He is doing the right thing and as soon as he is adjusted he will be fine. He is in a new city with entirely new people and a new schedule. It's tough on anyone, and for someone with OCD and Anxiety it has to be very difficult. He also has money to deal with(not a bad problem), but that has well known pitfalls as well.

I believe the Royce White story will have a happy ending. He's a smart guy, and will get through it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sounds to me like he may be getting some advice that is asking for too much from the Rockets. Surely McHale had some sense of what he was getting in Royce and was willing to do the things that Hoiberg had been doing to accommodate him. I wonder if some therapist is pushing too hard and putting him in the middle. Can you imagine anything that would be more anxiety-producing than your own personal wildcat walkout?

It won't surprise me if Hoiberg makes a trip to Houston to help Royce figure out what is best.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I know I'm gonna get blasted for this...but why wasn't this addressed better when Royce made the choice to head to the NBA? To me, it looks like the decision was rushed without thinking about all the things that could happen.

I really hope this doesn't kill his career and he doesn't regret declaring early. He's making a lot of money but with another year at college could help him more with this being that he would be up for lots of awards and have lots of attention on him.

Like I said, I'll probably get bashed for my stance on this...but this sounds really bad for both Royce and to all the people helping him out.

I hope you don't get bashed. I think it's an admirable thing for any employer to work to accommodate an employee who has an issue like this. But at some point the work has to get done. The practices have to be attended, the games played, the flights flown. And nobody knows Royce like Royce, so it is up to him to figure out what he needs to do - and what he needs the Rockets to do - in order to make this work.

That's what makes me so uneasy about this situation and this statement in particular. It feels really demanding of and publicly embarrassing for the Rockets, and in terms of fan support that's the last thing he needs.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
It won't surprise me if Hoiberg makes a trip to Houston to help Royce figure out what is best.

They'd probably talk on the phone but I doubt Hoiberg would head down to Houston and put himself in the middle. That's not a good idea and basketball season is almost here.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Royce has the help of his mental health practitioner and is doing what is best for him. In a lot of cases guys just go AWOL when they don't have the right support set up. He is doing the right thing and as soon as he is adjusted he will be fine. He is in a new city with entirely new people and a new schedule. It's tough on anyone, and for someone with OCD and Anxiety it has to be very difficult. He also has money to deal with(not a bad problem), but that has well known pitfalls as well.

I believe the Royce White story will have a happy ending. He's a smart guy, and will get through it.

I also think so. I just hope he is truly getting care that has his best interest in mind, not just the cause of anxiety disorders in general. He seems inclined to be advocate for the cause, perhaps too inclined. I hope his mental health practitioners truly have his best interest in mind. It is hard to imagine that letting something come to a head like this is good for him, unless something significant changed recently.