RECRUITING: Custer gets offer, makes memories on visit

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
so i'm guessing if Morris commits we will back off on 2014 PGs. We would have Naz, Morris, Law, and Fowler.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
so i'm guessing if Morris commits we will back off on 2014 PGs. We would have Naz, Morris, Law, and Fowler.

I'm guessing not.

Law is a walk on. Fowler is a walk on. Custer is highly sought after and we will recruit him regardless. I'm sure the staff felt really good about Morris and still had Custer come visit and offer anyways.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
As stated above, Law and Fowler have no bearing on recruiting. I also agree that if Morris commits we'll still maintain the offer for Custer and/or other 2014 PGs.

The 2013 class is intriguing/important as hell.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
It's very possible that Long and/ or Morris could be combo guards/ one or the other can play the off-guard. Up to this point, they've both shown they can really score.

Stinson and Blalock anyone? I'll take that setup any day of the week.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
they both could very easily turn into Bubu's. If Hoiberg didn't think so he wouldn't bring them in from New Hampshire and Detroit.

Think about it Nallen. Long played with Niang. That helped us to get him. Fowler is from Detroit where we have started to get kids and recruit more kids from that area.

Walk on's don't generally play for good D1 teams. Plus, you always try and recruit better players to your team

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Think about it Nallen. Long played with Niang. That helped us to get him. Fowler is from Detroit where we have started to get kids and recruit more kids from that area.

Walk on's don't generally play for good D1 teams. Plus, you always try and recruit better players to your team

Still if Hoiberg didn't see potential in either of them in wouldn't fly them across the country so that they could pay for their own college for 4 years.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Think about it Nallen. Long played with Niang. That helped us to get him. Fowler is from Detroit where we have started to get kids and recruit more kids from that area. Walk on's don't generally play for good D1 teams. Plus, you always try and recruit better players to your team
Still if Hoiberg didn't see potential in either of them in wouldn't fly them across the country so that they could pay for their own college for 4 years.

As long as they have potential to be good practice squad players he absolutely would.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

All they have to be is good teammates and practice players. Have you seen some of the walk ons in years past? This appears to be an upgrade.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
All they have to be is good teammates and practice players. Have you seen some of the walk ons in years past? This appears to be an upgrade.

You just proved my point for me. We have recruited walk-ons from New Hampshire and Detroit. Not Eldora and Sac City. Ellerman is a a good example of a practice squad player that probably doesn't have a chance at getting a scholarship. But if you bring in players from all the way across the country you have to have some intention of giving them a chance to earn a scholarship and not just being a practice dummy.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
So his offer came while on the visit but Morgan got his later that night? Recruiting is intriguing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So his offer came while on the visit but Morgan got his later that night? Recruiting is intriguing.

I wouldn't read too much into that. It could have been something as simple as with one his lead recruiter and head coach didn't have time to connect before he left town while with the other they did have a chance.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Hoiberg certainly isn't counting on them to play, at least not at the level where it would affect future recruiting decisions. He is going to sign the best PG he can in almost every class, and walkons especially will have no bearing on that.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Hoiberg certainly isn't counting on them to play, at least not at the level where it would affect future recruiting decisions. He is going to sign the best PG he can in almost every class, and walkons especially will have no bearing on that.

I'm just stating that there would be 4 players on the team that are upperclassmen and capable of playing PG, with at least 2 of them being scholarship players.