Position changes redux...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Was on-line chatting with recruit Jared Edwards Mom. She was saying Jared is coming her strictly as a DE. He's 250 and per the recruiting articles is really athletic.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I like the sound of that. The more options we can have at DE, the better. It sounds like Hammerschmidt might be an option at DE, also. He is also a basketball player so he's another athlete.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
Was on-line chatting with recruit Jared Edwards Mom. She was saying Jared is coming her strictly as a DE. He's 250 and per the recruiting articles is really athletic.

Thanks for nothing...this will cause him to lose a year of eligibility and his mom will be Miles Brand's maid.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I like the sound of that. The more options we can have at DE, the better. It sounds like Hammerschmidt might be an option at DE, also. He is also a basketball player so he's another athlete.

The Hammer also did the long and triple jump in track. Sounds like he can move for such a big guy.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The Hammer also did the long and triple jump in track. Sounds like he can move for such a big guy.

Yes, but he didn't do them especially well. I could jump 18'0" as a klutzy, rail thin 6-2 ninth grader. And I later I played hoops with Keith Sims, and even at 6-2 300 he could still reverse dunk. Don't get your hopes up, he's not another Jermeine Gresham in disguise, just a decent player.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
A friend of mine was back home in MINN during the fall and watched a game in which Carter Bykowski played. He said that Bykowski caught only one pass and was mostly used for blocking. It sounds like they want him to be a lineman I guess.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
i dont see bykowski being a center at 6'7". maybe a heck of an OT. (wheels you may have been referring to edwards not bykowski when you said that i wasnt sure)

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Its not smrt... i mean smart to lock them into a position for the next four years before they even sign on the dotted line. I wouldnt be surprised to see bunch of position changes once everyone reports for summer workouts.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
In the Spring, if Randy Kellman can prove he is worthy of quality playing time and Chris Lyle and Travis Ferguson improve in the system, I would like to see Rashawn Parker given the chance to move to MLB. I like Jesse Smith, but he is limited in his potential and Rashawn is often over-matched by o-linemen at the DE because of his size.

If he were at MLB with Cameron Bell and Michael Bibbs as the OLB's and Smith, Raven, Garrin, Means, Green and Mathis all fighting it out in the spring to be on the two-deeps it makes our team better. Plus, I like the idea of having RP be able to blitz from the MLB spot or sometimes put him in different positions in zone blitzes and, at times, put him at DE to run a nickel D in early down situations against the spread teams like MU and KU. The good part, if it doesn't seem to be working in the Spring or if other players are not stepping up, RP can easily be moved back to DE at the start of fall camp.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Seems like a bit of a question mark. After all, right now, we don't even know what weight Kellman will report for spring drlls at, let alone the position he'll be playing. For exeample, he might report at 6-5 280, and suddenly be a strongside end, a dt, or even that elusive quality center we've all been searching for...

I'd also be hesitant about switching RP, because though he seems more physically suited for a linebacker spot, he also took a great deal of time learning how not to be suckered out of position on the rush.