Recruiting and commitments....who's left???

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Saw this on ISUISU.com, i've added my own interpretations and comments.....

Offense
Quarterback
Jerome Tiller - Commit (Hard to keep this type of athlete off the field)
Josh Jordan - Commit
Brett Bueker (Prospect)

Running Back
Jeremiah Schwartz - Commit (Great comment by isuclones33 - Javorski Lane clone would be awesome!!!)
Bo Willaims (Possible transfer)

Wide Receiver
Jason Carlson - Commit (Instant upgrade on special teams regardless)
Darius Darks Commit (Be surprised if he's not Safety)
Lonzie Range Commit (after recovery from ACL - gets back to 100%, he will be a steal!!!)
Willie Carter (Prospect)

Tight End -
Carter Bykowski - Commit (Rumor he's moving to OL)
Kurt Hammerschmidt - Commit (hope the coaches got an insider view on him, not rated by any service and not recruited by anyone typically means - head scratcher of a schollie - hope i'm wrong!!)
Chase Harper - Commit (Not sure he wont be a DE, has the frame)

Offensive Line -
Ethan Tuftee - Commit (hidden gem)
Jared Edwards Commit (Indications are he's moving to DL)
David Grant - Commit (Stud opposite big Trey - bookend tackles for three years together...wow).
Adrin Haughton - Commit (Pictured him at DT)
Joe King (Possible Commit - Move to Guard....Road grader)

Defense

Defensive End
Jake McDonough - Commit (heard grades may be a question)
Tracy Robertson - Commit (last we heard he was looking)
Doran Guillory - Commit (either imrove speed or move inside)
Otis Jones (I think we're out here)

Defensive Tackle
Kendrick Payne (I think we're out here)
Joe Marshall (Hopefully with Minny getting other DT, he falls to us....still like James Brown better)

Linebacker
Ernest Ferguson - Commit
Anthony Lewis (Prospect - heard he has some negitive attitude??)

Cornerback
Ter’Ran Benton - Commit (Love this guys athletic ability, think he blossums in Chiz defense)
Leonard Johnson (Prospect - think he's ours to lose)
Demetrius Williamson (Prospect - Super Sleeper, has size Chiz likes)

Safety
Dustin Land - Commit (Love his attitude, all i can picture is a Nik Moser replica....hope he is)

Special Teams
Kicker
Eddie Carmona - Commit (Heard he had NCAA issues imagine that!!! JUCO Player)
Zach Guyer - Commit
Grant Mahoney (I hope we still offer him and have him compete with Guyer)

May not have stars that reflect a top 50 class, but, lets see how this class looks after the understand the system and Shep works them into shape.....

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Re: Recruiting and commitments....whos left???

Ive learned that you can get excited about recruiting, but you have to not read into it too much.

About 80+ schools out there could put together a post similar to that about their recruits based off Rivals or Scout.

With that said... looks pretty bleak for DL recruits after once looking promising.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona

I think Hammerschmidt and Willie Carter will be two HUGE surprises. I heard Hammerschmidt plays like and animal. Very aggressive and has great speed for his size.

Carter is also a track star. Long jumps 22'4" (8" better than my best ;). And also has a great frame on him.

I know people are in love with Leonard Johnson and I like him too but, I think Cornelius Douglas and Kendal Wright might be the better athletes. Very, very quick and elusive. Both could play on either side of the ball.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA

thought id heard something about bedford going to west virginia but with rodrigez leaving we could have a chance. not sure what chance that is though. also heard something about south florida being his second choice

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007

Linebackers are looking a little thin...:skeptical:

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006

I think Hammerschmidt and Willie Carter will be two HUGE surprises. I heard Hammerschmidt plays like and animal. Very aggressive and has great speed for his size.

Carter is also a track star. Long jumps 22'4" (8" better than my best ;). And also has a great frame on him.

I know people are in love with Leonard Johnson and I like him too but, I think Cornelius Douglas and Kendal Wright might be the better athletes. Very, very quick and elusive. Both could play on either side of the ball.

I agree. I think we get Carter and he, Hammerschmidt and Harper will end up being the stars of the class.

