SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Will be a bit longer walk from stage door into the games without the raised walkways.

How does this affect that west entrance to hilton?

And i remember seeing the options presented on here awhile back, which one did they end up going with?

Last edited:

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
I will miss the raised walkways. Those were always the coolest part about the whole area. Would have liked to see some landscaping and repair done to the origional configuration than tear it down and make it look patchy. The architect used those as a key piece to tie all the building together not they will be all seperate. Kind of ruins the origional vision which was very unique. All in all saddened.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Will be a bit longer walk from stage door into the games without the raised walkways.

How does this affect that west entrance to hilton?

And i remember seeing the options presented on here awhile back, which one did they end up going with?

They went with a slightly modified version of option #3 (the one that had the terraces). Think it will look really nice, definitely a big improvement. Going to be a plaza with a water fountain between Fisher and Stephens, and an east-west oriented courtyard between Hilton and Stephens/Fisher, also lots of trees to be planted. Most of the elevated walkways will be demolished, one between Hilton and Scheman to remain as well as one in front of Hilton. I'm guessing ISU will post the renderings up on their fpm site sometime soon.

Last edited:

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Those pictures the daily linked are from the August presentation and just show the three options, they don't show the preferred design that was unveiled yesterday (good ole daily).

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Those pictures the daily linked are from the August presentation and just show the three options, they don't show the preferred design that was unveiled yesterday (good ole daily).

Don't happen to have those do you?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
They went with a slightly modified version of option #3 (the one that had the terraces). Think it will look really nice, definitely a big improvement.

503311b118d4d.image.jpg

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I wonder if they will use the outdoor stage and what looks like a video board, as a game watch area for away games. Much like they do all over Europe for soccer. This would be a cool thing.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I will miss the raised walkways. Those were always the coolest part about the whole area. Would have liked to see some landscaping and repair done to the origional configuration than tear it down and make it look patchy. The architect used those as a key piece to tie all the building together not they will be all seperate. Kind of ruins the origional vision which was very unique. All in all saddened.

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised when all is said and done.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I like the idea of a spot for outdoor music venues. Would be a much better place to do VEISHEA concerts than the depressing Mol Bio parking lot...

Should just go back to central campus. The best setup was in 06, with a stage on central campus, by friley, and on the parking deck by gerdin.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Can you post the details?
The design for plaza between Stephens and Fisher is different and now includes a water fountain and artwork, a fairly wide walkway is included that runs parallel to the event space just to the south of the initial line of trees (bright green trees), the walkway has permanent spaces for event tents, more trees and parking are included as well. Thats about all i can remember of the top of my head. Should be posted on their fpm site before too long.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Is there really a need for outdoor concert space? Or maybe they can figure out a way to use it for football game pep rallies and tailgating (food booths and bands playing before the game). However putting in grass, trees, a stage and fountain doesn't seem all that inventive. So when the trees are all finally mature (30 years) it will look nice but at that point do they plan another renovation and rip it all out to put in something new - like raised walkways?!

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Should just go back to central campus. The best setup was in 06, with a stage on central campus, by friley, and on the parking deck by gerdin.

Did you see what Central Campus looked like after that? I don't think trashing ISU's most charismatic asset is a good idea when trying to showcase the University.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron