Dish UHF Remotes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I have my Dish Network receiver connected to a TV in our living room and a second TV in the bedroom on the second floor. The UHF remote doesn't work well from the bedroom. I found a diagram on the Dish Network website that explains how to extend the range by "back-feeding" the remote signal into the home distribution but I'm a little confused by what's already there and what needs to be added. Can anyone explain this diagram to me?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
You'll need the splitters and the diplexers.

edit: Also, the 15db attenuator.

Last edited:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
To clarify: what it's doing is using "unused" capacity on the RG6 to diplex the UHF/VHF signal which has been "combined" with the splitter with the inbound RF from the LNBFs. It's then "un-diplexed" by the other diplexer and then "unsplit" by the splitter. Maybe someone with more signals experience can tell me why you'd need a 15 db attenuator, but I have a feeling it's something to do with distortion of the RF signal.

This diagram probably wouldn't work if you had a directv HD system, since that "extra" capacity is used up now by the Ka-lo satellite signal.

If you do this yourself, I HIGHLY recommend using quality compression connectors on all the cable splices. That diagram looks like a surefire way to dork up your satellite signal if not done right.

editagain: Also, it makes a difference if you have a DPP or a DP lnb. If you have a DP, you will have two cables going to the DVR instead of 1 (or, if it's not a DVR, you will probably just have one). In the case of two cables, just pick one. In the case of one cable, just ignore the DPP separator.

editsomemore: Do you have the two connected via a dedicated RG-59 or RG-6 cable? If so, you can probably ignore the diplexers, and just use the splitters and attenuator as in the picture I attached.

Last edited:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
After actually pulling out my receiver and looking at the wiring, I think it looks like this currently. So, I'm thinking I just need the splitters and attenuator. Does that sound right?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
After actually pulling out my receiver and looking at the wiring, I think it looks like this currently. So, I'm thinking I just need the splitters and attenuator. Does that sound right?

Is it like that, or like this:

If it's like this now, I'd say just get two splitters and the attenuator. It shouldn't be more than a few bucks worth of stuff.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
There's a separator and diplexer right behind the receiver with one cable running outside. Then another diplexer outside with a cable running to the dish and another running to the TV upstairs. So, I think I just need the splitters and attenuator. So, is there some special splitter I need? And where does one pick up a 15 db attenuator? Would Radio Shack have both?

On a different subject: I also have an over-the-air antenna and I'm running another cable into the house and the receiver for that. Can I combine that signal with the dish cable and then split it again at the receiver so I only have one cable running into the house? And if so, will that change this remote setup?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
A little off subject but does anyone ever have a problem with signals getting crossed up sometimes? I have a DVR receiver that runs the upstairs and downstairs TVs and a regular receiver that runs the 2 bedrooms. Every now and then the 2nd bedroom and the downstairs TVs (both are the 2nd TVs on the receivers) may have different channels on but say if you hit the guide button it will put the guide on both or switch channels. Doesn't do it all the time though.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
There's a separator and diplexer right behind the receiver with one cable running outside. Then another diplexer outside with a cable running to the dish and another running to the TV upstairs. So, I think I just need the splitters and attenuator. So, is there some special splitter I need? And where does one pick up a 15 db attenuator? Would Radio Shack have both?

On a different subject: I also have an over-the-air antenna and I'm running another cable into the house and the receiver for that. Can I combine that signal with the dish cable and then split it again at the receiver so I only have one cable running into the house? And if so, will that change this remote setup?

yes, you'd just need the splitters and the attenuator. I'd try it first without the attenuator, just to see what it does. Radio shack could at least point you in the right direction. Otherwise I'm sure you can find one online. RF Attenuator: RF online part for example.

Well, since you're doing the "remote TV" thing, I don't think you'll be able to diplex both onto the same cable. If you didn't have the second TV hooked up, I'm sure you could.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
No worries. Hope you get it sorted out! If nothing else, you'll have a much longer antennae.