Any Cedar Rapids/Marion Cyclones out there?

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
My wife & I just moved to Marion this month. I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any old man bball leagues, church leagues, etc? Wanna get my fat *** off the cyclonefanatic website and get in my playing days shape.

Also,
If there are any hidden gems for bars or restuarants in the area as well.. A guy has to eat every now and then...

Thanks,

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
I can recommend an amazing Tia restaurant if you like that kind of stuff.

There are some Cyclone fans in Marion / Cedar Rapids. Just not many. Any don't expect much much news coverage on anything ISU.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Tomasos pizza, zoeys pizza, the patio Mexican food, the starlight room(bar food that's good), the Londoner( beer and English/bar food). My buddy plays in a church ball league so they're out there.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
One-half of me wants to commend you for wanting to get back into shape...the other half of me wants to condemn you for wanting to leave CF, regardless of reason.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Starlight Room between 34th and 33rd streets NE in CR. IF you like the best greasy cheesburgers around. Don't know about any hoops leagues.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Tomasos pizza, zoeys pizza, the patio Mexican food, the starlight room(bar food that's good), the Londoner( beer and English/bar food). My buddy plays in a church ball league so they're out there.
I would highly recommend both of these. I live in Urbandale now, but grew up in Marion. Great place to raise a family, IMO. Love the town, except for all the Hawk fans.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I'm a Marion Cyclone as well. Don't have much to offer on the league part of things, but you'll have to come out to watch a game. A few of us have gotten together in the past.

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
One-half of me wants to commend you for wanting to get back into shape...the other half of me wants to condemn you for wanting to leave CF, regardless of reason.

Not looking to leave CF website.. Just not stare at it for hours on end reading forums about Food Network shows & Giadia's cleavage..

Just looking to see if any guys get together to play basketball, football, softball doesn't really need to be a league per se.

Zoey's & Tomaso's were actually the 1st two places I ate at in CR/Marion area.. Awesome stuff..

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
My wife & I just moved to Marion this month. I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any old man bball leagues, church leagues, etc? Wanna get my fat *** off the cyclonefanatic website and get in my playing days shape.

Also,
If there are any hidden gems for bars or restuarants in the area as well.. A guy has to eat every now and then...

Thanks,

Bar food - Irish Democrat. (cheese wontons / nachos / french dip with cheese)

Pizza - Zoey's

Mexican - Veo's Patio (marion main drag)

Casual Restuarant - Cibo (border of CR and Marion)

BBQ - Al & Irene's (its a dive, but its good)

Nice Place / Steakhouse - Winifreds

Italian - Vino's (same owner as Winifreds)

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I live in Marion and I think you'd surprised by how many Cyclones there are around here. While still outnumbered, there is more than you would probably think. Best pizza restaurant and best restaurant all around in Marion is Tomasos hands down. Don't let these crazy people tell you it is Zoeys either, unless you feel the cravy for their Zookey (they have one of the best). As for softball leagues, I'm not exactly in the know as I only play in sand volleyball leagues. If you like playing in the sand too, Volleys on Blairferry is monstrous and has leagues running every night.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Im a CR Cyclone. Beer recommendation would be Third Base Brewing on the corner of C ave and Blairs Ferry, can find me there a few days a week. Not really any Clone friendly places here. The Alumni Association does game watches at Fieldhouse on Blairs Ferry. Zoey's is great pizza and the Irish Democrat is quality. If you like broasted chicken head up to Alburnett and hit Mahoney's, it's only about 10 miles north of town.

I'm always looking for fellow Cyclones to watch games with so hit me up anytime.

Also, there is a fast pitch softball league out in Ellis park. Friend of mine plays on Wednesdays. I can ask him for info for you. There is also Hitters, mostly beer league. I play volleyball at Volley's. They run leagues every night except Friday.

Last edited:

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I live in Marion and I think you'd surprised by how many Cyclones there are around here. While still outnumbered, there is more than you would probably think. Best pizza restaurant and best restaurant all around in Marion is Tomasos hands down. Don't let these crazy people tell you it is Zoeys either, unless you feel the cravy for their Zookey (they have one of the best). As for softball leagues, I'm not exactly in the know as I only play in sand volleyball leagues. If you like playing in the sand too, Volleys on Blairferry is monstrous and has leagues running every night.
Zoeys > Tomasos
Triggermv = crackhead

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Haha..... a common foe....... seems like we've had the Zoeys/Tomasos argument before. Round deuce I say ;-)
Should be an easy victory, you already admited that they have the zookey (which is amazing) The only thing tomasos has going for it is detroit style.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Zoeys > Tomasos
Triggermv = crackhead

And I'm not a crackhead. However, if I was, I'd get the munchies and go to Tomasos every time. Nevertheless, if you like going to a restaurant where you wait around for an hour for one of their 8 total tables, maybe you should shoot over the Zoeys.