Future of ISU Basketball

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
With the week off in bball, I posted my blog about our current and incoming freshmen...I'm pumped to see what we have!
Juice blogs » The Cyclones

Future Bright for ISU Basketball by Jerry Hales
:: December 13th, 2007 :: 11:07 am

We’ve been off for a week and there aren’t any games coming up soon enough for me to make a prediction (sorry Robert and Mattman), so I thought I’d talk about the future of ISU basketball with this entry. While we’ve struggled some this season, I prefer to think of our struggles as growing pains for the future. We have some great young players in the program, and some outstanding ones on the way. Here is a preview of things to come…

Freshmen
Craig Brackins- I shouldn’t have to say much about this half man half beast freshman. He was the second highest rated recruit to ever sign with ISU behind only Marcus Fizer, and we all know how that one turned out! He has shown many flashes of brilliance this season, and also has a huge upside as he fills out his body and refines his game under Coach McDermott’s guidance.

Diante Garrett- Everybody knew that Garrett was lightning quick and had great handles coming in, but in the last game against Iowa, he showed some defensive prowess as well. He picked up a steal on 3 straight possessions to turn the tide in the second half. With continued defensive improvement and some work on his outside shot and finishing in the lane, Garrett could be a horse in a year or two.

Lucca Staiger- Unfortunately this is one that we can’t really say for sure how good he will be since he is still in limbo with the NCAA situation. From talking to ISU assistants, they are extremely high on Staiger. It sounds as if he would be an instant boost in shooting, ball handling, and passing for this team, which are three areas of major need right now. His size and deceiving quickness should make him a quality defender as well. Now if we could just get him on the court!

Charles Boozer- Boozer has shown us some flashes in spot time this season. The younger brother of NBA star Carlos, he obviously has a different style of game. Charles is a good shooter and has some quickness as well. He is still working to find his role on the team, but as he improves defensively he should see his minutes increase as well. He seems like a hard worker, and I saw him in the gym every time I was there this summer, so hopefully we will see him continue to get better and better each season.

Clayton Vette- This is one name that is uncertain for the Cyclones. He has a good build for a Big 12 freshman, and showed some glimpses of ability to be a good post for us down the road early this season. However, he hasn’t played for several games and the rumors are swirling that he might not be with the team much longer. It would be a shame if he left, because I think that he could have a future with his build and scrappiness. If he’s unhappy though, I wish him well in another place.

Incoming Freshmen
Dominique Buckley- This incoming point guard from Michigan is looking like a tremendous pick up for Coach McDermott. He got in on him early and was able to get a commitment before the big boys came calling. Now Buckley is rated by some as the #2 prospect in Michigan and has really developed his scoring to go with his solid defensive and ball handling game. He will be a breath of fresh air as a true point guard next season and should hopefully allow Garrett the opportunity to slide over to the off guard position.

Wes Eikmeier- Eikmeier is another guy that we got in on early and were able to sign under the radar. He has been lighting up the competition in Nebraska and is already eating up every drill that our staff has given him. At 6′3 he has some good size for a guard, amazing shooting range, and is an absolute gym rat. Though he was signed before he had a chance to blow up the recruiting scene, many believe he will be the best of the bunch we have coming in.

Clinton Mann- Mann is a player that I am unsure which position he will play. He is 6′7″ and is strong and athletic. From everything I have seen and heard, he will be more of a post than a wing. He is from the Kansas City area and every box score that I have seen has had him ripping up some good competition. Comparisons have been made to UNI post player Eric Coleman, but we will have to wait and see what the future holds for Mann.

Justin Hamilton- This is the player who was a bit of an unknown early on in the game for the class of 2008. A 6′11″ center, Hamilton didn’t start playing basketball until recently, and was actually a JV player last season for his team in Utah. He blew up on the AAU circuit and started to get notice from some good programs. Luckily, ISU was the first BCS school to actually offer and picked him up. Many are calling him one of the top big men in the western U.S. now, and he has been dominating at the varsity level so far this season.

Well, just reviewing our young players and prospects has me excited for the future of ISU bball. With some of the younger prospects that we are in on and that have committed for future classes, the future looks extremely bright in my opinion. Once some of these freshmen have a year of McDermott’s system under their belt it will be fun to watch. I hope you stick around for the ride!

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Justin Hamilton- This is the player who was a bit of an unknown early on in the game for the class of 2008. A 6′11″ center, Hamilton didn’t start playing basketball until recently, and was actually a JV player last season for his team in Utah. He blew up on the AAU circuit and started to get notice from some good programs. Luckily, ISU was the first BCS school to actually offer and picked him up. Many are calling him one of the top big men in the western U.S. now, and he has been dominating at the varsity level so far this season.

It blows my mind that this guy played JV ball as a high school junior. Either they have a really good high school team or he was overlooked by even his high school coach. Lets hope his progression goes something like this:

2006 - Junior varsity in high school
2007 - Top high school big man in the West
2008 - FOY in Big 12! With Hubalek and Vette leaving, he will certainly get a chance for playing time.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So what is next year's starting line up?

Garret
Staiger (hopefully)
Wesley
Cory Johnson/Alex Thompson (or one of the new guys)
Brackins

no clue on this one.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think that's what it will be too mjones. Buckley, Peterson, Haluska, probably still getting decent playing time. Hamilton and Mann will have to be contributors. Hopefully "JUCO yet to be named" will be a contributor as well in the frontcourt.

Jul 25, 2007
I'm a nomad.
I'm hoping that Buckley and Eikmeier can come in and take playing time away from Peterson and Haluska. If they both come to ISU and stay on the team that is.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
We still need a Mike Taylor like player. And until we get one I have a feeling we will struggle on offense.

CyRide3

Jul 23, 2007
I really wasn't a Mike T fan, when he was here. But I find myself missing some of the things he brought to the game.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'm hoping that Buckley will come in and have a major impact on the guard court and elevate our guard play so that we can win another big 12 championship.

I AGREE THE FUTURE LOOKS VERY BRIGHT:smile:

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
It blows my mind that this guy played JV ball as a high school junior. Either they have a really good high school team or he was overlooked by even his high school coach.

He just started playing basketball 2 years ago after concentrating on football before that. Also, I believe that his HS won the state basketball tourney for both men and women. They lost almost everyone off of last year's men's team, but they now have 3 DI prospects in their starting lineup. They sound loaded.

Nov 22, 2006
I look for the coaches to sign a JUCO big man and possibly a JUCO guard although that is not as much of a necessity. I don't see how we can go into next year with Thompson and CJ fighting it out for starting minutes. We need a solid JUCO player more than we have ever needed one before

clone87

Dec 7, 2007
Solid post on the future of our youngsters. What's is your take on the future of our center position? The idea of Thompson starting at the 5-spot next year does not excite me. Hamilton, at 220 lbs, does not sound ready to step in right away and bang on the block. What are the chances of us finding a JUCO post good enough to contribute right away at this stage in the game?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So what is next year's starting line up?

Garret
Staiger (hopefully)
Wesley
Cory Johnson/Alex Thompson (or one of the new guys)
Brackins

no clue on this one.

Gym rat Wes Eckmeier will be the surprise starter next year. He is our pure shooter.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thompson will be fine as the starter. Brackins will demand most of the post touches, so really what we need is someone to go along side him who can play d, grab some boards, and hit the occasional three. Thompson can handle all three of those chores. I am more worried about who backs Thompson up.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hamilton needs to bulk up fast. Brackins was shoving him around pretty good in the scrimmage.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Solid post on the future of our youngsters. What's is your take on the future of our center position? The idea of Thompson starting at the 5-spot next year does not excite me. Hamilton, at 220 lbs, does not sound ready to step in right away and bang on the block. What are the chances of us finding a JUCO post good enough to contribute right away at this stage in the game?

I have not talked to anybody inside the program since the announcement of the departure of Vette, but I would guess that his leaving would push us in the JUCO direction. I know some are squeamish about getting a JUCO, but if you can handpick who you get early on it can be a good thing. I think about some of the transfers we've gotten and seen in the Big 12 as post players and a JUCO F/C could be just what the doctor ordered to plug a hole until more long term help can arrive. Even if we don't land a great JUCO post, I think Thompson will continue to come along this season and if need be we could rotate Wesley Johnson into the post some as well to fill in with Thompson, Brackins, Hamilton, and Corey Johnson.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gym rat Wes Eckmeier will be the surprise starter next year. He is our pure shooter.

Over who, Staiger? Considering both are shooters, I have a tough time believing Wes E at 6'3" 170 lbs beats out Lucca who stands 6'5" and weighs 225. I really would like to see the staff redshirt Eckmeier.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Clinton Mann will be a huge surprise. I have seen him play and he is the perfect PF in the Big 12. Very big body and plays to contact. He will board very well and be a nice defensive presence... IMO...

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Over who, Staiger? Considering both are shooters, I have a tough time believing Wes E at 6'3" 170 lbs beats out Lucca who stands 6'5" and weighs 225. I really would like to see the staff redshirt Eckmeier.

I AGREE:notworthy: