Kids these days...

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
...They can't keep there word like they use to. Since Fred came on the job here have been his freshmen recruits.

2010-11 Recruits:
Melvin Ejim
Jordan Railey
Eric McKnight
Calvin Godfrey

2011-2012 Recruits:
Percy Gibson
Tavon Sledge

I am new to the whole recruiting scene and was wondering if this happens often (keeping one recruit per class) or if this is a troubling statistic that could end up biting us in the ***?

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Damn kids, when I was there age I was drinking large amounts of beer, skipping class, and spending money on stupid stuff.

Now they just can't keep committed. What is wrong with this world??

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
These kids were recruited before Hoiberg was coach. Just because they were on the team when he started doesn't mean he recruited them. This system is quite a bit different than the one McDoormat wanted to run.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Other than Calvin the guys who left aren't big 12 caliber players.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Jordan and Eric were probably asked to leave or at least told they are better looking elsewhere for PT. I'd guess Sledge also, but who knows. Calvin couldn't keep his nose clean.

I wish Calvin was still on the team.

Really nothing to see here.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
...They can't keep there word like they use to. Since Fred came on the job here have been his freshmen recruits.

2010-11 Recruits:
Melvin Ejim
Jordan Railey
Eric McKnight
Calvin Godfrey

2011-2012 Recruits:
Percy Gibson
Tavon Sledge

I am new to the whole recruiting scene and was wondering if this happens often (keeping one recruit per class) or if this is a troubling statistic that could end up biting us in the ***?

Ejim committed to McDermott. Railey, McKnight, and Sledge were not very good and are not losses. Godfrey was kicked off the team.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Putting a class that Hoiberg had no hand in recruiting(10-11) on there is dumb imo. Every single one of those recruits had committed before he was hired.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
So they came, didn't work out and weren't going to play and left? Damn kids.

*except Godfrey,

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah, on paper it might look bad, but it's hardly an issue that is confined to ISU. As others have said, the first class listed wasn't really his, and I believe Godfrey would still be here had he not screwed up.

Of course, if Godfrey was here, that would mean Gibson would not be here.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Scholarships are only for 1 year. Makes nudging even easier.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

2010-11 Recruits:
Melvin Ejim
Jordan Railey
Eric McKnight
Calvin Godfrey

2011-2012 Recruits:
Percy Gibson
Tavon Sledge

Lucky for us he hit on Royce, Booker, Allen, McGee and Babb, so we went to the NCAA tourney. Also, we get to find out if Lucious and Clyburn were worth it this year - I bet they were.

Reactions: caustic217
D

DistrictCyclone

Lucky for us he hit on Royce, Booker, Allen, McGee and Babb, so we went to the NCAA tourney. Also, we get to find out if Lucious and Clyburn were worth it this year - I bet they were.

Exactly. Transfers > these recruits.

Given that Fred has been open about his strategy of using transfers to jump-start the program, I really consider the 2012-13 freshman his first real recruiting class. Okoro, Long, Niang, and Webster-Chan all seem like solid players with good character; I think they'll be here for a while.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
big1.jpg

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Putting a class that Hoiberg had no hand in recruiting(10-11) on there is dumb imo. Every single one of those recruits had committed before he was hired.

Ejim and maybe Railey were the only two committed to McDermott. Godfrey and McKnight were Hoiberg recruits. He also had to scrap those guys together so that first year can't be put on Hoiberg. Godfrey was a steal though.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Regardless of who belonged to which coach, 2013 could be as close to a make or break recruiting class for Hoiberg, as it will come.

We will very likely have 6 or more scholarships to replace Lucious, Clyburn, Booker, Babb, McGee and at least one open spot.

If we go 0-fer this spring, we'll be in a big hole next year. We'll have Percy, Ejim, Bubu and the 2012 4 signees. It's probably safe to assume at least 1-2 of those guys won't be as good as advertised (hope that's wrong).

We will need some immediate help in 2013, so that class should feature at least 2 Juco or immediate transfers.

1-2 transfers that have to sit out 2013 might be in order just to even out the classes and because we'll probably take out lumps that year anyway.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
I'm not ready to put sledge to bed yet. think he will thrive at iona. granted its not the same as thriving at Iowa state, but I think he will turn out to be a solid player.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron