David Ubben driving me crazy

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
This guy is predicting texastech to score 41 points against isu Saturday. I usually keep my mouth shut about "expert" predictions but this guy is putting out mindless garbage. Tommy tuberville hasn't sniffed a W against Iowa state. How is Texas tech going score 41points against a top big12 defense, also might I mention they are on the road.

I mean at some point you have to look at this and say this guy is a total clown he puts no effort into looking into this program.

Rant over now I can enjoy my Thursday here is the link to his predictions

Big 12 game predictions: Week 5 - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
131585123_extra_large.jpg

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I didn't read the link, but they did score 38 points against us 2 years ago in Ames. So suggesting 41 points isn't the craziest thing I have ever heard.

D

DistrictCyclone

Sounds like someone's got the hots for Ubbs.

I think he lowballed Tech; I see them dropping at least 50 on us. EDIT: make it 60.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
41 doesn't seem ridiculous, I could see the game being a shoot-out. I don't think it will be, but it wouldn't blow my mind either. And the guy really does have the worst luck picking against ISU, so from a superstitious standpoint, by all means Ubbs, keep picking against the clones.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'd say it's high by 7 to 10 points, but some people might think more highly of Tech's offense, I know they've played a god awful schedule thus far, but they do move the ball and score points. 41 is not completely out of order though.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Didnt we give up 500+ yards to OSU, Mizzou, Texas, Texas AM last year?

With that said, I fully expect to have to score more than 41 to win this game.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So? We get the chance to prove him wrong in two days. His prediction has zero impact on the game itself. But let's not kid ourselves. If our offense is as anemic as it was against Iowa it could easily turn into a blowout for Tech. Predicting an easy win by Tech is the "safe" prediction until we prove otherwise.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I wouldn't consider us a "top" Big 12 defense at all. Linebackers we have one of the top 3 groups. Defensive backs and defensive line I'd easily put us in the bottom 5.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This guy is predicting texastech to score 41 points against isu Saturday. I usually keep my mouth shut about "expert" predictions but this guy is putting out mindless garbage. Tommy tuberville hasn't sniffed a W against Iowa state. How is Texas tech going score 41points against a top big12 defense, also might I mention they are on the road.

I mean at some point you have to look at this and say this guy is a total clown he puts no effort into looking into this program.

Rant over now I can enjoy my Thursday here is the link to his predictions

Big 12 game predictions: Week 5 - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

• David Ubben

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So? We get the chance to prove him wrong in two days. His prediction has zero impact on the game itself. But let's not kid ourselves. If our offense is as anemic as it was against Iowa it could easily turn into a blowout for Tech. Predicting an easy win by Tech is the "safe" prediction until we prove otherwise.
Well, Geno Chiuz, you will not get your old job back. I know you are going through troubled times.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I didn't read the link, but they did score 38 points against us 2 years ago in Ames. So suggesting 41 points isn't the craziest thing I have ever heard.

Well, if you're going to go by past years, our offense, which has never been all that productive in the Rhoads era, also had season-leading performances in both meetings with Tech. The last 2 years, aside from tech our offensive average in regulation has been about 18 points. In both years we doubled that for tech and 2 years ago we nearly tripled it.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Not sure we have seen enough to be considered a top Big 12 defense...hope that is the case because we are not a top Big 12 offense by any means! We will certainly need to be strong on defense to reach the level we hope to reach this season!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Not sure we have seen enough to be considered a top Big 12 defense...hope that is the case because we are not a top Big 12 offense by any means! We will certainly need to be strong on defense to reach the level we hope to reach this season!

I think with our defense we don't need a top offense. We just need a mediocre offense that doesn't go three and out most of their drives.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This guy is predicting texastech to score 41 points against isu Saturday. I usually keep my mouth shut about "expert" predictions but this guy is putting out mindless garbage. Tommy tuberville hasn't sniffed a W against Iowa state. How is Texas tech going score 41points against a top big12 defense, also might I mention they are on the road. I mean at some point you have to look at this and say this guy is a total clown he puts no effort into looking into this program. Rant over now I can enjoy my Thursday here is the link to his predictions Big 12 game predictions: Week 5 - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I could care less about his predictions, they are usually pretty predictable.

View attachment 15197

But would it kill him to do more than mention us once, while talking about Tuberville, in the Big 12 primer?

Texas Tech at Iowa State (7 p.m., Fox College Sports): Last week, the teacher (Bill Snyder) got the best of his pupil (Bob Stoops) for just the second time ever when K-State beat Oklahoma. This week, Tommy Tuberville will try to duplicate Snyder's feat and beat his former defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads for the first time as Texas Tech coach. The Red Raiders are leading the nation in total defense after finishing 114th in 2011. How long can they keep it up? We'll find out as conference play starts for the Red Raiders.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think with our defense we don't need a top offense. We just need a mediocre offense that doesn't go three and out most of their drives.

Agreed. A mediocre offense that can chew up clock and keep the defense from being on the field the entire day can still win in this conference. At some point though if you give too many possessions to most of the better offenses in this conference, they will put up points against even against the better defenses. We also have a weapon in our punter that gives us a field position advantage, making that our defensive advantage even more-so as we are much less likely to give Tech many short fields.