Snow Advisory

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This is just another example of us becoming weak. Since when does 2-4 inches of snow warrant a snow advisory? We've had like 10 of these just this year. Why so many warnings and advisories?

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I work in Nevada and I think they have a great big 10 foot diameter red dot painted in the parking lot. If ONE snowflake hits that dot they call school off.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I would say it probably has more to do with potential liability. Some lady takes her kids to the school, gets in an accident and sues the school district for $50 million(if noone got hurt) because she shouldn't have been going to school anyway.

And idiotic lawyers, judges and jurors fall for that crap.

For me personally, hearing the advisories, watches and warnings just gets me mentally prepared for the braindead drivers that I am going to have to deal with.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Visit D.C. or some other areas of the country. When we were out in D.C. they shut down schools and government buildings for 1/2 an inch of snow.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I agree dmclone. Driving to work this morning people were going like 20 on the freeway and it wasn't that bad out, drives me nuts.

I drove from Oklahoma City to Des Moines last Saturday in a real snow storm, now that was an intense drive, but fun.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Visit D.C. or some other areas of the country. When we were out in D.C. they shut down schools and government buildings for 1/2 an inch of snow.
I grew up in Southern California and if we even got a dusting of snow they would cancel school. It was rare, but it was nice when it happened. The snow would all be melted by 10am but they didn't have any trucks for snow removal or salt to put down.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

The reason for that is they do not have the equipment to handle snowfall and ice like we do here in the midwest. Having trucks ready to put salt down or the brine liquid as well as putting those products down prior to the storm is huge as far as maintaining safe travel.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
This is just another example of us becoming weak. Since when does 2-4 inches of snow warrant a snow advisory? We've had like 10 of these just this year. Why so many warnings and advisories?

I totally agree that our society is getting weak, but, like C-Pride stated, it's also the media trying to get our attention so we pay attention to their show vs something else and they make more money when their ratings increase.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
I totally agree that our society is getting weak, but, like C-Pride stated, it's also the media trying to get our attention so we pay attention to their show vs something else and they make more money when their ratings increase.

At the risk of sounding rude, the media doesn't issue the advisories, warnings and watches, they report them. So if you want to complain about the national weather service trying to increase their ratings, feel free.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I work in Nevada and I think they have a great big 10 foot diameter red dot painted in the parking lot. If ONE snowflake hits that dot they call school off.

In high school it seemed like the towns around mine would do the same thing while we still had to go to school. It also was bad when schools declare a 2hour late start at 6 pm the night before and my school would wait til morning and the weather was fine so we would be ontime and everybody else was late.:no:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Nothing like people thinking that because there isnt a layer of white snow on the road that it still isnt slick. I would like to thank the people driving 70 down a fully covered I35 for jeopardizing my life this morning.

If only people had half a brain. Slowing down 15 MPH only adds a few minutes to your drive. People around DSM think they have to go places as fast as they can, but in reality they only save a minute or two on their drives by driving stupid.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
At the risk of sounding rude, the media doesn't issue the advisories, warnings and watches, they report them. So if you want to complain about the national weather service trying to increase their ratings, feel free.

I agree that the local channels do not issue the advisories, but they do make a big deal out of things. They cut into the regular programming on tv and ramble on and on.

As I was driving this morning to get to work, this two 4WD vehicles split off to ditches right in front of me, and they were doing the limit on a day like this. You just can't warn people enough to slow down - there will still be cars in the ditches. I think this kind of advisories help reduce the number of cars in the ditches by tons. So in the flip side, more warnings are really to help people avoid injuries and accidents.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Nothing like people thinking that because there isnt a layer of white snow on the road that it still isnt slick. I would like to thank the people driving 70 down a fully covered I35 for jeopardizing my life this morning.

If only people had half a brain. Slowing down 15 MPH only adds a few minutes to your drive. People around DSM think they have to go places as fast as they can, but in reality they only save a minute or two on their drives by driving stupid.

I know for a fact I have more than half a brain. I don't think I have to get to places as fast as I can but I do have confidence in my driving so I feel safe and confident I can still do the speed limit when there is a little snow outside.

Its pretty simple really, don't go changing lanes abruptly, don't go slamming your brakes, drive smooth and you won't be sliding around.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I know for a fact I have more than half a brain. I don't think I have to get to places as fast as I can but I do have confidence in my driving so I feel safe and confident I can still do the speed limit when there is a little snow outside.

Its pretty simple really, don't go changing lanes abruptly, don't go slamming your brakes, drive smooth and you won't be sliding around.

You probably are confident in your driving but other people are the problem. Most accidents happen when you can't stop fast enough and a large speed differential just amplifies the chances for a wreck. There needs to be a compromise...some people need to slow down and some need to speed up.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
You probably are confident in your driving but other people are the problem. Most accidents happen when you can't stop fast enough and a large speed differential just amplifies the chances for a wreck. There needs to be a compromise...some people need to slow down and some need to speed up.

Curt is so used to passing people constantly on the racetrack he thinks it's normal to go twice as fast as everyone else!! :smile:

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I would argue that people who slow way down below the speed limit cause as many or more accidents than people continuing to do the speed limit. Just because it's snowy doesn't mean road conditions are bad, you have to know how to drive, drive straight, drive at a constant speed and you'll be fine. There is nothing I hate more than when I'm comfortably driving the speed limit only to damn near rear end someone because they think they need to drive 45mph on I35, and still PASS PEOPLE!?!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have to admit that during dry weather I'll drive 80-90mph. When the snow comes out, I slow way down and watch as others drive by.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I would argue that people who slow way down below the speed limit cause as many or more accidents than people continuing to do the speed limit. Just because it's snowy doesn't mean road conditions are bad, you have to know how to drive, drive straight, drive at a constant speed and you'll be fine. There is nothing I hate more than when I'm comfortably driving the speed limit only to damn near rear end someone because they think they need to drive 45mph on I35, and still PASS PEOPLE!?!

To a point I agree with you. There are people who drive TOO slow and do cause issues. But to say you should be doing the speed limit during poor weather conditions is just wrong. The speed limit is posted for use during optimum weather conditions, and even Steve McQueen should slow down when the roads are bad.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron