Worst Christmas Eve

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Obviously a Hawkeye fan ...

'Worst Christmas Eve' for Iowan stuck upside down in septic tank
The 77-year-old spent part of Monday wedged in the tank's opening upside down, with his head inside.

By Associated Press Last update: December 26, 2007 - 12:25 PM

DES MOINES, Iowa — An Iowa man who got stuck above his septic tank is calling it the worst Christmas Eve ever.

The 77-year-old spent part of Monday wedged in the tank's opening upside down, with his head inside and his feet kicking into the air above. He'd been trying to find a clog, but lost his balance.

He says he hollered for help, but it was an hour before his wife walked by a window and noticed two feet in the air.

It eventually took two Polk County sheriff's deputies to yank the man free.

He says he's very glad his wife spotted him, adding that he couldn't have lasted much longer.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm surprised he didn't get himself seriously hurt or killed by the gas in the septic tank. I remember sometime within the last decade a couple of firefighters on Long Island, NY got themselves killed by inhaling gas inside a septic tank when they were working on it (I forget exactly what they were doing). Although that had to suck, he should be very grateful he's still alive.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
What a ****** way to spend the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyjack

Apr 4, 2007
Melcher-Dallas
I worked with BOB for many years very nice guy and glad to her things turn out ok for him. At 77 he's from the old school:eek: that if it's broke then you fix it yourself.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I'm surprised he didn't get himself seriously hurt or killed by the gas in the septic tank. I remember sometime within the last decade a couple of firefighters on Long Island, NY got themselves killed by inhaling gas inside a septic tank when they were working on it (I forget exactly what they were doing). Although that had to suck, he should be very grateful he's still alive.

There are multiple fatalities related to "confined space entry" in the United States every year. While the (very dated) attached OSHA / NIOSH materials wouldn't relate to a homeowner working on his own septic tank, it does illustrate the hazard (and septic tanks are #1 on the list).

Confined Spaces Alert—DHHS (NIOSH) Publication No. 86-110

The saddest case I can remember in recent history was five members of the same family in Wisconsin; entered a dairy barn pit one by one (last four as "rescuers") and were rendered unconscious by the oxygen-deprived atmosphere. All five died...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Another Hawkeye Fan and XMAS

Septic tank snares D.M. man | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Septic tank snares D.M. man

BY TOM BARTON • REGISTER STAFF WRITER • December 26, 2007

Christmas Eve downright stunk for Robert Schoff of Des Moines, but he was able to laugh about it by Tuesday.

Firefighters had to rescue the 77-year-old when he got stuck in the opening to his septic tank.

He had dug a hole and reached inside to find a clog when he lost his balance and became wedged.

"It wasn't good, I'll tell you what," said Schoff, of 4300 N.E. 27th St. "It was the worst Christmas Eve I've ever had,"

The 5-foot-5-inch, 135-pound Schoff hollered, screamed, and hoped his wife, Toni, would hear his cries for help.
adlabel_horz.gif

He waited for an hour until she walked by a window and noticed feet in the air.

"I saw these kicking feet and ran out, but couldn't get him out," Toni Schoff said.

She went to the house and called 911, and two Polk County sheriff's deputies arrived to yank her husband out.

A Delaware Township rescue crew took Schoff to the hospital, where he was treated for bruises and a ruptured eardrum.

"How that happened, I don't know," he said. "I thought it was the end of my life. Thank God my wife saw me. I don't think I could have stood staying in there much more. She's my lifesaver."

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Its hydrogen sulfide gas formed by waste that can be deadly. It wouldn't be present in large quantities in septic tanks but it can be present in fatal quantities in manholes.

But that could not have been pleasant smelling your own poo for an hour.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
Having to spend Christmas eve in a septic tank sure beats spending it with Squawkeye relatives. The arrogant crap they spew stinks worse.