As for Leonard Johnson, I too thought that Douglas and Wright both looked quicker and faster. But the coaches have been after Johnson for a long time...maybe they like him better? Either way, I think that there is one scholarship there for whichever of those three commits first.

I disagree with the poster that said ISU should offer Mahoney. You can't offer two HS kickers in the same year. Even if they are both great, only one guy can kick at one time. And then when they graduate, ISU is starting over. They are supposedly bringing in Carmona. And they must have graded Guyer above Mahoney. So, let Carmona, Guyer and whoever else is there for walk-ons compete for the jobs. Then bring in another freshman kicker when Carmona graduates.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007

Please see last year's class for LBs.

Sorry about that. I looked once and thought we were thin there but after you said that I looked again and all is well...carry on.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Still need recruiting help for the defensive line. Need some instant octance for next seasson. Small defensive line means more work for linebackers and corners.

jose

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Paul Clark has a great article just up today about "who's left"... Would be a great time to do the free trial for people who are really interested... And actually this would probably be a great time to do a one month subscription since national signing day is just about a month away... I know it was Feb 7th last year anyways....

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines

Sorry about that. I looked once and thought we were thin there but after you said that I looked again and all is well...carry on.

No harm. I said the same thing earlier this week in a conversation and that person pointed me to last year's LB recruits.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas

I agree. I think we get Carter and he, Hammerschmidt and Harper will end up being the stars of the class.

As for Leonard Johnson, I too thought that Douglas and Wright both looked quicker and faster. But the coaches have been after Johnson for a long time...maybe they like him better? Either way, I think that there is one scholarship there for whichever of those three commits first.

I disagree with the poster that said ISU should offer Mahoney. You can't offer two HS kickers in the same year. Even if they are both great, only one guy can kick at one time. And then when they graduate, ISU is starting over. They are supposedly bringing in Carmona. And they must have graded Guyer above Mahoney. So, let Carmona, Guyer and whoever else is there for walk-ons compete for the jobs. Then bring in another freshman kicker when Carmona graduates.

Is Carmona still in the mix? For some reason I thought that fell through.

Nov 22, 2006

Saw this on ISUISU.com, i've added my own interpretations and comments.....

Offense
Quarterback
Jerome Tiller - Commit (Hard to keep this type of athlete off the field)
Josh Jordan - Commit
Brett Bueker (Prospect)

Running Back
Jeremiah Schwartz - Commit (Great comment by isuclones33 - Javorski Lane clone would be awesome!!!)
Bo Willaims (Possible transfer)

Wide Receiver
Jason Carlson - Commit (Instant upgrade on special teams regardless)
Darius Darks Commit (Be surprised if he's not Safety)
Lonzie Range Commit (after recovery from ACL - gets back to 100%, he will be a steal!!!)
Willie Carter (Prospect)

Tight End -
Carter Bykowski - Commit (Rumor he's moving to OL)
Kurt Hammerschmidt - Commit (hope the coaches got an insider view on him, not rated by any service and not recruited by anyone typically means - head scratcher of a schollie - hope i'm wrong!!)
Chase Harper - Commit (Not sure he wont be a DE, has the frame)

Offensive Line -
Ethan Tuftee - Commit (hidden gem)
Jared Edwards Commit (Indications are he's moving to DL)
David Grant - Commit (Stud opposite big Trey - bookend tackles for three years together...wow).
Adrin Haughton - Commit (Pictured him at DT)
Joe King (Possible Commit - Move to Guard....Road grader)

Defense

Defensive End
Jake McDonough - Commit (heard grades may be a question)
Tracy Robertson - Commit (last we heard he was looking)
Doran Guillory - Commit (either imrove speed or move inside)
Otis Jones (I think we're out here)

Defensive Tackle
Kendrick Payne (I think we're out here)
Joe Marshall (Hopefully with Minny getting other DT, he falls to us....still like James Brown better)

Linebacker
Ernest Ferguson - Commit
Anthony Lewis (Prospect - heard he has some negitive attitude??)

