Vikings New QB???

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
Anyone have any idea what the Vikings may do in the offseason with regards to there QB situation.

Tavaris Jackson is not working out while he has made some improvement I dont see him as a starter and I see it as a Risk for brad childress's career to at least not get another QB in his system.

Any Idea whos a good free agent out there ive heard McNabb (not my first choice) and JP Losman (Kind of fits Childresse's offense being agile) maybe seneca (oh the seneca days)

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Tavaris Jackson is not working out while he has made some improvement I dont see him as a starter and I see it as a Risk for brad childress's career to at least not get another QB in his system.

The crew doing the game yesterday was having an uncomfortable amount of man love for Tavaris...

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
While I would love to see the Vikes cut their loses, I would say that Childress will go with Jackson again next year (as does the MSP press). I think they will draft a QB with their second or third pick.
I would just love to see Seneca in purple, but I think Vike fans are in for another long season next year.
Has No. 82 been cut yet?

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
While I would love to see the Vikes cut their loses, I would say that Childress will go with Jackson again next year (as does the MSP press). I think they will draft a QB with their second or third pick.
I would just love to see Seneca in purple, but I think Vike fans are in for another long season next year.
Has No. 82 been cut yet?

While I'm not a Vikes fan, it was far from a "long" season for them. ROY honors, record setting rushing marks, and an unexpected shot at the playoffs right down to the last week of the season.

It was actually a pretty exciting year for the Vikes considering where most people, including myself, thought they'd be.

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
I'm fine with keeping TJack the starter for next year, I liked his improvement towards the end of the year. But they must bring in some *good* receivers. And please cut T Will, he is awful!!

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
While I'm not a Vikes fan, it was far from a "long" season for them. ROY honors, record setting rushing marks, and an unexpected shot at the playoffs right down to the last week of the season.

It was actually a pretty exciting year for the Vikes considering where most people, including myself, thought they'd be.

It was a pretty decent season, I think better than most expected. But the shortcomings of Jackson were definately exposed in the last few weeks when every defense stacked the box to stop AP.
I don't think there will be a change in the off season though. Childress has defended Jackson on numerous occasions.
I think the Vikes would be better off with someone else. Perhaps they can pick up Brad Johnson again, or talk Vinnie Testaverde out of retirement.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Take away All Day(agree with you there), and it would have been a VERY long season for the Vikes. The five win steak included one quality win against the Giants. I am a huge Vike fan and the majority of season was almost painful to watch.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Tavaris does not appear to be that great.

Some walkon competition next year? Bret Meyer? Tator?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
We talked about speed being important with our recruits, but it's not all cracked up to what some think it is. The only reason Troy ever got drafted No. 1 was because of his great combine. What did he have, like a 4.28?
If he does get cut, I agree he might not even stay in the NFL.

Last edited:

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
Yeah thats Troy Williamson 82 Talk about stone hands hes dropped tons this year and many last year i like the some recievers we got minus #82, Sidney Rice looked promising, Wade was ok, Furgeson ok (ex- FudgePacker) Allision another recruit showed signs of something at times we do need a few more recievers i can think of one in particular about 6'5 decent NFL speed Excellent Possesion Reciever.... Todd Blythe (wishful thinking haha)

Instead of drafting another QB id rather get an established QB but as of right now i dont see any coming up for free agency

jferg

Sep 13, 2007
Jackson did show some improvement toward the end of the year. The guy has still only started about 15 games in his career. I'm not ready to give up on him quite yet, but he definitely needs to come out and look good early next year. If he would just stop making such dumb decisions that kill drives.

One more good receiver would definitely help him. I liked how Rice looked this year. I think he has the potential to be a good player for the Vikes. Williamson is officially the bust of all busts. He has amazing speed, but when the good Lord made stone, he also molded Troy's hands.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Childress says that T. Jackson is further ahead than D. McNabb at this point in their careers but I don't see it.
Jackson stares down his primary receiver on every play. He has an odd long ball, seems to have far too much arc to it.
In the games when Peterson was picking up large chunks of offense he looked all right, when they stacked the box he started making the same stupid mistakes he has made all year.

I understand that this was his first year as a starter, and Troy Williamson's hands of stone didn't help. I'm not yet ready to throw in the towel on Jackson, but I need to see a vast improvement next year.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I think QBs either have pocket awareness, or they don't. After watching Jackson, admittedly for only 15 games or so, he doesn't. Those jump passes for interceptions should have coached out him by now, but he keeps regressing back to those mistakes when we are behind and under pressure. Ala, Culpepper. And Culpepper was three times the talent.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
I think you've got to cut Tarvaris a little bit of a break. There is not legitimate #1 receiver on this team, when journeyman slot receiver like Bobby Wade is your top receiver, you've got real problems.

The best and only outside speed guy, Troy Williamson, couldn't catch a cold at a child care center. Tight end Vianthe Shiancoe, hasn't been able to get open, and has dropped passes when he did, and i'll personally be disappointed if he's on the roster next year. Their best red-zone receiver is a rookie (Sidney Rice), and has been injured for a lot of the year. Robert Ferguson is a re-tread that really doesn't have any future in the NFL (i'm certain he won't be on the Viking roster next year). And their offensive line, while well-equipped to run block, has looked very uncomfortable in zone blocking for pass protection, all year long.

T Jackson has some growing up to do...i.e. less turnovers and better at reading/looking off defensive backs. But he's got a laser arm, good legs, decent vision, and will almost certainly be back next year as the starter.

MN will probably pick a journey-man backup QB next year, my guess would be someone like Chad Pennington. A guy that would compete for the starting spot, but unlike Donovan McNabb, wouldn't be promised the spot from the point of signing.

Jables22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2007
It's important whoever they pick up in the draft or in free agency is able to compete for the starting job.....i.e. not stiffs like Bollinger and Holcomb where Jackson isn't forced to improve immensely. I don't see the Vikes giving up a first rounder for someone like McNabb or Derek Anderson. How bout Sage?

I agree that a certain 6'5" Cyclone WR would look pretty good in purple. Anyone know how to contact Scott Studwell to alert him to go after our boy? I can hear Paul Allen already: "Jackson fades to fire, he's got Blythe. fade. corner. endzone. caught......TOUCHDOOOOOWN!"

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
We talked about speed being important with our recruits, but it's not all cracked up to what some think it is. The only reason Troy ever got drafted No. 1 was because of his great combine. What did have, like a 4.28?
If he does get cut, I agree he might not even stay in the NFL.

Exactly.....i always wonder about the combine superheros....he's one of them.....and when you look at his success in college, not that great.....#7 picks need to work out...this one didnt.....cut your losses.....

You know we should look at one thing....Childress has a complicated system, and TJack only started 16 games in his career.....i wouldnt jump ship yet....he's got ability....But, if you base it on this year, name Minnesotas leading receiver......didnt think so....now its either the qb or the wr may not be that good and ol stone hands surely dont help either.....

you get him a true receiver he can rely on and see what happens....besides, with big12 product ap in the backfield, he better expect they will see 8 in the box until TJack burns them out of that defense.....

Never expected AP to do what he's done,,,,very impressive especially when you consider that everyone is playing the run.....He's special.....

My wife (huge vikes Fan) wanted to know if my boyz would trade brad johnson back, she said they would be in the playoffs with Brad......

Besides the NFL rumor mill has D Mcnabb out of philly if you can believe it, and the locations on the top of his list are Minnesota, Chicago and then Miami.....

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Quarterbacks don't get dumped after their second year in the league. Next year will be a big year for him, though.

Troy Williamson being as bad as he isd is very perplexing. How could he have had such a good college career, and now he literally can't catch the ball?