How many of you don't have cable tv? And what do you do to see shows?

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I just have internet so I download anything that's not over the air that I want to see..but I guess I'm just curious if I'm missing anything you guys do and also to see how many out there like me don't have cable. My reason was mainly cuz I'm a cheap arse and think don't want to spend the money. The one channel that I would get cable for (Science) is not on any of the base plans so I'd have to get nearly the most expensive package anywhere else.

Anywho...what do you guys do? I do try to find streams when there is sports on but the streams are usually crappy. ESPN3 was nice but now they changed it so it's mostly just lacrosse or crap like that. I don't have Verizon for the watch espn so meh.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Have not had any type of broadcast on my tv for 7-8 years now. Watch everything I want online.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
No Cable here. I watch a lot of Netflix but honestly there isn't much on tv that I can't live without.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
No Cable here. I watch a lot of Netflix but honestly there isn't much on tv that I can't live without.
No cable. Use synopsis on CF to hear about the best shows. Watch paint dry in spare time. Lots of time to cook. Count birdcalls on occasion.:jimlad::GEEK:

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
no cable. watch shows online or borrow from library. Usually have to go to a bar to catch sporting events if it isnt on the main channels bunny ears get you.

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
For sports: Primarily friends, but occasionally sports bars (Wallabys or Bdubs)

Everything else: Netflix has all the old selection, Hulu has the most recent stuff

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
What do you guys do for sports you want watch? Stream?

The sports I actually care about watching on a regular basis come in this order:
1) ISU FB
2) ISU MBB
3) Minnesota Vikings
4) ISU WBB
5) Minnesota Timberwolves

For #1 and #2 between over the air coverage, ESPN3, seeing games in person, and clonezone I think there were 2-3 games total in the past year that I would have been home to watch and wasn't able to. As far as Minnesota sports go, even if I had cable I probably wouldn't pay for the NFL or NBA packages, so I've made my peace that I'll always be at the mercy of what gets picked up nationally. I'm sure I could catch more games if I was willing to deal with some of the shadier streaming sites, but I always get frustrated trying to get a decent picture on those sites.

I will say, I do occassionally miss watching random college FB games all day on Saturday, but that's not enough to start paying for cable again.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I've been thinking about joining this crew but haven't pulled the trigger. Cable/Internet bill is getting rediculous.

Especially if you have a newer tv with HDMI hook-ups, it's so damn easy to run netflix, hulu, etc. on your tv. Cable/Satellite are going to start getting more aggressive competing against streaming, I would have to think.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
We have a really good attic antenna that allows us to watch the OTA (ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX) networks. I watch everything else on my computer. Unless streaming of sporting events is drastically reduced, I will never again pay a cable or satellite tv bill.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I use Netflix for most shows not on major network TV. I go to websites of networks for some shows (American Pickers, Swamp People, etc.). We have an antenna for the local stations so I can catch Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother.

I listen the the gameday audio for my MN Twins games (paid for that). I watch videos of highlights after the game if something interesting happened. MLB.TV is definitely NOT worth the money (did that last year).

I catch all of the ISU football games, and the major basketball games at our local gamewatch location in Raleigh. Our bar lets us connect a laptop and stream games that are only on Clone Zone.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
I just don't see how you are able to watch live ISU games primarily over the internet. Take last years schedule as an example:
UNI - No TV (I think Clone zone)
Iowa - FSN (Cable)
Conn - ESPN2 (Cable)
Texas - FX (Cable)
Baylor - FSN (Cable)
Missouri - No TV (Clone Zone)
Texas A&M - ABC (OTA)
Texas Tech - FSN (Cable)
Kansas - FCS (Cable)
Okie State - ESPN (Cable)
Oklahoma - FX (Cable)
Kansas State - FSN (Cable)
Rutgers - ESPN (Cable)

Now to my knowledge, none of these cable games were simulcasted on the Clone Zone. So, without cable, how would you be able to watch 10 of 13 ISU football games last fall?

I want to get rid of cable, but ISU sports is, sadly, the only reason I am keeping it.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I just don't see how you are able to watch live ISU games primarily over the internet. Take last years schedule as an example:
UNI - No TV (I think Clone zone)
Iowa - FSN (Cable)
Conn - ESPN2 (Cable)
Texas - FX (Cable)
Baylor - FSN (Cable)
Missouri - No TV (Clone Zone)
Texas A&M - ABC (OTA)
Texas Tech - FSN (Cable)
Kansas - FCS (Cable)
Okie State - ESPN (Cable)
Oklahoma - FX (Cable)
Kansas State - FSN (Cable)
Rutgers - ESPN (Cable)

Now to my knowledge, none of these cable games were simulcasted on the Clone Zone. So, without cable, how would you be able to watch 10 of 13 ISU football games last fall?

I want to get rid of cable, but ISU sports is, sadly, the only reason I am keeping it.

The ESPN games were online. That is one of the downsides of the fox tv package though.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
No cable or satellite here.

I have OTA channels and Netflix to watch what I can find. Otherwise I can usually find an online stream for other things, like sports.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've been without cable for nearly 4 years now and love it. Here are the reasons I dropped it:

-Expensive
-I don't want to pay the BTN a dime of my money
-I can get nearly all my ISU or Chicago Bears games either over-the-air or online
-Most all the cable TV shows are worthless and most the ones I watch are on the networks

I catch nearly every ISU sports game either through the networks, Clonezone, or through ESPN3 (ESPN3 literally makes this approach possible for me). Essentially, ESPN3 gives you the College Gameday Package (including multiple ESPN3 exclusive broadcasts) and the College Hoops Package all for free (providing you have internet access through one of their carriers) which covers nearly every ISU game for the most part, except any games broadcast on the Fox networks. For those, I either go to a bar or a friends house to watch. ESPN3 also gives you nearly every other live sporting event that is on one of their networks (ESPNU stuff is sometimes hit or miss). The posts above stating that you can get nearly every ISU game possible online are not telling a lie. I'd consider myself somewhat of a master of this over the years.

Lastly, I essentially don't want any of this stuff on my computer either as I always run an HDMI cord to my TV to watch the stuff just like off cable in HD.

Last edited: