Melvin Trying out for Olympic Team...from Nigeria!

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Awesome for Melvin; I hope I get to watch him in the Olympics, but PLEASE, PLEASE don't get injured!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
good for him. Great opportunity. Hope he makes it.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Couldn't bring up the article....why Nigeria? Isn't he from Canada? Either way, I hope he makes it. I can't imagine that the team couldn't use such a complete player and hard worker as Melvin.

The article said his parents are Nigerian

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I assume he mustve received an email from one of the princes of nigeria offering him an urgent opportunity. All he had to do was email back his information including bank account number and he could play for nigeria in the olympics.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Couldn't bring up the article....why Nigeria? Isn't he from Canada? Either way, I hope he makes it. I can't imagine that the team couldn't use such a complete player and hard worker as Melvin.

shades of Becky Hammon?

EDIT: No wait, his folks are Nigerian. Never mind.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I was going to say that I hoped we'd see Ejim shooting for a spot on the Canadian national team someday, assuming they were more competitive in international competition. It appears, however, that Nigeria is actually higher in the national rankings. Didn't expect that.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, you'd hope with them only cutting three players, he has a good shot (assuming someone may get an injury as well).

This would be great for him in terms of summer competition and, ultimately, a once in a lifetime opportunity. Best of luck Melvin!

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Yeah, you'd hope with them only cutting three players, he has a good shot (assuming someone may get an injury as well).

This would be great for him in terms of summer competition and, ultimately, a once in a lifetime opportunity. Best of luck Melvin!

Unless he goes pro and dominates. Then he'll be in the Olympics all the time. :yes:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Good for Melvin, and best of luck to him.

I wonder...could Bubu try out for the Ghana National team?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good for Melvin, and best of luck to him.

I wonder...could Bubu try out for the Ghana National team?

It all depends on the specific nation's rules. Beck Hammon, who I mentioned earlier, played for the Russian National team, and I don't believe she has any Russian heritage at all. She just wanted to play in the Olympics.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
That is surprising considering some of the really good kids that have come out of Canada recently. Maybe my perspective is a bit skewed from our luck in that regard.

Well that's what I figured. I know NBA-wise it's only Nash, Tristan Thompson, and Joel Anthony (and I'll bet Nash doesn't compete for the national team anymore), but I figured with the slew of quality NCAA guys they've been sending down they'd be more competitive. I'll bet a lot of those guys haven't been integrated into the national team yet. I could see them moving up the rankings in a few years.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I'm pretty sure once you play for one country's national basketball team, you can't ever play for a different one. I could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It all depends on the specific nation's rules. Beck Hammon, who I mentioned earlier, played for the Russian National team, and I don't believe she has any Russian heritage at all. She just wanted to play in the Olympics.

She became a naturalized citizen after playing in Russia during the winter months.

Plus, USA Basketball wouldn't give her the time of day before that. Why not play where you're wanted?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm pretty sure once you play for one country's national basketball team, you can't ever play for a different one. I could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

That would make sense. Probably to cut down on mercenary players more than anything else. Aren't there a lot of African countries that will pay players to become citizens and play for their national teams (I remember this being a sort of big story during the last World Cup).

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
She became a naturalized citizen after playing in Russia during the winter months.

Plus, USA Basketball wouldn't give her the time of day before that. Why not play where you're wanted?

I totally agree. I have no problem with her decision. I believe she stated that she would have played for the USA, had they invited her to try out, but they didn't.