Cornerback
Ter’Ran Benton - Commit (Love this guys athletic ability, think he blossums in Chiz defense)
Leonard Johnson (Prospect - think he's ours to lose)
Demetrius Williamson (Prospect - Super Sleeper, has size Chiz likes)

Safety
Dustin Land - Commit (Love his attitude, all i can picture is a Nik Moser replica....hope he is)

Special Teams
Kicker
Eddie Carmona - Commit (Heard he had NCAA issues imagine that!!! JUCO Player)
Zach Guyer - Commit
Grant Mahoney (I hope we still offer him and have him compete with Guyer)

May not have stars that reflect a top 50 class, but, lets see how this class looks after the understand the system and Shep works them into shape.....

I think it is safe to say we are done w/ QB's. With 2 signed in this class and a walk on we are good to go.

RB is a little puzzling to me. We graduate Scales, Harris, and Bass next year leaving us w/ Arob and Schwartz. There has to be somebody else the staff is looking over. I hope this means that Bo Williams will be a Cyclone.

WR- Darks is a defensive player all the way. Losing Graham hurt us but hopefully we can pick up one more high school WR to shore up this class. We need playmakers at this position in a bad way

TE- I am very excited about this position. I think we got 3 guys who have a chance to be real solid for us. 1 of them is going to move positions IMO. Either Bykowski to tackle or the other two to the defensive line.

OL- I think the coaches have done the best job in recruiting the offensive line. Each committ seems to be better than the previous. With King and Grant, you have two guys who look to be great tackle prospects while Tuftee appears to be a G or C to me. Haughton and Edwards look athletic enough that they can play either side of the ball. Hopefully the coaches can figure it out quickly giving them plenty of time to adjust and improve

DL- Losing DJ Marshall hurt quite a bit. Like I said hopefully a TE or OL can make the move to the DL b/c I think this is a huge need for our team. With us losing out on Otis Jones, Marshall, and possibly Robertson we are going to need to sign somebody else that can rush the passer

LB's- Doesn't appear to be a big concern of the coaching staff which doesn't surprise me. I have heard they are very high on the LB's they redshirted this year so that is good. Still wouldn't be surprised to see us get one more here

DB's- Come on Leonard!! When will you committ already? He is a must IMO. He played well in a recent allstar game and looks to have great size to be a DB. Darks and Benton were huge pickups and Land could be solid. We need another committ here.

K- we are set w/ Guyer. I don't believe we will go after Mahoney

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA

I hope we are still going after Dan Hoch, he looks solid and landing him would help in landing his brother down the road

It would be nice to land gooden, though i believe he will be with OU

Leonard Johnson looks good. if we could have kendall wright, id rather have him

I would like one more defensive lineman, though haughton sounds awesome, if he can qualify he will be the major steel of the class. He had LSU, michigan, florida state and other major programs after him

I hope we will get a committ from somebody we havent heard of. its always nice landing those guys

JDB41

Dec 9, 2007
Ames, IA

How about James Moore at DE is there any word on him? I noticed on rival the lists have been shortened and his name is still on there I'm not sure if this means anything or not. Also I think if we could somehow get Kendall Wright that would be huge

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion

i know mahoney personally and he had a real rough year this year lost all confidence in him self got scared that he was gonna get hit and get hurt im not sure if ISU is still going after him or not but he does have a pretty good leg in practice

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City

Long time met scanner of Clone News, first time poster to this site. I did want to mention, and for the record I did not, repeat did not get this from Rivals or Scout, but I see from surfing the web a site has Kendrick Presley listed as a cyclone commit. Brief stats from this site 'Super Athlete' 6,1", 195, 4.45 40 time. Believe he'll be defensive side of the ball. According to other sites not listed on our radar, but shown as a commit on one. The other sites he's a solid 3 star player.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

I love going to isuisu.com for some information and pictures. I saw something about Christain Graham on there. I then checked rivals and I didn't see his name listed there. Is he a commitment or did he just verbal to us

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

Long time met scanner of Clone News, first time poster to this site. I did want to mention, and for the record I did not, repeat did not get this from Rivals or Scout, but I see from surfing the web a site has Kendrick Presley listed as a cyclone commit. Brief stats from this site 'Super Athlete' 6,1", 195, 4.45 40 time. Believe he'll be defensive side of the ball. According to other sites not listed on our radar, but shown as a commit on one. The other sites he's a solid 3 star player.

I just checked that site, and it has him listed as a recruit and not a commitment...unless im not looking at the right stuff