Laptops in class?

Payne

Mar 25, 2012
I'm getting stuff together to bring to campus, and I'm not sure if I should take class notes with my laptop or the traditional pen & paper. What's your experience with this been like? I've heard that laptop bans by professors is becoming a national trend. What about at Iowa State?

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
Plenty of people use laptops, but I never have. I use a pencil and notebook. I know all laptop users don't get on other websites during class, but a lot of people do and it can be distracting. I find myself checking out their screen instead of taking notes.

Welcome to Iowa State.

ISUtamu

Aug 28, 2010
Paris, France
I always use pen and paper, because I know I'll just get distracted, going on CF, FB or whatever. I can see that from the perspective of the professor, if students are using a laptop they could not be listening, and just wasting the profs time.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Pen and paper makes you think about what you're writing when you take notes more, and it takes away the distraction factor for people around you from keystrokes or whatever else you might have on the screen.

It also reduces that distraction for you. I like computers for work, pen and paper for notes.

Reactions: ElephantPie

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Use a pen and paper and you'll retain more. If you really want to be on top of things, type out your notes into something like OneNote after class but don't take a laptop for classtime usage.

The vast majority of laptop usage has nothing to do with class.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I preferred a laptop, my handwriting is poor and much slower than typing.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I used pen and paper, but there were always a few laptops in every class. A little advice if you use pen and paper...write so you can read your notes at a later date. I had trouble with that and made studying harder to do

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
most professors don't ban them but will make you put it away if they suspect you aren't taking notes. more are straight out banning them though.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Most everyone writes more slowly than they type. That's part of the pen and paper benefit, in that it requires you to think through what you're hearing while you take notes.

It's handy to come up with good abbreviations to shorten up the process, too.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Most professors are ok with it as long as you are not caught browsing on websites, but some will definitely not allow them. If they are not allowed, it will usually say on the syllabus and be specified at the first day of class.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
I can see that from the perspective of the professor, if students are using a laptop they could not be listening, and just wasting the profs time.

The professors get paid either way, by the students. None of their concern who is paying attention and who isn't. That is the students' prerogative.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Most everyone writes more slowly than they type. That's part of the pen and paper benefit, in that it requires you to think through what you're hearing while you take notes.

It's handy to come up with good abbreviations to shorten up the process, too.
Taking notes isn't about thinking, you fool!

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I usually printed the power point slides if the professor uploaded them before the class and took additional notes on those.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I thought I was going to do laptop notes when I started college. Never happened. I get too distracted..it's not worth it imo.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4nwe7cW_og]student brings typewriter to class (CS 1301 @ GT) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOQLvz0dt24]Kid brings typewriter to class HD another angle - YouTube[/ame]

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I actually hate powerpoint for lectures, too. I grew up old-school.

Too many people don't catch that the words on the slide are not the entirety of the information. Those are just words to set things up or emphasize key things.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I graduated before wireless at ISU (therefore before the laptop craze), but if I were to do it now I'd probably use pen and paper for classes that taking notes on a computer might be hard (math, science, engineering, etc - hard to write equations quickly), and computer for the rest.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I actually hate powerpoint for lectures, too. I grew up old-school.

Too many people don't catch that the words on the slide are not the entirety of the information. Those are just words to set things up or emphasize key things.
So, like, I have to read the power point AND listen to you when you talk? Someone's getting downvoted on ratemyprofessor.com

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron